Ham in Sausage?

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
So got a little carried away on a $5.00/each ham sale at walmart after last easter. Got to thinking, Has anyone ever used ham in place of pork trimmings for making deer sausage? I know the salt content would be different but maybe back down on the seasoning some? The hams are also very fatty i found out which might aid in sausage.. Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
fascinating idea!

DO IT... DO IT... DO IT...

(on a test batch anyway)

- - - Updated - - -

I'd still "sausage season" but without the salt... just the herbs/spices.

- - - Updated - - -

add the pink salt if you're smoking the sausage of course

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Never tried ham but have used bacon ends and pieces. Must not have used enough bacon as I found very little difference in the taste. Probably because sausage seasoning is pretty powerful and a person uses quite a bit of the seasoning.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I have used ham in the making of sausage. Like you, I got a bunch of it cheaper than pork trimmings or boston butts.

It was fine, but as noted above it didn't really stand out in the traditional Italian sausage recipes I tend to make. This was quite a few years ago and I haven't even really thought of it since. As I recall, I still ended up adding some pork trimmings to boost the fat content.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried it one year after a buddies suggestion. While it worked it didn't have enough fat and had a bit different flavor, went back to pork butts.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I'd go all in on a batch of sausage, I'd cook some venison, heat up some ham, put them together, and find out if I even like the taste of the two meats together. That said, I don't think the combo would be bad at all. Good Luck and let us know how it turns out.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Trying a small batch is good advice when ever trying a new recipe for sausage. Nothing like eating 25# of a sausage that even you don't like.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't do it personally. Ham is already salted and contains nitrates (and a lot of times pre-cooked)so that would likely alter your recipe and you wouldn't have a good idea of how to adjust for those accordingly. Deer sausage is a very strict tradition in our family and we never stray from the tried and true recipe as it has stood up for many many moons haha.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a ham sammich, ham and eggs, etc. Do not put it in perfectly good sausage just to provide filler.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a ham sammich, ham and eggs, etc. Do not put it in perfectly good sausage just to provide filler.

Amen! There are way too many good things to make with ham to go throwin it in with sausage. Scalloped potatoes w/ham and ham salad sandwiches are 2 of my favorite things.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had baked teardrop ham Sunday for supper, scalloped potatoes and ham for supper Monday and having scrambled eggs and ham with hash browns for supper tomorrow night. In my opinion ham in sausage would be ;:;barf

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Food pantries are always looking for food this time of year, especially with the holidays on the doorstep. I mean, if you're just looking to make use of the ham and the consensus is that it'll suck, may as well do something with them so they don't go to waste. Think of the little children.....

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
we mixed up 20 lbs of it last year. it was alright. We used 10 lbs of ground ham and 10 lbs of our pork sausage. Tasted alright, a good change of pace, but i wouldn't want a bunch of it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55