Buying a new gun..Dilemma

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast and flat they are! Are some faster and flatter? Probably. Is it faster and flatter than many? Most definitely. No just muzzle velocity but down range as well. I've noticed You sure seem to be always looking to fight and contradict on here. Tough childhood or just a know it all? Either way if you read enough about guns, ballistics etc. Most of these new wave calibers are all basically trying to copy a .270. Those are not my words but words I've read in print. So why not just get one? Although I would like to drink the juice and try a creedmor just for fun.

nope just don’t deal well with bullshit. The ballistics you speak off tell a different story the new wave cartridges how in any way are they trying to copy the 270? Show me the tables and prove me wrong. It sounds like you have read one to many Ron spoomer paid advertisement articles. If it wasn’t for Elmer Kieth the 270 would be an after thought

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
You obviously don't read enough. I'm assuming not enough pictures for you. If it wasn't for Jack O'Connor the .270 may have disappeared. But it didn't because too many found it very efficient for killing numerous species. It still ranks high as one of the best deer calibers. IF you were actually to read more you'd learn that many of these new calibers came about because they wanted to compete with a .270. .270 was made in 1925 and had super success but it's biggest knock is that there wasn't enough grain choices. So they started trying to make other calibers that are similar to .270 but with more options. Fast, flat lower recoil. They have come out with a lot of new calibers and cartridges. Makes it quite interesting gun shopping these days. Again as I said before-the only bullsh!t around here is you...can tell by your post count.

- - - Updated - - -

A .270 sighted in with a factory 130g bullet sighted in dead on at 200 yds will only drop approx. 15 inches at 400. That's pretty dang good. Fast-flat. Best-- I doubt it but solid-- yes. That will improve with hand loads.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was never a 6.5 fan. Just didnt see what all the craze was about. Till I built a 6.5 x 284 and shot it out to 600 yds. So I went a head and built another one. Both have Brux barrels 1 - 8 twist. Both built on Remington 700 actions. Both blueprinted and chambered with the same reamer. First one built has a 26 inch barrel sec one has a 24 inch barrel. They both shoot 143 gr Hornady ELD X in the same hole all day long. Some people have asked me why I didnt build a 6.5 Creedmoor as its on a short action. I tell them if a caliber is based on the length of action that is a poor excuse. I can cycle a long action as fast as a short action. And the way they shoot I dont need to cycle the action. Between Antelope and Deer and lots of Prairie dogs every shot has been one shot kills. The 6.5 x 284 has won more matches than the 6.5 Creedmoor ever will. To me its a better designed cartridge and you have lots of room for loads.

Now someone is going to bring up the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5/300 Wby. There is nothing wrong with both of them cartridges. I have 25/300 Wby that will do the samething as the 6.5/300 Wby only faster.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really...do you think the deer care?

- - - Updated - - -

I was never a 6.5 fan. Just didnt see what all the craze was about. Till I built a 6.5 x 284 and shot it out to 600 yds. So I went a head and built another one. Both have Brux barrels 1 - 8 twist. Both built on Remington 700 actions. Both blueprinted and chambered with the same reamer. First one built has a 26 inch barrel sec one has a 24 inch barrel. They both shoot 143 gr Hornady ELD X in the same hole all day long. Some people have asked me why I didnt build a 6.5 Creedmoor as its on a short action. I tell them if a caliber is based on the length of action that is a poor excuse. I can cycle a long action as fast as a short action. And the way they shoot I dont need to cycle the action. Between Antelope and Deer and lots of Prairie dogs every shot has been one shot kills. The 6.5 x 284 has won more matches than the 6.5 Creedmoor ever will. To me its a better designed cartridge and you have lots of room for loads.

Now someone is going to bring up the 6.5 PRC and the 6.5/300 Wby. There is nothing wrong with both of them cartridges. I have 25/300 Wby that will do the samething as the 6.5/300 Wby only faster.

I haven't read up enough yet of those. Can you give more specifics on the 6.5x284 and how it differs from 6.5?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a 25-06. When I shoot it at animals they die. I am therefore happy. The end.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You obviously don't read enough. I'm assuming not enough pictures for you. If it wasn't for Jack O'Connor the .270 may have disappeared. But it didn't because too many found it very efficient for killing numerous species. It still ranks high as one of the best deer calibers. IF you were actually to read more you'd learn that many of these new calibers came about because they wanted to compete with a .270. .270 was made in 1925 and had super success but it's biggest knock is that there wasn't enough grain choices. So they started trying to make other calibers that are similar to .270 but with more options. Fast, flat lower recoil. They have come out with a lot of new calibers and cartridges. Makes it quite interesting gun shopping these days. Again as I said before-the only bullsh!t around here is you...can tell by your post count.

- - - Updated - - -

A .270 sighted in with a factory 130g bullet sighted in dead on at 200 yds will only drop approx. 15 inches at 400. That's pretty dang good. Fast-flat. Best-- I doubt it but solid-- yes. That will improve with hand loads.

. Just for food for thought the creedmoor which is no speed ball drops 19.1 inches at 400 when zeroed at 200 but that is with a 143 grain bullet. So run a 140 and see what the comparison is.

- - - Updated - - -

My brother just built a custom 270 it is way more impressive with the heavy bullets

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, you’re not reading enough. Spend more time reading.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy hearing people say they have a “6.5.” A 6.5 what? There are other 6.5’s out there than just the manbun.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guys, you’re not reading enough. Spend more time reading.

- - - Updated - - -

I enjoy hearing people say they have a “6.5.” A 6.5 what? There are other 6.5’s out there than just the manbun.

come on now the 6.5 is new every one knows the .264 is better

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
. Just for food for thought the creedmoor which is no speed ball drops 19.1 inches at 400 when zeroed at 200 but that is with a 143 grain bullet. So run a 140 and see what the comparison is.

- - - Updated - - -

My brother just built a custom 270 it is way more impressive with the heavy bullets

I believe a factory 150 grain bullet for .270 drops 21 inches at 400 when sighted in at 200. One thing I'll relent to is it's a no brainer that if a deer is hit in right area most guns are just fine. But hitting incorrectly can be an issue and that is maybe where a different caliber may trump a .270? Not sure tho as I never miss!:;:muahaha

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot a 25-06. When I shoot it at animals they die. I am therefore happy. The end.

Bingo!

25-06, .270, 7mm are just a couple that will do everything you need to do when it comes to hunting in these parts and do it extremely well.
Maybe pick up a .300 win or .338 if you want something for big stuff.
Oh and you have to have a 10/22 ruger as well right!

I'm with Bigv, the cartridge shaming gets old on here. Shoot what you like. Hell my Canadian buddy has shot a lot of big deer, last years went 190. Shoots everything with an 80s model remington 760 gamemaster pump short barrelled 30-06 with a 6x power weaver that gets banged around on an atv and climbing trees daily. I would never tell him that "that thing is worthless, you need a suppressed CREEDMOOR ..."

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
These topics always make me laugh. I for one hate the 6.5 Creedmoor just because everyone and their dog has one. That doesn't make it a bad gun. I also do not shoot past 400 yards when I am hunting and bench shooting is boring to me. There are definitely better calibers for longer range than 400 yards than what most average joe like me have. As said before you can get away with a cheaper gun with better glass and it will work just fine.

When I was 19 (I am now 36) I had no money and the first gun I bought was a savage model 11 in 270 WSM for about $350 and put a $200 scope on it. Ugliest cheapest feeling and looking SOB you have ever seen. Just for fun I put a $500 dollar scope on it this year and took it out for my muley buck. Shoots the lights out with factory ammo and can easily reach my distance of 400.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Really...do you think the deer care?

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't read up enough yet of those. Can you give more specifics on the 6.5x284 and how it differs from 6.5?

A 6.5 x 284 is based off the Winchester 284 which is a .284 dia or 7mm and necked down to a 6.5. They have necked it both ways from a 6MM X 284 to a 25 x 284 and even a 30 x 284. There are some cartridges that are really accurate and some that are pretty good. Seems like everything based off the 284 cartridge shoots good. Just like everything based off the 308 Winchester like the 243,260 7mm08 and the 6.5 Creedmore.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
More people have a 270 than creedmoor

a chart from 270 shot over Labradar at elevation what ever Boise is 140 sst seems slow but banging steel at 900

86DBF14D-BFE9-4DB2-A568-6426A7036021.jpg

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast and flat compared to what
Yours and my Creedmoor Kurt. My 270 with R22 kicks out a Berger VLD at 3070 fps. Right out of the Barmes manual. I have not shot my 270 for a couple of years, but it's a great gun.

I agree with you bigv. I have a 6.5x284 that pushes the 143 ELD-X at 3030 fps which beats the new magic 6.5 PRC factory ammo. I have fast and flat and big and slow rifles both. I don't shoot a lot of rounds through the fast and flat because I would like the barrel to last a few years. You need a thicker wallet than mine to shoot a lot of rounds through fast and flat. The old 270 is a good compromise and beats a lot of the new gottahave magic cartridges.

Ooops forgot to say that 270 doing 3070 fps is with a 150gr VLD. 20191202_205834_001.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yours and my Creedmoor Kurt. My 270 with R22 kicks out a Berger VLD at 3070 fps. Right out of the Barmes manual. I have not shot my 270 for a couple of years, but it's a great gun.

I agree with you bigv. I have a 6.5x284 that pushes the 143 ELD-X at 3030 fps which beats the new magic 6.5 PRC factory ammo. I have fast and flat and big and slow rifles both. I don't shoot a lot of rounds through the fast and flat because I would like the barrel to last a few years. You need a thicker wallet than mine to shoot a lot of rounds through fast and flat. The old 270 is a good compromise and beats a lot of the new gottahave magic cartridges.

Its a cartridge but fast and flat would not be what come to people’s mind was my point of contention. It has finally gotten some decent bullets but before that it’s like the quarter bores that suffered from poor bullet selection. To the average hunter who shoots ten time a year this means nothing to them but to us nerds who enjoy shooting a lot it’s shit like g1 bc vs g7 that is interesting

- - - Updated - - -

Plus trajectory is easily corrected wind is the magic

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
sportsmans warehouse has the tc compass in several calibers right now for 219$, runnings in Dickinson has a 25-06 and a 7-08 savage axis for around 250$ last day for 75$ rebate also.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70