Venison sausage smoking without casing

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious if anyone knows of a method that you can utilize to smoke your venison sausage that doesn’t involve casing the meat. Would be a pretty standard venison/pork mix with spices and such. Not really interested in liquid smoke, would love a real deal wood fired smoke but don’t care for the casing if possible. Interested to hear some ideas if anyone’s got them.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think you would lose a good share of the fat, water, and dry it out horribly, that is IF you found a way to roll it out and keep it together.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never tried this so not sure if it would work but seems like it might in my head;) Spray smoker racks with Pam, then push through stuffer but have someone slide the racks out making a stick, guessing you would need to get timing down but might work. Just the opposite process of shooting jerky sticks out of a jerky gun.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You would think it would be similar to jerky sticks except with sticks you're actually trying to dry the meat. Don't think dry sausage would be all that appealing. Never know until you try it. As with all new ideas with sausage, recommend a small trial batch.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think if you shaped the sausage into large logs or rectangular type shapes (idea being large surface area for smoke to adhere to and not too thick) and cold smoked for an hour or so and then stuffed into the ground meat bags using a stuffer it would turn out good. Actually have wanted to try this as well and will be trying a small batch this year to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put into burger bags and make into patties then cold smoke for a hour before cooking them. I bought one the them amazing smoker tubes for my grill and it works awsome for stuff like this.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with BBQ, form into loafs of the desired weight you want per package and put on racks and cold smoke. Then package into vacuum bags. The hard part will be how long to smoke them to get the desired flavor. Should about be the same as making buck bacon.

Pedro

Established Member
X3 on the smoke tube. I’ve smoked a lot of cheese last couple weeks in my gmg and worked great. Should be just as well with the sausage. Got mine off amazon for 12$ish bucks

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've done it, but you will have to cook the meat after the smoking process. To get a complete smoking, the meat has to reach 160-165 degrees and to get there you essentially bake the meat to fast without a casing which leaves little time for it to acquire the smoke flavor. What I did was to lay the meat (25 lbs) out across the grate about 2 inches thick. Got a good smoke rolling, but kept the temps to around 130 on meat level for about an hour and a half so the meat was only warm, but not cooked. Then took the meat out and stuffed it in 1 lb burger bags. We had to fry it or grill it when we wanted some to completely cook the meat, but it tasted great. Good Luck!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious if anyone knows of a method that you can utilize to smoke your venison sausage that doesn’t involve casing the meat. Would be a pretty standard venison/pork mix with spices and such. Not really interested in liquid smoke, would love a real deal wood fired smoke but don’t care for the casing if possible. Interested to hear some ideas if anyone’s got them.

Seems to me that you could solve all of your smoking/partial cooking vs. cold smoking and remixing to get the smoked meat redistributed throughout the batch, if you just went with liquid smoke. Don't have much experience with liquid smoke but you could try a small trial batch and see if it met your expectations. I think everyone would be interested in your results/findings.

My 2 cents.

The other thing you could do is put the meat in casing to smoke and then when ready to eat split the casings, mix the meat into patties and cook/warm on the grill or in a pan. Cooking would already be done, it would just be a warm and serve process.

Would this be 4 cents total?

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cold smoke and fry in bacon juice, still might get a little dry. I use the country mix from MossMo, make into 1/4 pound patties and freeze on cookie sheets then vacume pack. But I do use the Liquid Smoke as a cheater.

stalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM's reply clicked for me. It should work out very similar to the way we do the ground and formed bacon. I would just follow the instructions for cooking that. It works great for making bacon. I don't know why it wouldn't work for sausage. We cut the the cake pan sized loafs into about 1 lb (2 x 9) chunks, wrap in paper and freeze. Then slice them up as we use them. I would think you may be able to do the same thing with different recipes. I'm not sure how it would hold together. Are there binders added to the bacon mix to help it hold together?

I might just try this with a batch of country sausage. The pig intestines aren't my favorite thing to eat either.

http://www.owensbbq.com/uploads/3/4/4/7/34472207/ground_formed_bacon.docx

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use a non edible fibrous casing (like used in some summer sausage / salami) and smoke the sausage just as you normally would. Then remove casing before eating or even cooking.

Pan simmer the sausage, half covered in water. Keep the water to a light simmer so you don't get to a temp that will render all the fat out. Eat as is or then crisp up outside if you want some color and added texture.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bacon method works well. The long slices work good for sandwiches and such. I mainly use the bigger casings 2 3/4 I believe. Throw them in a ice bath as soon as there done and the casing just peels off.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77