Buying a new gun..Dilemma

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Honestly, most of the guns being produced will shoot better than the guy squeezing the trigger. The key is to find a round that shoots well out of the gun u pick. There are many fine guns out there that will do what you want. In the last 6 years I've kind of become a Savage guy. I do have some remingtons and I bought my wife a Browning hells canyon LRH that is great to shoot and beautiful to boot. My next bolt gun will be either a savage model 12fv, or 12fcv. They are great guns, and they are cheap, which means more money for reloading supplies, hunting trips, hookers and blow, or whatever a guy could want.

3geese4me

Honored Member
I just bought a Ruger American in 6.5 manbun. I got it for less than $600 out the door and I've been incredibly impressed with the results.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
X3 on the Ruger American 6.5. Bought one last year for my daughter and I have had a blast shooting it. Topped it with a Vortex Diamondback 4x16x44, sunshade, bipod, sling and ordered it with the Magpul clips. All in was just a tick over $800. Shoots very reliably out to 500-600 yards. Haven’t pushed it past that yet. Low recoil, great shooting, and relatively inexpensive. I used it last year and this year deer hunting (2 for 2) and my daughter killed her first deer with it during youth season. I’m Liking the 6.5 enough that I’d like to buy myself a nice one so this thread is kinda timely. Daughter will have her youth buck tag so with any luck we’ll be hunting together next year, top that with my son having his first youth doe tag and it puts me in the market for another 6.5, or maybe 2 ��. After years of my 06’ kicking my ass, I’ll wear my manbun proud shooting the 6.5.

FYI, it was a toss up, just about went with a 7mm08!

Fox Island Outfitter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for coming in Achucker! Good to see a young man save his hard earned money for a gun! Hope he enjoys it along with the Vortex. Great combo!

Last edited:

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My tikka took a shit this year. Started to group poorly and then a retainer clip fell out of my trigger assembly. Parts aren’t available until February. I’m in the market as well.

Had the same issue with my 50+ year old Rem 700. Just replaced with a Timney trigger and it's like new, maybe better. Didn't have a grouping problem, just the trigger.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
FWIW, the Hornaday 143ELDX shoot excellent and have been very a very potent deer round for us. A buddy did have one shell out disintegrate and come apart on a really close 20 yd shot, probably a little to hot at close range.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think we need to hear more about your needs before helping you narrow things down. It’s like asking us to pick you out a new girl. You want a fat ugly one, or sexy skinny one. I’m a Rem 700 guy with light to heavy guns and everything in between.

What time is it and how many beers have I had?
Hunting rifle deer, elk, hunt in ND and MT but just started putting in for elk tags in other western states Lighter gun doesn't need to be ultralight but am not against it, holds/balances well shoots good out of the box without much or any tinkering. I don't reload but usually buy the premium ammo in a few different flavors/grains to see what the gun likes.
A year or two ago I was just browsing guns at scheels shouldered a ridgeline and like the way if felt and told myself I was going to hold off on buying any guns buy once cry once and get a higher end gun. Now my gun buying trigger finger is itchy and have been looking around more, and have been trying to decide if it's worth it for me, I shoot probably 60 rounds a year out my bigger calibers and then go hunting. The AR or 22 250 get shot more because they get used for plinking gophers and other vermin.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had the same issue with my 50+ year old Rem 700. Just replaced with a Timney trigger and it's like new, maybe better. Didn't have a grouping problem, just the trigger.
I’ve narrowed it down to the suppressor or scope/rings. But the tikka trigger is already so good so I hate to have to replace it.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing will discourage accuracy like buying a gun you hate to shoot. You will hate practicing and experimenting with various loads and your shooting will never be as capable as the rifle. Father-in-law got tired of a 30-06 kicking his old ass so now he’s shopping for a 6.5 Manbun.

ha ha ha ha...good one BW....think we now have a new gun caliber...ha ha ha

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pisses me off people act like the creedmoor just came out a year or two ago. Just call it the 260 done right if you don’t like the name. Sixty rounds a year spend the money on glass any rifle will work for that little of shooting.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=119841

This is a good deal maybe I will go this route in the boring 30-06 caliber. Only thing I wonder about is if the barrel is thread able or how thin it is.

I wasn’t able to find a muzzle diameter on the internet. I’d call kimber for the dimensions and do a little math to find out how much meat is available for threading. I believe [MENTION=428]Bed Wetter[/MENTION] was having some issues with a 308 Kimber lightweight barrel for threading.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

ha ha ha ha...good one BW....think we now have a new gun caliber...ha ha ha

I can’t take credit for coining “6.5 manbun” as it’s been bandied about other websites. However, when I want to expound on the superior ballistics and terminal capabilities of the caliber, I will occasionally refer to it as the “6.5 Creedhiroshima.”

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barrett Fieldcraft.

Throated to match mag-box confines. Twisted properly. Fantastic stock, that's individually bedded to the action. Factory installed Timney trigger. Extremely accurate. Lightweight. Can be had set up properly for a suppressor if you so desire.

There's nothing else that checks all those boxes for what a Barrett costs.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=119841

This is a good deal maybe I will go this route in the boring 30-06 caliber. Only thing I wonder about is if the barrel is thread able or how thin it is.

I’ve looked into the technical aspects of threading a .30 caliber lightweight barrel and concluded it’s a bad idea. “But Kimber does it.” Kimber also puts 1/12 twist on a .308, so don’t get me started. Creating an extremely thin barrel wall - like .06” thin - at the muzzle end of a barrel, then putting weight and stress on it, is begging to ruin a barrel or a suppressor or worse. If you’re going to thread a lightweight or featherweight barrel, you’ll likely need to thread it 1/2x28. Kimber threads theirs 7/16x28 which is pants-on-head stupid if you actually wanted to use those threads to mount anything. Let me see if I have a pic of their 7/16 thread on a .300 Winmag barrel...

F339DE34-AC75-4265-A4CB-BC5A6DD96000.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lots n lots of guns is the answer. :;:cheers

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nothing wrong with a Mossberg Patriot in 308 Win.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77