Buying a new gun..Dilemma

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crap that's where my money is going. I shoot over 1000 rounds a year out of my Creedmoors. I bought a couple of 308s because I was wearing out my old 300 mag shooting 500 rounds a year through it. Prairie dogs really pop with a 300 mag. You guys may think I am joking about these things. I don't keep real close tabs on how much I shoot, but I did go through 5000 primers between September and May.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crap that's where my money is going. I shoot over 1000 rounds a year out of my Creedmoors. I bought a couple of 308s because I was wearing out my old 300 mag shooting 500 rounds a year through it. Prairie dogs really pop with a 300 mag. You guys may think I am joking about these things. I don't keep real close tabs on how much I shoot, but I did go through 5000 primers between September and May.
I’m impressed. I really don’t enjoy shooting my 300 win mag, but it’s a light hunting rifle. Gets the job done but wouldn’t want to sit at a bench for an extended period.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Prairie Poodles were the best practice for deer hunting. If you could murder those little buggers at 300 yards consistently a deers head is a piece of cake much-less a heart lung shot. I have shot a lot of deer with my 22-250 and they just lay down and go to sleep.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it bizarre how batshit crazy folks have gone for the CREEDMOOR, as if there are no other choices. Never seen anything like it..not even close.

The guys at Scheels said they sell more CREEDMOOR than all other calibers combined now days, talk about drinking the koolaid.
4098_1549059642650.jpeg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it bizarre how batshit crazy folks have gone for the creedmore, as if there are no other choices. Never seen anything like it..not even close.

The guys at Scheels said they sell more creedmores than all other calibers combined now days, talk about drinking the koolaid.
368B5CD8-BEFE-46CF-A086-D728A69C35BF.jpg

first let’s have a spelling lesson C R E E D M O O R

well after having one since long before they were chambered in factory guns I will tell you why. It is designed to take long bc bullets in mag box with low recoil easy to tune with huge factory support. There is a reason the 6 mm variety is now leading the way in the prs for the reasons stated. Factory ammo is every where and cheaper match grade than all other calibers. With hornady in full support no shortage of brass or components it’s their baby. It’s odd to me people think it is some new caliber just out in the last few years or really don’t understand what the criteria it was designed around but these are also the same people that think match bullets can’t kill and 7 mags are the best ever

- - - Updated - - -

Let’s not forget the 6mm creedmoor is taking over prs and 22 creedmoor the predator shooting world.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Creedmoor's success is a case-study in the proper integration of R&D, engineering, and marketing.

The ammo fits within the rifle's confines (mag and chamber).
The rifle has been designed to optimize current and future ammunition/components.
The ammo companies produced ammo for hunters AND for recreational shooters.

There's nothing mystical/magical about the Creedmoor family. They've just been executed properly.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
None of creedmoors will make you a better hunter and their ballistic advantages are lost in your average hunter, just as they’re mostly lost when they are chambered in a pencil barreled Black Friday special. They sell because they have a cool name, not because everyone and their uncle has started paying more attention to ballistics and doing their best Tom Berenger impression.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
None of creedmoors will make you a better hunter and their ballistic advantages are lost in your average hunter, just as they’re mostly lost when they are chambered in a pencil barreled Black Friday special. They sell because they have a cool name, not because everyone and their uncle has started paying more attention to ballistics and doing their best Tom Berenger impression.

Better hunter, no. Better shooter? Maybe. Lots of excellent factory ammo and doesn’t kick the snot out of the shooter.

Again, the CreedMoor success is execution and support in all phases of production.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Little brother bought a kimber hunter in 6.5 this summer and after having the year he had shooting, he's turned something he thought was pretty fun into a new life addiction/passion I can see plainly already. That's what I call money well spent and helping him make his choice on his new setup and talking him out of what he was hell bent on buying makes it that much better. Witnessing his attitude towards deer hunting this year transform and finding the balls to upset his long time girlfriend a little bit in order to hunt a lot more than he envisioned makes me smile a little bit.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tikka, kimber hunter any others to throw in there? I have Thompson Center venture 22 250, that I bought used for cheap that shoots lights out, so maybe through that in the mix. I haven't decided on caliber yet either but going to be 7mm rem mag, 300 win, 300 wsm most likely. I have a 7mm-08 already so got that spectrum covered without having to get a man bun.

Myself and a couple friends have also experienced the uncanny accuracy of those cheap TC Ventures!
My first was in a 300 win with weathershield bought it for a cheap bush gun. Liked it so much I went and found a factory fluted one in 6.5-284, both have no problems shooting holes in holes at 100. Can't recommend those cheap rifles enough!
I'm far from being anti 6.5, my 6.5 ss has shot lights out for a couple years now. And the 6.5-300 has spiced things up a bit that's for sure.
Here's ND's own trex with some helpful info on building an inexpensive longer range hunting setup.

Last edited:

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are so many options out there. I sell firearms as a side gig and also offer custom rifle builds. When guys contact me I ask budget and what they expect. I sell a lot of Tikka and Bergara with some RAP's thown in there. When you get to that higher range off the shelf rifle then we discuss building. Hell you can build a custom for $2500 which most guys don't realize. Myself personally I run two customs and the rest are Remington's with triggers and stocks. I don't have many that won't shoot 1/4-1/2" with proper loads.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
look at eurooptics.com. Have sale on Mauser rifles. $200-300 off. If you like the creedmoor can get one for low 400s down from mid $600s. Pretty good deals for a solid gun. If you're not sure on money, buy a cheaper gun and put your money on the glass. Glass is what makes a good shooter/hunter not the gun. Any old gun will fire. IF you have the money.... do both. IMO, not much better rifle out there than the good ol fashioned .270. Fast and flat as hell. So many new creations out there yet most don't have same ballistics as the old .270

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
look at eurooptics.com. Have sale on Mauser rifles. $200-300 off. If you like the creedmoor can get one for low 400s down from mid $600s. Pretty good deals for a solid gun. If you're not sure on money, buy a cheaper gun and put your money on the glass. Glass is what makes a good shooter/hunter not the gun. Any old gun will fire. IF you have the money.... do both. IMO, not much better rifle out there than the good ol fashioned .270. Fast and flat as hell. So many new creations out there yet most don't have same ballistics as the old .270

Fast and flat compared to what

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
#270forlife!!!!

My 1:8 twist 270Win using R-26 will push a 150gn ABLR @ 3050fps from a 22” bbl. Put that in your PRC and smoke it.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have seen 2980 with the 156 beger and rl 26 from a 24” prc.

- - - Updated - - -

But fast and flat they both get beat by a lot of guns

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fast and flat they are! Are some faster and flatter? Probably. Is it faster and flatter than many? Most definitely. No just muzzle velocity but down range as well. I've noticed You sure seem to be always looking to fight and contradict on here. Tough childhood or just a know it all? Either way if you read enough about guns, ballistics etc. Most of these new wave calibers are all basically trying to copy a .270. Those are not my words but words I've read in print. So why not just get one? Although I would like to drink the juice and try a creedmor just for fun.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
i cant reccomend savage 110's enough. and if your in the market buy today. $100 mail in rebate through dec 2nd.
just picked up the 6mm manbun tactical desert heavy threaded barrel 26" 1-7.5 twist itll sling the berger 105's under H4350. Buds gun shop 569 minus 100 ill get it for slightly over $500 when its all said an done MSRP of $799.

FWIW savage 110"s are great guns and with the right guy behind the trigger will shoot 1moa out to 700 to say they shoot better than custom guns is beyond false. I have a custom built gun from nate dagley at SSG and itll make my savage look like grandpas old brush gun.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

ps i dont see your dilemma buy one, when you decide its not what you want buy another and another and another... haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75