Tesla Cybertruck

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not my cup of tea, but, I think it's great to see the envelope pushed. Think about trying to build and sell cars before there were roads, pipelines, or a system of gas stations. Think about it, 125yrs ago it was, "I'm not buying that summbitch, there's not enough places to buy gas!". Now the argument is, "Well, where are you going to plug it in?".

I can assure you that I know less than jack-shit nothing about installing and maintaining the electrical infrastructure it'd take to make that truck viable. I can also assure you that we're exponentially more capable of getting it done very quickly today than we were regarding gasoline distribution in the early days of the combustion engine.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The specs are incredible if accurate(as long as price stays the way it is stated). Hard to get over the look right now, but I'm sure that's part of the shock factor. I'd look closer if I lived in a more metro area with a warmish climate.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's not my cup of tea, but, I think it's great to see the envelope pushed. Think about trying to build and sell cars before there were roads, pipelines, or a system of gas stations. Think about it, 125yrs ago it was, "I'm not buying that summbitch, there's not enough places to buy gas!". Now the argument is, "Well, where are you going to plug it in?".

I can assure you that I know less than jack-shit nothing about installing and maintaining the electrical infrastructure it'd take to make that truck viable. I can also assure you that we're exponentially more capable of getting it done very quickly today than we were regarding gasoline distribution in the early days of the combustion engine.

In your garage.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In your garage.

I don’t think they just plug into a 110 outlet, not do I have a garage everywhere I drive. I drive more than 500Mi in a day 2-3 days-Mo.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what intervals batteries have to be replaced and at what cost? I bet battery replacement may be a bit more than 10-20 oil changes.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
There have to be some smart person that can figure out how to charge the battery going down the road and never have to plug it in to charge it.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty impressive in the ad. Of the few people I have known who tried electric cars in ND their experience wasn't very good. Main problem is the relatively short distance they can drive in a rural state. That and the battery life was even shorter in the winter. I suppose batteries will improve in the future but as of now that is a problem in this state.

Not long ago they advertised you could drive 100 miles between charges. I'm sure it's better now but it's still a concern. This fall I would have been able to drive home from one of our local HS football games. Even a 300 mile range isn't all that much when you live in the rural area of ND.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
There have to be some smart person that can figure out how to charge the battery going down the road and never have to plug it in to charge it.

Yeah, you do it like every train locomotive. Power the electric motor with a Diesel engine.

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t think they just plug into a 110 outlet, not do I have a garage everywhere I drive. I drive more than 500Mi in a day 2-3 days-Mo.

I looked into this one time and a lot of them can charge off a std 120v outlet but it's VERY slow. I think most home chargers need 240v single phase in order to at least charge overnight.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
From what I was told by a current Tesla owner is the on board charger will take any voltage. From 120-480 volts. The 120 took about 2 days to charge and 480 about 20 min. Most have a 50 amp 240 and charge overnight. I havent seen one yet but they also make an induction charger. You drive over a "pad" and it charges wirelessly.

You can also set it up to use to power your house in case of power loss. Similar to a generator

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I was told by a current Tesla owner is the on board charger will take any voltage. From 120-480 volts. The 120 took about 2 days to charge and 480 about 20 min. Most have a 50 amp 240 and charge overnight. I havent seen one yet but they also make an induction charger. You drive over a "pad" and it charges wirelessly.

You can also set it up to use to power your house in case of power loss. Similar to a generator

This sounds great!! A 2 1/2 hr drive from bismarck to fargo turns into 2 days. Where do I sign up

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't worry about, they will perfect it, just not in our life time. Big oil will see to that.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
They put a a charging station here in Payson last year for the Tesla's. I think there is 12 spots for them to plug into. Didn't think there was that many of them but they must be pretty popular down here as see them plugged in there quite a bit. Heard something about the pickup having bullet proof glass but then heard where they did the demo for it, it didn't turn out to be bullet proof. Maybe more info on the Interweb.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That alien Elon will have this perfected in short order. When he launched those rockets and then had them land themselves was the most absurd thing I’ve ever seen. It looked fake. NASA spent like 60 years just hoping to hit the ocean somewhere haha. I think he’s a weirdo but he’s on another brain level

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't worry about, they will perfect it, just not in our life time. Big oil will see to that.

I disagree. There are times and places where internal combustion just doesn't work. Those industries will drive battery technology and the auto industry will inherit it. Under water, above the atmosphere, and cordless tools will drive battery technology.

There are watches that don't require winding due to kinetic energy able to be stored. Think about all the wasted energy soaked up by any vehicles suspension. If they could turn that suspension dampening motion into some sort of charging, like they already do with engine braking in hybrids they'll extend driving range.

I'm not that smart and even I could devise some sort of fluid driven charging system utilizing a reservoir-type shock absorber and something on the order of small alternators driven by the fluid-displacement dampening motion. One spins when the shock extends, the other when it compresses. Ultra-low profile extremely stiff sidewall tires that transfer more of the dampening duties to the shocks and increase their travel. You could add a similar dampening/generating system to the receiver hitch and harness some of the energy wasted by the push/pull of a trailer. Another "free" energy source would be some manner of turning the heat created by the electric motors and batteries in use back into some sort of charging. A sealed fluid coolant passive-flow system driving a small alternator/generator.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know how long this new truck would take to charge ? How bout the ones currently being sold, and in use? What would you do if you ran out of charge out in the boon docks?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 101
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63