Buying a new gun..Dilemma

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with the browning hells canyon lineup. Been eyeballing a hells canyon speed in 6.5prc. For some reason I have an itch for a lightweight 6.5 but hate the creedmoor. Not really sure I need another gun though.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
UPDATE: FIL is sick of his 30-06 kicking his ass. Asked me about a new gun. Loaned him my Barrett 6.5 Manbun. He shot it this morning and went to Scheels and bought a Tikka 6.5 Manbun. His hair has never looked more stunning.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would any of you guy buy a 22-250 even though you have a .223? I’m itching for one. Would be pretty much for coyotes. Or is there a better caliber to look at

1:8 Barrett 22-250 shooting 75’s is WICKED.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with the browning hells canyon lineup. Been eyeballing a hells canyon speed in 6.5prc. For some reason I have an itch for a lightweight 6.5 but hate the creedmoor. Not really sure I need another gun though.

My brother just bought the browning long range in 6.5 prc and likes it put a sig on top banging steel to 1000 with factory 147eldms. His buddy killed 5 cow elk with his prc this year and the 147 but they also killed 3 other cows with the creedmoor. Or could get a 6.5 4s .

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I spent 1900.00 on a Barrett I would buy a Remington 700 Action and have it printed and get a good barrel and have it chambered in the caliber a person wanted and only have less than 1000.00 into it. Buy a McMillian stock for 500.00 and you still have less than a barrett.

I thought about doing something like as I have a couple rem 700 with wood or laminate stocks but 2 things that I talked myself out of it.

1. I need to find a good/trusted gunsmith to do the work and don't know enough about barrels, stocks, etc on what to get and get done.

2. The convience(which you might pay extra for) of just buying a gun that is ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

1:8 Barrett 22-250 shooting 75’s is WICKED.
This sounds fun and might be a good way to go to get some shooting in coyote hunting.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
With proper bullets / shot placement out to 350 yards, a deer is just as dead whether shooting a 22-250 or a 300 mag.
A 6.5 creedmoor is nothing but HYPE!!.
Sure it's an efficient round but it ain't gonna kill shit anymore effective than any other similar round. Take that to the bank!!!!!

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
With proper bullets / shot placement out to 350 yards, a deer is just as dead whether shooting a 22-250 or a 300 mag.
Sure it's an efficient round but it ain't gonna kill shit anymore effective than any other similar round. Take that to the bank!!!!!

You’re right, it’ll just do it with a lot less of the needless recoil and powder and noise.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

sdmf outlined already the on the why. Dead is dead I agree with just like people who say you can’t use match bullets to kill they make stuff just as dead as so called hunting bullets. PRs and match shooters don’t work off hype and the creedmoor was originally designed to shoot out of service rifles which sdmf has outlined why. Where can you find match grade factory ammo for other than the creedmoor at the price it can be attained. It’s hornadys baby and had factory support unlike any other calibers the creedmoor and its varieties from the 22 to the 300 prc will have support like no other since big red is behind them. I would say being on the shooting scene for over 10 years is more than hype. Creedmoor shooters are not here to take part we are here to take over haha

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought about doing something like as I have a couple rem 700 with wood or laminate stocks but 2 things that I talked myself out of it.

1. I need to find a good/trusted gunsmith to do the work and don't know enough about barrels, stocks, etc on what to get and get done.

2. The convience(which you might pay extra for) of just buying a gun that is ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

This sounds fun and might be a good way to go to get some shooting in coyote hunting.

I can line you up with a good Gunsmith/Machinist that will build about any caliber you want. Except for 6.5 creedmoor as he says there only for Bed wetters and guys with manbuns

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How this entire topic as devolved into the merits of the Creedmoor, I find myself doing more and more reading about the various calibers, some that I own, some that i don't, and some I probably wouldn't mind trying. As a man-bun supporter, I've enjoyed the relaxing recoil and great accuracy that I've gotten out of a a very cheap 6.5CM build that I mentioned several pages ago. Enough so, that I thought for sure I buy another and go a bit higher end. This is however divulged into a quest that I didn't anticipate where there are literally 12 or more versions of the 6.5 or similar that most probably don't realize, several mentioned in this thread. There's always a natural draw to have the biggest, baddest, fastest which would lead a person to the 6.5-300 Wby, kicking out 140 grain pills at a blazing 3,400 fps; or the infamous 26 nosler which has better factory support, neither that will keep a barrel from burning out if you plan to spend time shooting down range and the fact of the matter, both are gonna pack a wallop recoil wise if that's a concern, there's no way to get around the physics unless muzzle break is your cup of tea.

This of course takes me to where the 6.5PRC might provide the best compromise between, recoil, speed, retained energy and accuracy. It picks up 250ish fps over the 6.5CM which leads to less drop, less wind drift, and more ft-lbs of energy down range. Shooting the same 143 ELDXs you gain 8" of drop @ 500yds, if you want to ding steel out at 800 you'll get the 8" less wind drift on a 10mph cross wind and to top it off, if the old adage of having 1,000ft-lbs of energy being the cut line for ethical long range shots at Deer size animals; the prc allows another 125-150 yds of range pushing out to around 825+- yds (if I recall correctly). These stat's aren't exact but give a decent representation. The other side of this is as long as Hornady pushes the prc and supports it like they have the CM, you'll have good factory support, choices of ammo, and guns chambered for it. In my narrow mind, I feel the 6.5PRC is what the CM should've been and likely what I'll choose on my next build. I see a few on here have chosen this round as well and I'd assume for the same merits. Curious as to if anyone that has shot both back to back notices any recoil difference?

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of Creedmoors…. I don't have the 6.5 and have no use for one because of other calibers but I did recently build a 22 Creedmoor. Let me tell you how much I love that thing! I own about all the standared short action calibers for coyotes but this is my new favorite!

Last edited:

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speaking of Creedmoors…. I don't have the 6.5 and have no use for one because of other calibers but I did recently build a 22 Creedmoor. Let me tell you how much I love that thing! I own about all the standared short action calibers for coyotes but this is my new favorite!
Why do you prefer it over a 22-250?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anybody wants a 12.2 lb scoped, custom 6.5mm SLR, hit me up. I have no use for "range rifles" anymore, and am too fat to lug it around hunting.
You can send it off to be re-chambered into 6.5 Manbun really easily, if the SLR doesn't work for you.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Pick up a nice 270, 308 or 30-06 put a good scope on it and you're good to go hunt anything in the US. Ammo is easy to find anywhere you go and won't break the bank buying it on sale.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I love my 270. I love my 308. I love my 300 mag. I love my 22-250. I love my A17. I love my 17 Goldenboy. I love my 22 Rugers. I love all my guns. But most of all I love my wife for buying half of them.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why do you prefer it over a 22-250?

I have a 22-250 also which I love but I am slinging 77TMK's at 3500 with this setup. My 250 is slinging 55's due to barrel twist. The 22 Creed gives me a little better option for slinging heavier bullets while retaining the speed. Barrel life won't be great but for coyotes it will last plenty long. When comparing ballistics the Creed passes the 250 if I remember correctly between 3-400 yards.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 22-250 also which I love but I am slinging 77TMK's at 3500 with this setup. My 250 is slinging 55's due to barrel twist. The 22 Creed gives me a little better option for slinging heavier bullets while retaining the speed.

I have a 24" barreled 1:8 22-250 and I'm just under 3300fps w/75's. 22CreedMoor looks to add a couple hundred FPS. If one is buying new and doesn't have a platform or components they like already, no reason NOT to go 22CreedMoor. Buying off the shelf the 22CreedMoor will give you the heavy-bullet capable twist rate right out of the gate, if trying to stay 22-250, you're going to need to source a properly twisted bbl blank and have it chambered.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the point some are missing in regards to the creedmoor discussion is that there is a heavy for caliber bullet revolution that’s been going on for a while now, and the slow twisted guns of yesterday can’t shoot many of these offerings.

- - - Updated - - -

That’s where reloading and custom built guns had an advantage. Hornady closed that gap with the 6.5 creedmoor with reasons already mentioned by SDMF and others.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 6.5x284 that pushes a 140gr to 3050 + or -. Now on longrangehunter I find a powder that lets me get a 140gr to 3056 out of a 24 inch barrel Creedmoor. It gets better every day.

Did I post that before? Maybe having a senior moment here. I don't want another of those bad reps that call me a senile old bast$%&@ard. ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67