Well go figure~

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Burleigh county has on their agenda for todays meeting

• Request of Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota for written consent for refugee resettlement,

KFYR had a poll with a 88% no vote with over 1,400 votes, now lets see how our commissioners vote

https://www.facebook.com/KFYR550/?r...G7NOTIGV4SFpGcY8vDA-hx7q4IclekxU5fv8zi75d94iw
KFYR Radio created a poll.

Yesterday at 7:56 AM ·

Would you favor LSS refugee resettlement in Burleigh County? The Commission will be considering a request at its next meeting Monday night.

12%Yes

88%No

This poll ends in 5 days

Undo Vote

1.4K Votes

BURLEIGH COUNTY COMMISSIONLINCOLN, FT RICE, BURNT CREEK, RIVERVIEW, CANFIELD,PHOENIX, & LYMAN UNORGANIZED TOWNSHIPSMEETING AGENDADecember 2, 2019TOM BAKER MEETING ROOMCITY\COUNTY BUILDING221 N 5TH ST5:00 P.M. Invocation by Crisis Care Chaplain1) Call to order.

2) Consideration and approval of the November 18, 2019, meeting minutes andvouchers (bills), journal vouchers, and filing fee reports.PUBLIC HEARING – regarding the proposed Missouri Slope Lutheran Care CenterNorth Campus Municipal Industrial Development Association (MIDA) Bond issuanceand upon conclusion of public hearing, consideration of Resolution Approving theIssuance of MIDA Bonds.

3) Emergency Manager Senger:a) Memorandum of Understanding with University of Mary allowing grant application through FEMA’s FY17 and FY18 Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PMD) Grant Program,b) Memorandum of Understanding with Cass County for mutual aid between counties,c) Memorandum of Agreement between the Burleigh County and Bismarck Rural Fire Department regarding Burleigh County Water Rescue/Recovery Team,d) Joint Powers Agreement with Emmons County for the provision of Emergency Management Services.

4) County Engineer Hall:a) Consider detailed plans and specifications for Special Assessment Districts #70 (Sabot’s, #71 (Riverside), and #72 (Grande Prairie 4th),b) Authorize advertisement of bids for Special Assessment Districts #70 (Sabot’s), #71 (Riverside), and #72 (Grande Prairie 4th),c) Consideration of change order with Central Specialties, Inc. for the completion of the McKenzie Haul Road Project.

5) HR Director Terras:a) Finance Director position interview panel and schedule,b) Discussion regarding compensation for the Auditor/Treasurer interim duties.2

6) Other Business:a) Board Appointments:• Bismarck Planning Commission – one (1) five (5) year term,• Burleigh County Planning Commission – two (2) 4yr terms,• Burleigh County Housing Authority - one (1) five (5) year term,• Water Resource District – two (2) three (3) year terms,• Noxious Weed Control Board – two (2) four (4) year terms.

7) Consent Agenda:
• Abatements
• Request of Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota for written consent forrefugee resettlement,
• Raffle\Bingo permit(s), Lost Instrument Surety Bond to replace check #,• 2nd approach permit(s):• Liquor License application(s):8) Adjourn.Sincerely,Kevin J. GlattBurleigh County Auditor/Treasurer

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid question, but does LSS actually need permission to bring refugees to Burleigh county?

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
LSS is why I will not put 1 foot in the door of our church, no more of this bull shit, i give to our Cemetery where my parents are buried

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's a little light reading for those of you on the fence about Somali refugees.

They're no ordinary people. Their culture/experiences make them an inherently "high maintenance" people. They're basically pissed off, they've been treated like garbage by their home country, and they're culturally the type of people who settle things by making someone pay.

Bismarck better have monstrous resources at the ready - or things are going to go poorly. And guess who pays the price for that? Yep - taxpayers and the average guy - not the commissioners - not LSS employees/executives.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/252135.pdf

Above is a link to the justice department's findings on what goes wrong and why. What I can tell you is that LSS is NOT prepared to properly support these people. The refugees, and your community, are going to pay a price for LSS not being capable of properly supporting these poor people.

a snippet of what Bismarck can look forward to.

Unaddressed Mental Health Needs
Somali-Americans reported that many community members suffered trauma and otheradversities as a consequence of their refugee experiences, leading to unresolved mental healthissues. Community members talked about the impact of the civil war, “people facing difficultiesand hardship during the civil war. They lost family members; they became destitute when itcomes to economics. They’ve been in refugee camps. They have lost their personalities, theylost their culture, like when you become a refugee and you become hopeless, you are no longerthe person that you used to be. It’s a bad thing and that’s what’s taking place out there.”

35This resource was prepared by the author(s) using Federal funds provided by the U.S.Department of Justice. Opinions or points of view expressed are those of the author(s) and do notnecessarily reflect the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Yet, mental health concerns in many ethnic communities, including the Somali-American, areassociated with stigma, and tend to be suppressed or ignored. Persons who exhibited symptomscould be negatively labelled and rejected. The stigma associated with mental health problemsled to reluctance to seek mental health services. Somali-Americans reported that mostcommunity members would be unwilling to seek mental health services, thereby revealing theirmental health issues. A community member reported that “there’s a lot of stuff that mycommunity, they don’t like to bring out the issues on the table. They keep it inside.”Somali-Americans also reported that within their community, mental health issues weresometimes associated with the potential for criminal activity and radicalization. Communitymembers stated that youth with mental health issues may be more vulnerable to recruitment,“they can have depression, anxiety, addictions, if mom rejected them and then the gang acceptsthem.” Because youth with such problems were linked with the potential for social failure, thecommunity tended to exclude them.Further, many interviewees noticed that Somali-Americans did not believe mental healthproblems existed, nor did they subscribe to the possibility that mental health treatment couldhelp. In the words of one interviewee, “it is just something that Americans made up or believein.” Community members reported that even if mental health services were widely accepted,because of the general lack of knowledge around them, people “wouldn’t know how to look forresources… and stuff like that.” A community member reported that some Somali-Americans“do not do really well with emotional stuff so like if he heard about like, ‘Oh I am feelingdepressed’ or he would be like, ‘You do have a house, you have food like you are fine, what areyou talking about?’” As long as life was better in the U.S. than in Somalia, community membersseemed to remain willfully ignorant to those at risk and write persons off as being weak.The interviews also demonstrated some Somali-Americans’ misunderstandings of women’sabuse and its harmful mental health impact on women and children. A community advocateexplained, “The definition of abuse is different in Somalia versus the U.S. Physical abuse is thesame, if someone gets hit, but in Somalia there is no term for mental, emotional, verbal, financialabuse. They don’t understand that those are all forms of controlling someone. So emotionalabuse is not seen as an issue, only physical abuse.” Lacking a full understanding of violenceagainst women, its mental health consequences, and the fact that such abuse was criminalized inthe U.S., the community did not work towards preventing these issues. Police officers relayedhow in responding to complaints of wife battering in Somali-American households, the abusivemen tried to prevent them from talking to the women, demanding instead that the officer talk tothe man of the house.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
it appears burgum wants to do the same thing to nd from what I have heard. I really think the citizens of the state need to vote on issues like this

As a conservative, I am disappointed with Burgum. I agree, the citizens should vote on this issue. When it comes to My tax dollars, the last person I trust is a elected official.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know how the meeting went? Did they actually vote? And how did they vote? We DO NOT need this situation in Bismarck. Lets take care of our own recidivism problem in Burleigh county instead of farming out cheap labor at a massive cost to taxpayers. Bergum wont get my vote again if this is the crap he wants.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know how the meeting went? Did they actually vote? And how did they vote? We DO NOT need this situation in Bismarck. Lets take care of our own recidivism problem in Burleigh county instead of farming out cheap labor at a massive cost to taxpayers. Bergum wont get my vote again if this is the crap he wants.

sounds like it was postponed they said the room was to small for the crowd to fit in therefore it no longer was a public meeting. I think they are buying time to get their ducks in a row

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you boys in the East need to clean house. I thought their was a poll from the east that had it 70% plus against

FARGO — The Cass County Commission on Monday, Dec. 2, voted unanimously to let Lutheran Social Services of North Dakota continue its refugee resettlement program in the county, which essentially involves the cities of Fargo and West Fargo

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So.... how does one "strike back" at LSS? asking for a friend of a friend that does not know the Clintons or Espstein.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
As a conservative, I am disappointed with Burgum. I agree, the citizens should vote on this issue. When it comes to My tax dollars, the last person I trust is a elected official.

Burgum wants keep providing cheap labor to businesses within the state of North Dakota. The Somali refugees, much like those from Mexico and Central America are willing to work for less than most Americans. As with many things in life, it usually comes down to money.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
They can afford to work for less, because it is all disposable income. Food stamps, rental assistance, heating assistance, free school lunches, and a trip to the Salvation Army every now and then for a gas voucher, etc. Plus, a sizeable earned income credit tax refund in February.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Burgum wants keep providing cheap labor to businesses within the state of North Dakota. The Somali refugees, much like those from Mexico and Central America are willing to work for less than most Americans. As with many things in life, it usually comes down to money.

I know this is commonly trotted out as a reason, does anyone have real world experience with this?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I know this is commonly trotted out as a reason, does anyone have real world experience with this?

I got the info straight from the horse's mouth.

Burgum was on KFYR 550 AM with Scott H. and said that we need the refugees here to provide labor for our growing workforce needs.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

why not use the h2b visa program. It’s hard to get qualified workers. We do that and have got a bunch of great guys. They work the season then go home. Pay taxes pay for their room and board and work hard as hell.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got the info straight from the horse's mouth.

Burgum was on KFYR 550 AM with Scott H. and said that we need the refugees here to provide labor for our growing workforce needs.

I don't doubt anything a politician says, or believe it either.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
This may help the low employment situation in states as well!
The Trump administration is tightening work requirements for food stamps eligibility for able-bodied adults without children, a move that could push almost 700,000 people from the program while saving $5.5 billion over five years.

The reason for the new rule is to encourage adults between the ages of 18 to 49 to return to work, Department of Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue said Wednesday in a conference call with reporters. The food stamp program was meant to provide "assistance through difficult times, not a way of life," he said.
The new rule won't affect children or their parents, disabled Americans or those over age 50, USDA Deputy Under Secretary Brandon Lipps said in the call. It would impact about 2% of the 34.3 million people currently receiving food stamps by changing the way states can grant waivers for work requirements, making it tougher for individuals to qualify for the program.

Last edited:

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
bismarck meeting never went down.. too many people had to move it to another floor and the livestream didnt work so it broke open meetins laws so metting was postponed.
it was a very sneaky attempt as it wasnt even under the "discussion" adgenda but the "consent" adgenda meaning there wasnt gonna be any talks just consent. go to Rick Beckers facebook page and he has a very good listen on how sneaky that shit got and all the questions that need answers.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW the numbers reported are only primary refugees meaning Husband wife for instance it does not count "secondary" refugees meanign all other relatives that resettle so when LSS posts 25 they mean 25 primary they really have no fucking clue how many secondary came with...... go listen to beckers posts youll be pissed

- - - Updated - - -

only person that spoke was the lady from LSS no one else got to speak at the bismarck meeting thus far.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75