Sioux/Gophers tonight at 7pm.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Considering they currently have 13 drafted players on their roster I'll have to disagree that the NCHC has impacted them. UND currently has 10. I think you will see the gophers numbers start going in the wrong direction. Their team is loaded with talent, Motzko is a great coach they are just a bunch of spoiled little brat cake-eaters. They don't have the blue-collar edge you need to win in hockey.

There was a GREAT article about that. I'm not sure if this is the one, but it hits the mark: http://www.citypages.com/news/how-don-lucia-killed-the-minnesota-gophers-hockey-dynasty/477582963

- - - Updated - - -

This is what I feel is the crux of the issue with MN:

"It wasn’t that Lucia had forgotten how to coach. It’s that he’d forgotten what constitutes a good hockey team. He’d increasingly turned to recruiting younger and younger players, getting commitments from 15- and 16-year-old child prodigies who shined in box scores. Last fall he plunged ever lower, getting commitments from Cruz and Chaz Lucius, ages 13 and 14, from Gentry Academy in Vadnais Heights.
Loading up on pubescent phenoms was akin to building a football team with only quarterbacks and receivers. The firepower looks dazzling paper, until you realize no one wants to block or stuff the run. The results were predictable.
Tune in this year, and you would bear witness to a collection of child stars unable and unwilling to subvert their ego for the aggregate good. When you’ve been told you’re the greatest since elementary age, there’s a tendency to see the yeoman’s part of your job as beneath you."

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND playing Western Michigan this weekend in Kalamazoo, Mich. 0-0 after 2. UND played well in first period, but took 6 penalties (5 WMU PP) in the second, so Adam School really kept them in the game. WMU winning face-offs 28-16. Unusual for UND to be behind in that stat.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND playing Western Michigan this weekend in Kalamazoo, Mich. 0-0 after 2. UND played well in first period, but took 6 penalties (5 WMU PP) in the second, so Adam Scheel really kept them in the game. WMU winning face-offs 28-16. Unusual for UND to be behind in that stat.

fixed it for ya!! Yea! Scheel is playing like a stud so far this year.

0-0 7:54 left in the third. Figured they'd be a good test for UND this weekend. Go Sioux!!

Gavin Hain gets the OT win for the Sioux. Unbeaten in the last 12 games!!

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
0-0 after 3. 5 minutes of 5 on 5 OT next.

UND wins 1-0 in 5 on 5 OT to take all 3 NCHC points tonight!!!

Got our rooms in Nashville today. Will get tickets Monday and then plane reservations. Tickets go on sale Monday morning for Hall of Fame Game on Oct 17, 2020 with Penn State:

https://www.ndchampionsclub.com/nashville

And finish off a successful Friday night UND hockey game with a snack of Dungeness crab and KJ chard!

IMG_2472.jpg

Tomorrow is a different story. It's our annual Lutefisk dinner at the Nordhal in Los Gatos and we will have chard but will miss periods 2 and 3 of the game! I'll try to catch updates on cell phone.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sioux up early 3-0 midway through period 1 tonight against Western MI in Kalamazoo.

AT 3:15 Left to go in period 1, glass was broken and needed replacement. They agreed to let that be the end of the first period then. Would play the 3:15 after the glass was fixed and then take a minute break and go right into the 2nd period. Never have been a part of that or seen it. Still 3-0 18:00 left in the second.

15:06 left in the third. 5-1 UND.

Game ends with a final score of 8-2. SWEEP

UND 3-6 in PP

Scheel (and UND) 14-1-2

UND leads the NCHC by 4 points over MN Duluth Bulldogs.

Special team it looks like this year. UND"s lone loss and one tie against #1 Minn. State Mankato. One other tie against #4 Denver.

Break until they play the U 18 team Dec. 28.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND didn't play their best game tonight but they came out on top of Alabama Huntsville 5-2. Watched it streamed live on NCHC TV.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.06.50 PM.jpg

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
#1 vs #60. who the hell scheduled this one. No winning situation except the score. We win 4-3 or some one run game, we drop in the standings. I realize this was scheduled years ago, just saying. Go SIoux!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
#1 vs #60. who the hell scheduled this one. No winning situation except the score. We win 4-3 or some one run game, we drop in the standings. I realize this was scheduled years ago, just saying. Go SIoux!!

Not sure how the standings are determined ... I just look at USCHO, and there are 50 votes. I assume that probably 40 votes come from the Eastern Time Zone sports writers, so they could look at this game as one UND should win handily. The final score would indicate we did. I doubt that they have time to do much of a review on 30 hockey games on both Friday and Saturday nights. Probably just review box scores and UND had much better numbers than UAH. Haven't looked at how the other top teams did Friday tho.

I did read a couple of years ago when I researched the PairWise ranking that originally it was possible for a highly ranked team (UND #1) barely beating a lower ranked team (UAH #60) and ending losing points in the PairWise calculations. That was corrected, so as long as UND wins they will not lose points in PairWise.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND won again 5-2 and set a new record for most wins in a row at The REA ... 13! Played better than Friday I think. Here's the stats:

Screen Shot 2020-01-04 at 7.34.38 PM.jpg

UN Omaha at REA next weekend. All NCHC games from here on out. We'll be in GF for the DU series. Go SIOUX!!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
UND drops one at home tonight against UOmaha. Scheel gave up the first two shots on net tonight. Didn't get much better as time went on. Scheel gets pulled later in the game. RUSTY

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Final was 6-3 for Omaha, but UNO had 2 empty net goals on last 2-1/2 minutes, so in reality it is a 4-3 loss. UND outplayed Omaha in all departments:

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 8.08.19 PM.jpg

but couldn't put puck into the net and had some bad turnovers.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fire berry

Fire the Coach of the Number 1 team in the nation because he lost one game and replace him with who in the middle of the season???

This has to be sarcasm, right? It needs one of these at the end. :::

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fire the Coach of the Number 1 team in the nation because he lost one game and replace him with who in the middle of the season???

This has to be sarcasm, right? It needs one of these at the end. :::

no sarcasm! The number 1 team did not show up tonight who’s fault is that? Berry? An 8-9 team came into their house and gave them a beating first 2 shots on goal went in then 4 goals with 8 shots on net. FIRE BERRY!!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
no sarcasm! The number 1 team did not show up tonight who’s fault is that? Berry? An 8-9 team came into their house and gave them a beating first 2 shots on goal went in then 4 goals with 8 shots on net. FIRE BERRY!!

You didn't answer the main question - who do you promote or hire to replace Berry in the middle of the season? You are only giving the AD half of the advice he needs - he needs someone to put in Berry's place.

Last edited:

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
SIOUX back on their game tonight ... 3-0 after first

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 5.52.49 PM.jpg

4-1 after second. UND has 11 seconds of PP to start the third

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 6.48.22 PM.jpg

No goals in the third ... game ends at 4-1. UND took too many dumb penalties but did not give up a PP goal. Don't understand UND's penalty minutes. They had 4 two minute minors and 1 five minute major. Think the stats are wrong.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 7.46.12 PM.jpg

Next 2 weekends are away games so no MidCo TV, but both Friday games are televised nationwide on CBS SNet. Miami games are in ET, so start earlier than games at the REA. Times listed are CT zone.

ps: If you have NCHC.tv streaming online, that will work for the rest of the regular season. UND's schedule is all Conference games until the post-season.

Screen Shot 2020-01-11 at 9.51.22 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84