Sioux/Gophers tonight at 7pm.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
because when it boils down to it hockey in general doesn’t move the needle compared to football. If it made the networks money via advertising they’d for sure be aired on major networks

- - - Updated - - -

Actually that’s not even a fair comparison. Hockey doesn’t move the needle over any of the other crap that network tv puts out. It’s all about money and views.

i don’t mind hockey either. I enjoy watching the Sioux when I can. I enjoy watching bison football too occasionally. Money talks, it’s not rocket science
For one NBC production of the Bison games is crap and the picture quality is not much better. UND games were on statewide broadcast on WDAZ/WDAY years ago. Midco won the last contract and I don’t think anyone can complain about production and they pick up a lot of away games. They also sell the broadcast to fox college sports which is nice for us non midco people. If midco is so bad why does SDSU and USD have contracts with them over broadcast networks? To say UND hockey is not popular in ND you must be living under a rock.

- - - Updated - - -

Well to be fair UND hockey players are pissing in elevators and getting frostbite by losing their shoes in snowbanks so they got that going for them. I'm well over 20 so yes I remember down years but you're going to be waiting awhile to see those days again. Meanwhile enjoy all those big time hockey wins over Rennselaer Polytechnic Institute and Rochester Institute of Technology while you wait.
I was referring to the sidewalk pissing Bison fans that don’t know what a bathroom is. Don’t get me started on the pedophile Bison football players at the mall or the juicing in the locker room.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For one NBC production of the Bison games is crap and the picture quality is not much better. UND games were on statewide broadcast on WDAZ/WDAY years ago. Midco won the last contract and I don’t think anyone can complain about production and they pick up a lot of away games. They also sell the broadcast to fox college sports which is nice for us non midco people. If midco is so bad why does SDSU and USD have contracts with them over broadcast networks? To say UND hockey is not popular in ND you must be living under a rock.

- - - Updated - - -

I was referring to the sidewalk pissing Bison fans that don’t know what a bathroom is. Don’t get me started on the pedophile Bison football players at the mall or the juicing in the locker room.

I’m not arguing with anyone. I’m just saying if there was significant money in airing college hockey it would be on tv. Easily accessible. I don’t think I’ve said anything overly dramatic.

Jeezus sports fans get butt hurt easy

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not arguing with anyone. I’m just saying if there was significant money in airing college hockey it would be on tv. Easily accessible. I don’t think I’ve said anything overly dramatic.

Jeezus sports fans get butt hurt easy

Dumbest thing you'll read on internet today....unless ND G&F admits they botched the state record walleye investigation. :;:muahaha

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
In GF this weekend for the UND/Denver series. UND has been #1 in National poll and PairWise for the last 2 weeks. Both teams had a bye weekend last weekend so should be ready for action. Go SIOUX!!!

UND wins 4-1. Lets win Saturday and make it a sweep.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both teams had a bye and it appeared like it did both teams some good. A lot of energy on the ice. Appeared that Denver may have lost two of their forwards to injuries. We'll have to wait and see. SWEEP, SWEEP, SWEEP. then three weeks left to lock up the conference.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND sweeps DU with a 3-1 win Saturday scoring the insurance goal on an empty netter with 11 seconds to go in the third. Pretty much all UND for 2+ periods, but DU came on strong in the third and did not give up..

GO SIOUX. Three weekends of regular season to go.

St. Cloud
Western Michigan
UN Omaha

UND has clinched home ice in the NCHC Conference tourney!

NCHC standings after Saturday night:

Screen Shot 2020-02-15 at 11.20.08 PM.jpg

All 8 teams have 6 conference games to go worth 3 NCHC points each or 18 points total.

If UM Duluth won all six they would end up with 38 + 18 = 56 total. UND would have to win 4 games to end up with 46 + 12 = 58 or win 3 games and win 1 game with the tie breaker to end up with 46 + 11 = 57.

If UMD didn't win enough and Western MU did sweep they would end up with 32 + 18 = 50. UND would have to win 2 games to equal 46 + 6 = 52 or win 1 game and win 1 game with the tie breaker to end up with 46 + 5 = 51.

If neither of the above scenarios happened and Denver U swept all 6 games they would end up with 28 + 18 = 46 and UND would just have to win or tie one game to end up with 47 (lose on the tie-breaker), 48 (win on the tie-breaker) or 49 points (win outright) and UND would win the Penrose Cup and go into the Conference Tourney as the #1 cede!

Whew, tough to do this at 11:30 after the alkehol I've had today!!!

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweet sweep. WE've taken 11 of 12 points from Denver so far this year and they were ranked #6 nationally. NICE!! A lot of pressure off the team with a sweep this weekend. 8 point lead in the conference. Not a patsy schedule (never is in this conference) left either. Roll on boys.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minnesota is in Top 20 again. At least they're ranked. Not seeing them somewhere in the top of the standings is unsettling, even as a Sioux fan.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bemidji State is 10-1-1 since Jan. 3rd and now rated #13. If they stay this hot they have a good chance of making the big dance.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND up 1-0 over St. Cloud after one period on a short handed goal late in the first period!

St. Cloud tied and then went ahead 2-1 late in the second and UND tied it at 2-2 on PP goal just before the second ended. Period ended with UND on PP again and third period will start with UND still on PP.

Tied after 3, tied after 5 on 5 OT, tied after 3 on 3 OT and lose on a shoot goal in the first round. UND gets 1 NCHC point and SCSU gets 2 points.

Tomorrows game is at 6:07 CST.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Overtime. tied after OT. 1 point apiece and now 3 on 3 for the other point. UMD already lost!!

6pm game tomorrow night on a different network FSN 623 locally in Bis.

3-3 end of OT

shootout

St. Cloud scores in the shootout. 2 points to St. Cloud one for UND. So the Boys can't clinch the Penrose Cup this weekend. See ya tomorrow night.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
St. Cloud 1-0 after one on a PP goal from a 5 minute game DQ on Shane Pinto.

UND answered with a tieing goal in the second ... 1-1 after 2 periods. Lots of penalty time. UND on PP to start the third period.

SCSU wins 2-1 with the winning goal in the third. Everybody is always up to play the #1 team in the nation.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ouch, that one (or two) stung. Western Mich at home and Miami on the road left. Not gonna be a cake walk. We missed Kawaguchi (injury) and Pinto (5 minute game misconduct) tonight. See if we can put a weekend together next week.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sioux (sorry '82 grad) Sweep Western Michigan tonight and win the Penrose cup.

One other coach I like in this conference and that is Andy Murray. He brings the heat, has his team ready and backs down to noone.

3-1 game last night and 2-1 tonight in OT. When we got one early against their backup goalie I thought the roof was gonna fall in on him. Their starter was knocked out with a head injury on Friday night and i believe they called in an emergency goalie to back up the backup. Their defense was awesome against us. Great games and great turnout.

Seven seniors celebrated the Penrose tonight. Not sure if I can ever remember that many seniors and for sure can't recall that most of them this year are from the US. One Canadian from Ontario, Three from Grand Forks/East Grand Forks and 3 men from MN. Congratulations Fighting Sioux and I hope there is a long road to hoe yet!!

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, UND swept Western Michigan this weekend but they were tough wins. Like Ristorapper says Andy Murray brings his team in ready to play all weekend. Last weekend Duluth was up to play the #1 team in the nation. This weekend WM was up to improve their PairWise ranking and get into postseason regional play. It worked for Duluth, but not so much for W Michigan.

There was a big production of awarding UND the Penrose cup after the game (the cup was there and UND seemed to take possession.) But UND only clinched a tie for the cup. They are up 6 NCHC points over Duluth with one weekend left and 6 points up for grabs next weekend. UND has to at least tie one game next weekend against Omaha at Omaha or Duluth has to lose or tie one game next weekend to give UND the outright Penrose title. Head-to-head UND and Duluth played 2 games and each won 1 and lost 1. I guess the presentation was made at the Ralph this weekend because UND ends the season on the road in Omaha.

As to an emergency backup goalie it is my understanding that traveling teams dress 4 lines of forwards x 3 = 12, 3 pairs of D's x 2 = 6 plus one additional skater (forward or D) = 1 and 2 goalies for 21 players. They also carry one forward line, one pair of D's and a third goalie that sit out the Friday game but could be used on Saturday to replace injured players.

The Ralph had a great show for the seniors after the game. Just think what this team would look like if Tyson Jost had stayed for all four years. He would be a senior this year. Instead he scored 2 goals for the Colorado Avalanche on Friday night.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bemidji State is 10-1-1 since Jan. 3rd and now rated #13. If they stay this hot they have a good chance of making the big dance.

I was at the home game Saturday nite vs Mankato. Bemidji split the series. Won fri, lost saturday. Needed the sweep to win the WCHA title but still moved up to #10. I'm guessing they both make the NCAA big dance. Couple of good goalies. Mankato for sure.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bemidji be a scrappy team. If I'm not mistaken, they came in here and recruited a kid from Bismarck not so long ago. But for that i'd never switch my allegience. Go Sioux!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cornell is still #1: https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/icehockey-men/d1/uschocom

But UND is #1, Mankato is #2 and Cornell is #3 in the PairWise: https://www.uscho.com/rankings/pairwise-rankings/d-i-men/

At this time of the season I believe that the PairWise ranking is a more accurate barometer of team placement than the votes of 50 sports writers most of whom are probably in the Eastern Time Zone. If all 60 teams play games on Friday and Saturday the sports writers would have to review 60 game stats before making their selections on Monday. I'm sure that the east coast sports writers favor east coast teams that they see and hear more.

It's like the Frozen Four Championship in 2016 between UND and Quinnipiac. Quinnipiac was rated #1 for much of the season but UND won 5-1 and the game was never in question. The championship game was really with Denver U in the semi's when the game was tied at 2-2 with 1 minute to go and UND scored and then got an empty netter with just a few seconds to go to win 4-2.

Last edited:

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
There was a big production of awarding UND the Penrose cup after the game (the cup was there and UND seemed to take possession.) UND has to at least tie one game next weekend against Omaha at Omaha or Duluth has to lose or tie one game next weekend to give UND the outright Penrose title. Head-to-head UND and Duluth played 2 games and each won 1 and lost 1. I guess the presentation was made at the Ralph this weekend because UND ends the season on the road in Omaha.

This was quite premature if you axe me - my prediction is Omaha will sweep the Sue and UMD will regain possession of the cup:;:howdy!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76