Buying a new gun..Dilemma

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting here eating about 2 miles in a walk in area after a a 180” mule deer hop out my life sure wish I had the creedmoor and not the muzzle loader. 205 yards. Hell even a 270 would have worked :D

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
They advertise R26 as temperature insensitive like Varget etc. The guys on Long Range Hunter report that it's very consistent with temperature changes.

The first year Hornady produced 6.5 Creedmoor ammo they printed their load data on the box. Their 140 gr was loaded with 41.5 he H4350. So for years that's what I have been shooting. I have a 24 inch heavy sported and a 26 inch heavy straight taper. I was chronograpging with my 26 inch.

I plan on sticking with 48 gr of R26. The max load the fellow experimented with was 49 gr and he still had no excess pressure. I don't remember if he mentioned the temperature he was shooting in.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love reading these threads.

Mostly because they remind me of how little I know about rifles. In large calibers, all I own are a S&W Model 1500 in 25-06, a Rem 700 in 7 mm Rem Mag, and a Tikka T3 in 243.

All perform their assigned missions just fine. I have no idea where I'd find the time to get into the finer points of guns like you gents. It's always a fun read though.

I also like reading these threads. From about 1969 until 1997 I did a fare amount of reloading. Lost it all then. And just didn't have the time or the resources to get started again. But I sure enjoy the chatter on reloading. Keep it up guys.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found the original thread. Here is one man's experience.

As far as temp stability, I'll quote my post from the "Reloder 26" thread as well. I have heard of people getting good results until temps get over 85ish, then the velocities tend to go up quicker than normal, however, I have not seen this in the two rifles I have loaded in, but I also haven't thoroughly tested at these higher temps.

So I did a temperature test, I'll go over how I conducted it. I put 5 rounds in a zip lock bag in my freezer overnight, then on my way to the range I put the rounds in a bucket filled with ice, and put my kestrel inside so I had a temperature I could monitor and record. The other rounds were kept at room temperature in my house, then on my dashboard in my truck on the way to the range.

When I got to the range and set up my chronograph, I got my bucket of ice and pulled my kestrel out and looked at the temp, it registered 17° f, but by the time I thought to get my phone out and take a picture, it had warmed up to the 30's, as the ambient temp outside was in the high 60's. After this I put my kestrel in my ammo box with my room temp rounds.

First I shot the chilled rounds, pulling them out of the ice one at a time, and I shot them within about 3 seconds of chambering them, and recording velocity. Then after that, I let my barrel cool to room temp, then looked at the temp in my ammo box, which was 67 ° f. Then I shot those 5 rounds, and recorded velocity.

This was my load for all rounds fired in my .260 AI:

49.1 grains RL-26
Lapua Brass
CCI BR-2 primer
140 Berger VLD Seated .005 off lands

And these were my velocity results:

17° f -
1. 3051
2. 3046
3. 3056
4. 3066
5. 3055 AVG. 3054, E.S. 20 FPS

67° f -
1. 3060
2. 3059
3. 3055
4. 3058
5. 3063 AVG. 3059, E.S. 8 FPS

My lower temp loads would have had a 10 fps e.s. If it wasn't for the one that went 3066, and also would have averaged 3052 instead of 3054. But even at that...The velocity spread for 50° f difference was only 7 fps...so all my worries about temp sensativity are now dismissed, at least for this rifle.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anybody needs H4350, I’ve got an 8lb unopened jug I’ll let go for $175. Was going to reload but I got no time.
I may take you up on that. Researching 6mm manbun loads and sayings like H4350 is the cats ass. Over 77% of competitive shooters use it and even more impressive like 80% of them find a node between 40.2 and 41.6 per precision rifle blog survey.

- - - Updated - - -

Rifle just came in today. Can’t wait to drop a scope on her put the can on and let it rip

- - - Updated - - -

We’re you from bedwetter? Fargay? Haha

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
new gun.jpg

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting here eating about 2 miles in a walk in area after a a 180” mule deer hop out my life sure wish I had the creedmoor and not the muzzle loader. 205 yards. Hell even a 270 would have worked :D

I'm about ready to throw the muzzy in the weeds and take my chance with a .243. Big whitetail today at 60 yards and I have something between a normal firing and a primer popping off? WTF? I hate muzzleloaders but I like the tag.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm about ready to throw the muzzy in the weeds and take my chance with a .243. Big whitetail today at 60 yards and I have something between a normal firing and a primer popping off? WTF? I hate muzzleloaders but I like the tag.

ya Jeff took it out last night to shoot a doe it didn’t fire. Can’t imagine what I would have done it that happened to me. Cleaned it and it worked fine at the range this morning don’t know what the hell the deal was

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After having lots of hang fires I went to this method. Shoot 2 or 3 primers then load with 15 gr IMR 4064 and 150 gr Buckhorn 209. It goes off like a rifle does and have never had a hang fire. This is shooting a Knight 85 with magnum rifle primers.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
After having lots of hang fires I went to this method. Shoot 2 or 3 primers then load with 15 gr IMR 4064 and 150 gr Buckhorn 209. It goes off like a rifle does and have never had a hang fire. This is shooting a Knight 85 with magnum rifle primers.
That's surprising. Do you happen to know the ignition temperature of 4064. I don't, but most modern powders ignite between 801 and 867 degree F. I believe black powder ignites at 500 degrees F. The black powder substitutes all fall between those two temperatures. I would think 4064 would hamper ignition.
The old flintlock shooters would put a small object in the touch hole to keep powder out. If powder got in the touch hole and didn't allow a spark into the chamber ignition was slow because the powder in the touch hole burned like a fuse. In modern muzzleloaders the same thing can happen. I find better accuracy if I actually fire a fouling shot then use a nipple pick to ensure the nipple is open on my Hawken or inline. Even better is to leave the nipple pick in place while you dump your powder and seat the bullet. The old drum and nipple ignition systems are the hardest to ignite. If you have a problem with a modern inline with direct fire to the powder charge something is plugged. Like I said I fire a couple of caps or an actual load. If you fire caps only you likely have a plugged line of fire.

My Hawken is six inches low with a clean cold barrel (patched ball). A fouling shot and all following shots are all on at 100 yards. My inlines with sabots require no fouling shot.

Last edited:

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member

That's part of the Muzzy experience. But if you are shooting an inline it is more like a single shot rifle than a traditional muzzle loader anyway. Muzzy tags in ND were every couple of years until the inline craze and additional doe tags brought which in my opinion has ruined the season in ND. I wish they would eliminate the inlines with primers and only allow percussion caps and get back to the original
intent of the muzzle loader season.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's part of the Muzzy experience. But if you are shooting an inline it is more like a single shot rifle than a traditional muzzle loader anyway. Muzzy tags in ND were every couple of years until the inline craze and additional doe tags brought which in my opinion has ruined the season in ND. I wish they would eliminate the inlines with primers and only allow percussion caps and get back to the original

we cant use scopes so it is 100 yards at the best and doe tags are unlimited if you want one. Muzzle loader is a meh for me

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
The scope law in ND sucks donkey balls. I bought a 1 power scope for mine and the next time I get a tag it will more then likely be coming off. When you look thru it, a deer at 100 yards looks like its 300 yards away. ;:;banghead

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74