Booby traps in corn field

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot][h=1]‘Booby traps’ found in Minnesota cornfield raise vandalism worries[/h][FONT=&quot]“Obviously, there was some intent there to do some damage,” Meeker County Sheriff Brian Cruze said.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Written By: Tim Nelson / Minnesota Public Radio | Nov 21st 2019 - 11am.[/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
  • [FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

74584579_10216745094599861_380479526276169728_o.jpg

[FONT=&quot]In this photo posted by Mindy Harshman Johnson on Facebook, a chain is seen among the stalks about 10 miles west of Hutchinson, Minn.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]At least one Minnesota farm family harvesting corn this fall found what authorities are describing as “booby traps” in their fields, possibly aimed at damaging farm equipment.

Meeker County Sheriff Brian Cruze says a farmer near Cedar Mills on Monday reported minor damage to a combine from chain drawn into the machine during harvesting.
He said any speculation on the motive was premature, and that the chain may have been in the corn for weeks or months.
“They initially picked up a chain in the combine, but they were kind of close to the road, and from what he described it, when you’re close to the road you pick up stuff that’s been thrown off of the road.
“So they really didn’t think a whole lot about it. But then they got into the corn, quite a ways into the corn, and it happened again,” Cruze said.

The second incident involved what appeared to be a 6-foot piece of steel rebar pounded into the ground near a cornstalk where it was hard to see, said Mindy Johnson, whose family farms about 2,000 acres of corn and soybeans.
That’s what prompted a call to authorities, she said. Her family’s combine, like most others, is fitted with a “slip clutch” that prevents damage from such objects, but she said it’s still concerning and still could have hurt someone under the right circumstances.
“Obviously, there was some intent there to do some damage,” the sheriff said.
Johnson posted a photo of chain wrapped around a corn stalk on Facebook, and said she’s been hearing and getting similar photos from other farmers in Minnesota and elsewhere.

“A lot of people just don’t think about reporting it. I have just been surprised to hear all of the other stories that people are sharing,” she said. “We just need to come together as a farming community on this and be watching out for each other.”
She said she doesn’t know why her family’s farm would be singled out and that their fields are largely indistinguishable from others in the area.
“There is no known (similar) reports that we know of at this point, in Minnesota,” Cruze said. “So we are asking the public for their assistance. If there’s another incident like this about it, we want to know about it. Or if anybody knows anything about this we want to know about it.”
A spokesperson for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture said they hadn’t heard of any similar incidents there.
A similar spate of vandalism was reported in Ontario near Ottawa in 2017.

[/FONT]

[/FONT]

What the heck is the matter with people? Guess someone wouldn't let them hunt the field? Just kidding.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
probably the local implement dealer --- #lowcroppricesneedssomecashflow

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably one neighbor outbid or took land away from another and made enemies. Another possibility is maybe someone was screwing someone elses wife and also made an enemy.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Terrible as it is, just food for thought for the next looser to come along. ( Copy cat) a

emerald

Established Member
john deere would eat that up and shit it hard,not!,claas maybe,carry rock insurance, lots,looks like its someone whos,[ meth were on it] sodakkers for sure,see[hot gov]s-l200.jpg what you started

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Many years ago when they still ran wind rows before combining, somebody put a 10 ft chunk of log chain in one of my uncles wind rows. Did over 40K worth of damage to the machine when it went through. My uncle always had good relationships with the neighbors so everyone was at a loss to figure out why someone would do this. Most thought it was a random act of stupidity until another neighbor about 5 miles away had the same thing happen. All totaled, there were 3 farmers in a 15 mile radius that had log chains run through their combines. There really isn't a word to describe the type of person that would do this to total strangers.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's messed up. I've heard of people throwing pot in the farmers field, but this didn't do any damage to equipment. Jerks for sure!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
john deere would eat that up and shit it hard,not!,claas maybe,carry rock insurance, lots,looks like its someone whos,[ meth were on it] sodakkers for sure,see[hot gov]arm.jpg what you started

Reading (trying) this post makes me feel like maybe (it) wasn't written in (English) (American), and was translated by a robot(.).

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably one neighbor outbid or took land away from another and made enemies. Another possibility is maybe someone was screwing someone elses wife and also made an enemy.

That's what I'm thinking as well. There's something personal in this story that we don't know.

If not, this is right up there with whoever was welding together tire traps a number of years ago and placing them on section lines.

- - - Updated - - -

That's messed up. I've heard of people throwing pot in the farmers field, but this didn't do any damage to equipment. Jerks for sure!

Pot, as in Mary Jane, happy hemp, gange, weed, and marijuana?

What would be the intent behind this? Get the farmer in trouble with Johnny Law?

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pot, as in Mary Jane, happy hemp, gange, weed, and marijuana?

What would be the intent behind this? Get the farmer in trouble with Johnny Law?

Yup! Not to incriminate the farmer, but to share in the good soil, fertilizer and water...parasite-like stuff ya know?!

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Protesting GMO’s is what I heard

This makes the most sense to me. I don't know landowners who wouldn't just beat the shit out each other over normal conflicts. Maybe even shoot each other, but not booby traps to destroy combines! That's just wrong in so many ways. But seems right up a liberal protesters alley.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm not sure most of the GMO protestors even have a clue that a log chain would do damage. I'm more in line that they heard sometime in their life the GMO plants were dangerous. All the while they were eating seedless grapes or cucumbers. They most likely also have a real taste for seedless watermelon.
Virtually everything we eat is different than 100 years ago. Big difference to day is it can be done much quicker in the lab than in a field through crossbreeding or pollination.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77