Founding Member
My wife's deer.

20191118_082032.jpg
20191118_081945.jpg
20191118_100922.jpg

Last edited:

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Only my brother drew a tag this year, he and my dad and I went out on opener and he was able to tag out on a non typical buck on the second day on our farm. I have no idea how to post pictures to this site though

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to the man himself, it grossed 224 non typical. Assuming you are referring to the same deer.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
No ND tag.

I did get a deer in WY, the lowly, over-rated, outdated, 270Win M70Fwt just barely limped over the 560yd finish line:

fullsizeoutput_bd6.jpg

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
3A981801-F4F8-4E5B-BEED-89AA7209C600.jpgWas able to fill my tag on a good one. Missed him one morning but found where he was hiding a couple days later. Was shaking like a leaf when he stepped out and his rack was sky lined in the sunset.

Last edited:

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Candace 2019.jpgTaeghan 19.jpg

Wife got her tag filled, I got my doe tag filled, and my daughter filled her youth tag. Her first buck is bigger than my first buck so she was was happy about that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
No shit right? Looks like alot of nice deer taken this year especially mule deer. Makes me wonder if we will even have any muley bucks left after this season........ worst part of that website is their is probably thousands of blue-platers and sconis sitting at their computer screen just punchin the ol’ clown to these photos. They need a cap on muley bow tags before its too late.

I am pretty sure there is a cap on "any deer" non-resident archery tags. Which are the only ones you can use to stick a muley.

- - - Updated - - -

No ND tag.

I did get a deer in WY, the lowly, over-rated, outdated, 270Win M70Fwt just barely limped over the 560yd finish line:

ewhflSw2.jpg

That's a great consolation prize. The blue taped wonder strikes again!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
2019 Deer.jpg

I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a horn hunter. In fact, the quicker I can fill my tag, the happier I am. It means more time over the weekend with my family back home, and more time to take care and butcher my deer as best I can.

So on Friday, at 12:15, when the first deer that came by was a buck, I should have shot it. For some reason it just looked small. Big body, but small rack. Normally this wouldn't matter. But I hestiated as he ran past me in the woods at 50 yards.

"Boy, that sure is a big bodied deer," I says to myself.

Then he stops, facing away from me, and turns back to watch a doe coming through the woods.

"Damn he's wide," I says to myself.

And just like that, the buck is gone.

And for the next four hours, I kick myself for not taking him when I had the chance. "Never pass a deer up the first day you'd shoot on the last day," isn't that what they say??

So at 3:30, I hear some noise to the north, and see the not-so-pleasant blaze orange outline of a feller walking through the woods. That would be why it's been dead quiet since 2. He finally sees me sitting on my stool, waves, then pauses. I can tell he wants to walk right past me, and for a minute I think he's actually going to have the guts to do that. But instead, he takes the high road, walks west up the ridge, and meets up with his buddy.

That's it for me. No way I'm seeing another deer through here before dark.

But there's this nagging in my head. I can't leave. Uncle Paul always said, "Just sit down and don't move. Deer don't care about us. They'll still come through." And that advise has stuck with me all these years. And it pays off, time and time again.

So I decide to do something sort of in between his advise: I'll walk up to the ridge so that I can still keep an eye on the woods behind me, but at least I'll have a view of the open country to the West in case those guys shag something my way.

Well 4:30, I catch movement out of my peripheral. Wouldn't you know it, a doe is skirting from the north to the south through the woods. A 60-yard chip shot had I been sitting in the spot I'd started the day at (and had I a doe tag). She's coming the same direction those guys walked an hour earlier, so clearly Uncle Paul knows what he's talking about.

She's got that nervous thing going on, and keeps trotting a few steps, stopping, and looking behind her.

My heart starts pounding. I know that that means. Just as she is out of sight to the south, out pops Mr. Buck full of piss and vinegar. He's hot on her trail, sniffing and softing grunting toward her. Now I'm in a pickle, because while I can certainly see him, my shooting lanes are pencil thick. He stops, I raise the rifle, then he's gone again. I keep losing him in my scope and can't keep up with him. Anxiety is causing my heart to pound even harder, I can feel my breath get shorter.

Then I see an opening. There's another small break in the trees, and I know exactly where he's going to step out. I keep both eyes open, get the scope up, and wait.

Mind you, this entire sequence couldn't have taken more than a few seconds, but it feels like forever.

Then he takes that step. I see his head, neck, shoulder.

Bang!

I quick rack a second shot, but it's not needed. He takes two steps and falls over.

For the first time in years, I get the shakes. I set my gun down and thank Grandpa Vern and Grandpa Ray, who I lost two months apart this fall. I think the good Lord for making it a clean kill. Then I go down and thank the buck, for giving me one last shot at redemption, and feeding my family this year.

I don't get him gutted and dragged out until well after dark, but I did get the opportunity to take a quick break from pulling and watch a most excellent sunset.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20210812-101939_Chrome.jpg

I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a horn hunter. In fact, the quicker I can fill my tag, the happier I am. It means more time over the weekend with my family back home, and more time to take care and butcher my deer as best I can.

So on Friday, at 12:15, when the first deer that came by was a buck, I should have shot it. For some reason it just looked small. Big body, but small rack. Normally this wouldn't matter. But I hestiated as he ran past me in the woods at 50 yards.

"Boy, that sure is a big bodied deer," I says to myself.

Then he stops, facing away from me, and turns back to watch a doe coming through the woods.

"Damn he's wide," I says to myself.

And just like that, the buck is gone.

And for the next four hours, I kick myself for not taking him when I had the chance. "Never pass a deer up the first day you'd shoot on the last day," isn't that what they say??

So at 3:30, I hear some noise to the north, and see the not-so-pleasant blaze orange outline of a feller walking through the woods. That would be why it's been dead quiet since 2. He finally sees me sitting on my stool, waves, then pauses. I can tell he wants to walk right past me, and for a minute I think he's actually going to have the guts to do that. But instead, he takes the high road, walks west up the ridge, and meets up with his buddy.

That's it for me. No way I'm seeing another deer through here before dark.

But there's this nagging in my head. I can't leave. Uncle Paul always said, "Just sit down and don't move. Deer don't care about us. They'll still come through." And that advise has stuck with me all these years. And it pays off, time and time again.

So I decide to do something sort of in between his advise: I'll walk up to the ridge so that I can still keep an eye on the woods behind me, but at least I'll have a view of the open country to the West in case those guys shag something my way.

Well 4:30, I catch movement out of my peripheral. Wouldn't you know it, a doe is skirting from the north to the south through the woods. A 60-yard chip shot had I been sitting in the spot I'd started the day at (and had I a doe tag). She's coming the same direction those guys walked an hour earlier, so clearly Uncle Paul knows what he's talking about.

She's got that nervous thing going on, and keeps trotting a few steps, stopping, and looking behind her.

My heart starts pounding. I know that that means. Just as she is out of sight to the south, out pops Mr. Buck full of piss and vinegar. He's hot on her trail, sniffing and softing grunting toward her. Now I'm in a pickle, because while I can certainly see him, my shooting lanes are pencil thick. He stops, I raise the rifle, then he's gone again. I keep losing him in my scope and can't keep up with him. Anxiety is causing my heart to pound even harder, I can feel my breath get shorter.

Then I see an opening. There's another small break in the trees, and I know exactly where he's going to step out. I keep both eyes open, get the scope up, and wait.

Mind you, this entire sequence couldn't have taken more than a few seconds, but it feels like forever.

Then he takes that step. I see his head, neck, shoulder.

Bang!

I quick rack a second shot, but it's not needed. He takes two steps and falls over.

For the first time in years, I get the shakes. I set my gun down and thank Grandpa Vern and Grandpa Ray, who I lost two months apart this fall. I think the good Lord for making it a clean kill. Then I go down and thank the buck, for giving me one last shot at redemption, and feeding my family this year.

I don't get him gutted and dragged out until well after dark, but I did get the opportunity to take a quick break from pulling and watch a most excellent sunset.

Great story, and beautiful picture! You should be writing for a magazine! I was sitting right next to you out in the woods. Congrats on a great deer!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There were six in our outfit but hunted in separate groups as we had a whitetail doe, wt buck, and 4 muley bucks. Had them all on the ground by the first Wednesday. My wt buck has 5 points but nothing spectacular, Muley bucks were all nice, with one monster. I don't own the pics so I cant really put them on here. I'm having happy hour with the monster shooter tonight and will ask him if I can show his pic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
There were six in our outfit but hunted in separate groups as we had a whitetail doe, wt buck, and 4 muley bucks. Had them all on the ground by the first Wednesday. My wt buck has 5 points but nothing spectacular, Muley bucks were all nice, with one monster. I don't own the pics so I cant really put them on here. I'm having happy hour with the monster shooter tonight and will ask him if I can show his pic.

NO!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The blue taped wonder strikes again!

They've all got blue tape on them, there isn't "1" blue taped wonder. Cripes, there's not even "1" M70 Fwt 270Win.

Ducky, that's a pretty picture!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84