Sioux/Gophers tonight at 7pm.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
So 2 vs 0. Hak basically put Berry in the position to win a national title the year Berry took over. Better Question. Why is dipshit coaching high school hockey now and Hak is still in the NHL??

By the way Friday nights game against Miami Ohio is on CBS sports network. Game time is 5:30 Ch. 635 Midco

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to admit that I've grown somewhat weary of hearing the legend of Sioux greatness.

One championship every decade on average seems like standard fare. Is that extraordinary in college sports? I honestly don't know.

Keep in mind that sports generally bore me to tears. But I digress.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to admit that I've grown somewhat weary of hearing the legend of Sioux greatness.

One championship every decade on average seems like standard fare. Is that extraordinary in college sports? I honestly don't know.

Keep in mind that sports generally bore me to tears. But I digress.

I think it points more to the parity that is college hockey, in general. You can have a standout team and not get a national championship, and you can have a mediocre team that somehow finds all the right pieces when it matters most, and hangs a banner on their wall.

It's not like NDSU's yawn-fest, where fans underplay how good the home-town team is, only to have them march to yet another championship.

I guess between the two, I'd rather have a bit more uncertainty and competitiveness that seems to be hockey. Nothing is guaranteed. And the rubber really meets the road in the playoffs. Everyone's game play is elevated.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least UND is winning class A titles unlike the Bison. Good for them but I get pretty sick of Hail the Bison when they win another class B title. When the Bison win there’re a lot of college football teams they couldn’t get close to competing with. When UND wins there is no college team in the country better.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
At least UND is winning class A titles unlike the Bison. Good for them but I get pretty sick of Hail the Bison when they win another class B title. When the Bison win there’re a lot of college football teams they couldn’t get close to competing with. When UND wins there is no college team in the country better.

What he said. ^^^^^

ps: LSU won a B (Bowl) Championship, NDSU won a C Championship. At least I think that is the way I think they distinguish the different divisions ... FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) LSU and FCS (Football Championship Subdivision) NDSU. Could be wrong tho.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND "wins" 5-4 in second round of shoot-out. To go into books as a win the team must win in regulation or in the 5 minute 5 on 5 OT. After the 5 on 5 OT NCHC teams (only) play a 5 minute 3 on 3 OT and if still tied it then goes to a sudden death shootout. If a team wins in regulation or in the 5 on 5 OT the game goes into the books as a win and the winning team scores 3 NCHC points. The teams that "wins" in 3 on 3 OT or in the shootout gets 2 points and the loser gets 1 point. This is an NCHC rule only and only applies to NCHC conference games or in non-conference played at an NCHC arena.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND "wins" 5-4 in second round of shoot-out. To go into books as a win the team must win in regulation or in the 5 minute 5 on 5 OT. After the 5 on 5 OT NCHC teams (only) play a 5 minute 3 on 3 OT and if still tied it then goes to a sudden death shootout. If a team wins in regulation or in the 5 on 5 OT the game goes into the books as a win and the winning team scores 3 NCHC points. The teams that "wins" in 3 on 3 OT or in the shootout gets 2 points and the loser gets 1 point. This is an NCHC rule only and only applies to NCHC conference games or in non-conference played at an NCHC arena.
Watched it out of pure boredom , if that (und) is the #1 team in the nation then college hockey is really in the dumps but I guess when there’s only about 30 scholarship programs to compete with what they hay !

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watched it out of pure boredom , if that (und) is the #1 team in the nation then college hockey is really in the dumps but I guess when there’s only about 30 scholarship programs to compete with what they hay !

Not true: http://collegehockeyinc.com/articles/2015/09/10-need-know-facts-about-ncaa-hockey-scholarships.php

It’s the dream of so many young hockey players and their parents.
And it’s often misunderstood.
A hockey scholarship to a Division I program is a treasured prize, a ticket to student-athletes reaching their full athletic and academic potential. With so many shooting for that goal, it’s worth reviewing these 10 facts about scholarships:
Why College Hockey? | NCAA Eligibility | Recruiting FAQ
1. Most Division I men’s hockey programs offer 18 athletic scholarships. Teams in Atlantic Hockey are limited to 14, while some schools – those in the Ivy League, RIT and Union – do not offer athletic scholarships. All of those schools offer competitive financial aid packages, whether or not they are tied to a student-athlete’s athletic ability.
2. Those scholarships can be divided up among members of the team at the coaching staff’s discretion. Some teams might award 18 full scholarships and carry eight or nine players who do not receive athletic aid. Most will divide their scholarships so that more than 18 players are on athletic scholarship; on some teams, every player will receive at least a portion of a hockey scholarship.
3. Athletic scholarships may be supplemented by other forms of financial aid. Many schools have need-based or academic-based financial aid programs in place, another reason why academic success in high school can benefit a prospective student-athlete. A top hockey player with excellent grades may qualify for academic aid – saving his family money, and saving his NCAA team scholarship dollars that they can then allocate to another player.
4. Need-based financial aid is determined by an institution’s financial aid office and varies by school. It is typically calculated based upon the student and his family’s ability to contribute to the cost of his education. Many schools have grants or loans available to cover additional costs.
5. Coaches determine which players on their teams receive athletic scholarships, but need-based or academic-based scholarships are determined by an institution’s financial aid office, not the coaching staff.
6. Many scholarships will cover summer classes and even allow students who turn pro prior to graduation to return to school to complete their degree. NHL players like David Backes, Nick Bjugstad and Anders Lee have all finished their degrees in the past two years while playing in the NHL.
7. Athletic scholarship offers prior to enrollment are formalized by signing a National Letter of Intent. The scholarship offers can be for anywhere from one to five years, and cannot be signed prior to a prospective student-athlete’s 12th grade year. Any commitments prior to that time are verbal commitments; those are not legally binding for either the athlete or the institution.
8. Scholarships can be offered for up to five years. Partial scholarships can be increased at any time by the coaching staff. Ross Mauermann, the top career scorer on 2015 NCAA champion Providence, began his career as a walk-on but quickly earned a scholarship. Athletic scholarships cannot be reduced or cancelled year-to-year based on ability or performance, or because of injury. Some reasons why a scholarship could be cancelled include academic ineligibility or disciplinary issues. Any student-athlete whose athletic aid is reduced or cancelled has the right to a hearing with institutional representatives outside of the athletic department.
9. New this year, many schools are offering scholarships that include full cost of attendance. A full athletic scholarship has typically covered tuition and fees, room and board, and books. Full cost of attendance grants are designed to cover additional expenses such as transportation to and from campus and additional meals. The amount of these full cost of attendance grants varies by school, and not all schools will offer them.
10. NCAA Division III schools do not offer athletic scholarships, but do provide need- and academic-based aid, much like the Division I schools that operate without athletic scholarships.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/mens-ice-hockey-probability-competing-beyond-high-school

• In 2018, 32% of players on active NHL rosters played college hockey (all Division I), up from about 20% in the year 2000 (source: collegehockeyinc.com). 69% of former college players in the NHL played at least three college seasons, and 34% played all four. Thanks to Nate Ewell at College Hockey, Inc. for providing these data.

The Ivy League D 1 college hockey schools are:

https://icehockey.fandom.com/wiki/Ivy_League

Brown Bears
Cornell Big Red
Dartmouth Big Green
Harvard Crimson
Princeton Tigers
Yale Bulldogs

So I guess that you contend that Cornell can recruit hockey players good enough to be #1 in the nation without paying them scholarships. Not happenin'.

Last edited:

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
There’s 60 teams in all of college hockey . Fact . That’s not much competition when you have the best arena and facilities it helps too

- - - Updated - - -

Ha this is hilarious. So when und wins they are better than 59 other teams . That’s it . Don’t call it a A title cuz it’s not it’s the Only title . There’s only 60 teams in d1 college hockey and they haven’t been one of the 16 best out of 60 two years straight . And there are not a lot of teams ndsu football wouldn’t compete with right now . Not a lot at all , maybe the top 8-10 . The rest they can compete with .

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

Good doggy undguy! Let the hate flow. You’re comparing football to hockey. Get over it bud.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
When's the last time UND hockey was on broadcast TV and had 2.6 million people watch it? I'll tell you, the next time will be the first time.
Yeah college hockey is big time alright. Even the P5 schools with teams don't take it seriously.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
When's the last time UND hockey was on broadcast TV and had 2.6 million people watch it? I'll tell you, the next time will be the first time.
Yeah college hockey is big time alright. Even the P5 schools with teams don't take it seriously.
Exactly . Which is why und and Duluth and holy cross and little sisters of the poor are winning titles .
fire Bubba and get a coach that recruits fcs players instead of small slow d2 players . Bubba is a nice guy but his recruiting needs work

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
It would seem to me that, given the number of kids in te world playing hockey, the less teams there are the higher the talent level if a player makes a college hockey team. Almost every college at every level has football which would seem to dilute the talent level. If NDSU can beat all but the top 8 or 10 teams why don’t they move up and quit beating up on the little guys? I have no hatred of NDSU (my son goes to school there) and I am proud for the state when they win. I’m just tired of them being treated as king shit when they aren’t close to being the best team in the country.

Last edited:

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
lol, nothing like a cold shitty day to enjoy a game of "sticks to the eye".... carry on, ya'll have the biggest weiners, don't let anyone's mom tell you different.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So winning another national championship is not enough because you sure are acting like a sour puss??? Maybe the Bison should move up a conference so they can keep their insecure fans happy. What are these bandwagon fans going to do when the Bison start losing? The Bison have not always been the top team in the state.

- - - Updated - - -

So P5 teams (real D1 football) have that many viewers every week? Its like bragging that the championship XFL game has more viewers than a Browns vs. Cincinnati game....... I think we could say neither UND or NDSU is “Big Time” except for one or two times a year.

- - - Updated - - -

Good doggy undguy! Let the hate flow. You’re comparing football to hockey. Get over it bud.
I’m pretty sure the butt hurt NDSU fan starting this pissing match. NDSU fans should have NOTHING to be butt hurt about right now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF, just looked at the TV schedule. What's up with only televising one game a weekend?? :mad:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So winning another national championship is not enough because you sure are acting like a sour puss??? Maybe the Bison should move up a conference so they can keep their insecure fans happy. What are these bandwagon fans going to do when the Bison start losing? The Bison have not always been the top team in the state.

- - - Updated - - -

So P5 teams (real D1 football) have that many viewers every week? Its like bragging that the championship XFL game has more viewers than a Browns vs. Cincinnati game....... I think we could say neither UND or NDSU is “Big Time” except for one or two times a year.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m pretty sure the butt hurt NDSU fan starting this pissing match. NDSU fans should have NOTHING to be butt hurt about right now.
NDSU has no where to go, they need a conference invite and if you haven't noticed there are no FBS conferences in the region. They'll be just fine having to beat up on UND every year.

College hockey is right there with womens volleyball as far as big time college sports.....probably right behind them.

Might want to take another look there big shooter. It was an undie fan opening his big mouth and sticking his club foot in it.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Way more people watched UND hockey on TV than the US Olympic football team!

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I’m pretty sure he was the first one to bring NDSU up in this UND thread. Who’s butt hurt again?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74