Tesla Cybertruck

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well one thing they would be handy for pulling into you deer stand site in the morning without the deer hearing you coming.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not quite sure who is going to buy this truck. These electrics definitely have their place, but that tends to be people who live a mostly big city life where they aren't driving really long distances and have plenty of access to supercharging stations. Most of those people tend to also like smaller cars for city life, where as this truck is bigger than current 1/2 tons. Also, if you go on the website to order one, the top model that actually has a 500 mile range is $69K + $7k for self driving tech. The 39K model is RWD and only has 250 mile range.

To pre-order is just a refundable $100 deposit, so don't get caught up in the amount of those. The vast majority of those are "look at me types" who are doing it just to post on social media and get attention. They will never actually buy the thing.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if they ever did "BACK TO THE FUTRE 5" they could use this baby,up tick from the delorein car (all stainless)ghetto mobil)
"

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
same thing was said a bit more than Just 100 years ago about the internal combustion engine. Technology is crazy. I think it’s pretty cool but obviously not viable for A LOT of people yet. Or.... maybe it’s a dead end. I dunno.

also, all concept vehicles are retardedly futuristic looking. No way that is the final design. If it is lol

I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of my post wags. I want one. Anything I can do to get off the petroleum nipple is a definite step in the right direction with me. However, I can't justify dropping the cash on something that doesn't work where I need it to work. It doesn't even need to do everything my current truck does, just get close. Right now it isn't even close and it kinda frustrates me that given the level of technology we have now, why aren't we close or even there?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed KDM lets see if they mount a plow or pull a 5th wheel,ain't happening is my bet just a conversation piece at the bar.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good points R.E.gm VOLT has a range of 286 miles plus onboard charging ,LED batteries 10yr warrenty plus its the engine is liquid cooled and car runs on on regular fuel when needed (9gal fuel tank),I checked out other e cars that are not liguid cooled from nissan,bmw,mecedes and a couple more ? nissan was the worst with a 1mile range on one charge,they all have losing a charge issue in cold weather except the volt and Bolt as they have a raidiator,in my area north of of the twin cities I've noticed plenty of free charging station around town,they need 240 amp service,last I checked folks purchasing these e cars get a healthy tax deduction couple yrs ago it was $7500,down side is one needs to convert home to 240amp service

Where is this free electricity you speak of? I'd like to get a few outlets in my house. Pretty understandable that someone who would use an electric car as a primary source of transport would also expect to have it charged for free as well as free roadside service if it shits out.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Someone better let these manufacturers know that electric vehicles wont hall or go long distances.

As of November 2017, companies already developing their own electric trucks include BYD Company, Cummins, Daimler AG, Einride, Kalmar, Kenworth, Nikola Motor, Proterra, Inc., Xos Trucks, VDL, Daf trucks, Toyota, Uber and Volkswagen.

All these are looking at electric semi trucks. Laughable.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
same thing was said a bit more than Just 100 years ago about the internal combustion engine. Technology is crazy. I think it’s pretty cool but obviously not viable for A LOT of people yet. Or.... maybe it’s a dead end. I dunno.

also, all concept vehicles are retardedly futuristic looking. No way that is the final design. If it is lol

One crazy thing to think about is well over 100 years ago there was 3 competing "car" concepts, electric, gas and I forget the 3rd. Electric was the most poplar and cheapest by far, it was not until if I remember right the invention of oil pipelines that drove the price of gas down, this surged the market with cheap gas. People liked the reliably and lack of maintenance on electric but their problem was the same we have today, range, simply put when gas became cheap people picked gas over electric cause they could drive farther. Just think where we would be had gas never became cheap? Maybe further maybe not. Just food for thought

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not quite sure who is going to buy this truck. These electrics definitely have their place, but that tends to be people who live a mostly big city life where they aren't driving really long distances and have plenty of access to supercharging stations. Most of those people tend to also like smaller cars for city life, where as this truck is bigger than current 1/2 tons. Also, if you go on the website to order one, the top model that actually has a 500 mile range is $69K + $7k for self driving tech. The 39K model is RWD and only has 250 mile range.

To pre-order is just a refundable $100 deposit, so don't get caught up in the amount of those. The vast majority of those are "look at me types" who are doing it just to post on social media and get attention. They will never actually buy the thing.
The same kind of people who stand in line for hours to spend over a grand on the latest IPhone even though it does less the the competitors phones that only cost half as much. Tesla like Apple it's all about status symbols and showing off to your friends.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone better let these manufacturers know that electric vehicles wont hall or go long distances.

As of November 2017, companies already developing their own electric trucks include BYD Company, Cummins, Daimler AG, Einride, Kalmar, Kenworth, Nikola Motor, Proterra, Inc., Xos Trucks, VDL, Daf trucks, Toyota, Uber and Volkswagen.

All these are looking at electric semi trucks. Laughable.

And yet, forklifts weren't electric until the past couple of decades. I don't mean just indoor ones either.

Don't count these electric vehicles out. Yep, this one is butt-ugly. But it's steps in the direction that we all want.

When electric is cheaper, and more convenient, and more reliable, you'll see a LOT of these on the road. Not yet, but just wait.

Again, think about the drill on your workbench. corded or rechargeable. Sure, there are still corded drills out there, and there is still need for corded tools. But I bet most of us have at least one cordless drill in the garage. Not long ago, cordless tools were turds. They aren't any longer.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may or may not be a winner. Time will tell...food for thought though...some of man kinds greatest inventions/ideas/creations have taken place within the last 100yrs... actually a good number within the last 50. I wouldn't bet against something like this succeeding.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
But will it pull my 34' fifth wheel camper with 3 slides with the 17.7 Warrior behind that ??? And how far??

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
BBX9hY7.img

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The questions is not about will it be able to pull XX,XXXlbs. This is actually where Electric motors will destroy a gas or diesel. With Electric, torque is instantaneous and can be 100% at 0 rpm unlike a combustion engine that has to build torque through rpm. Obviously the Tesla truck is not designed with a heavy suspension/frame that is made for heavy hauling, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be. That's actually the easy part. The problem with electric in any form, is and always will be related to range and time to recharge. Until those hurdle are overcome, it won't overcome the internal combustion engine. They are making progress though.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've seen charging stations near my town at local grocery store/hardware stores with cars lined up for a charge,did'nt see a sign with a fee just noticed more charging stations are available,just pointing this out not looking for a debate

- - - Updated - - -

True SLE,WHEN i think of a little truck honda comes to mind whatever its called "grocery getter?

- - - Updated - - -

like I SAID EARLIER LAST TIME i checked to have your home 100amp service upgraded
to 240 bill was about $1500 but that was a couple years ago....no freebies in our world today

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had a thought: would off-peak electric customers potentially be able to "fill up for less" than folks on the grid paying full-rate electric?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76