• Every 3 years

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • What are bearings?

Votes: 33 45.2%

• Total voters

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use bearing buddies on my wheels and I give each one enough of a squirt to see the pressure plate just barely move every morning before heading to the ramp.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
depending on amount of use and if they have bearing buddies etc

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
it is a Ranger Trailer and is somewhat different. And I only back in the lake about 5 times a year and it rarely goes over the road so 5 years and I haven't done anything. I do need to find out more about their system.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
5 or 6 years ago, I myself did a complete bearing, race and seal change. I have bearing buddies and add grease when needed. In the spring I jack up the trailer and roll the tire and listen to see if the bearing has a growl/ rough sound to it. Also give the tire a jiggle to see if they are still tight.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How about the oil bath? What does a guy do for maintain on those? I always check for how full or if they are off color. Then I don't pull more than a thousand miles per year.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do ours depending on usage. But every spring we jack up each wheel and spin it to listen if rough and then try a wiggle to see how much play is in it.
Probably overkill but that is how i was raised. Try to prevent bad things from happening. Doesn't always work though.
I also know people who never checked or greased their bearings and run bald ass tires and nothing bad every happens. If that was me the whole thing would explode.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have oil bath hubs on a 2011 trailer. Like others, I jack each wheel up in the spring and see how she rolls. I also check after a day of fishing with it parked in the garage to see if there is any leakage onto the floor. So far, so good! Getting nervous though. Don't know of any place that I dare have mess with them but going to have to bite the bullet one of these days. Maybe try it myself but have to make sure I've got all the right parts on hand.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I use bearing buddies on my wheels and I give each one enough of a squirt to see the pressure plate just barely move every morning before heading to the ramp.

If you really do this you either don't go fishing very often or if you look on the back side of your wheels, they will be covered in grease because your seals are shot.

Bearing buddies have likely caused more bearing failure than they've ever saved.

Captainbrad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have everything repacked every two years and I replace the bearings every four years on my guide boat. I get 2500-5000 miles on the trailer each year and when you figure loading and unloading my trailer is in the Red 250 times per year.

This last time the guy working on it asked me how I even got the trailer to him to work on. That time we went with all new hubs.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
after 2 years, look at the new boat offerings... if you see something you like, tell your bride that it's time to repack the bearings - or - just trade for a new boat, for about the same price...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75