Buying a new gun..Dilemma

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
as far as the pelt damage it really prolly depends on what type of bullet your loading. your gonna want one that doesn't retain as much weight blowing up inside so it doesn't cause an exit hole.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
1 lessdog, do you save fur?
As for building a hotrod, yep, drive em hard.
I've had 2 17-204s built. Unreal how well they kill coyotes and with a good bullet, how minimal the damage is. Lotsa times you can't even tell where you hit em.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had 2 17-204s built. Unreal how well they kill coyotes and with a good bullet, how minimal the damage is. Lotsa times you can't even tell where you hit em.

That sounds like a fun gun!
Love shooting varmints with my .17 rem VS.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I sell very few anymore. I dont hunt them like I use to. Use to shoot over 100 Fox a yr and up to 70 Coyotes a yr. Now Im lucky if I shoot 25 Coyotes a yr.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Before I spent 1900.00 on a Barrett I would buy a Remington 700 Action and have it printed and get a good barrel and have it chambered in the caliber a person wanted and only have less than 1000.00 into it. Buy a McMillian stock for 500.00 and you still have less than a barrett.

Barrett can be had for $1500-$1600. You'll get:

1. Chamber and mag-box confines properly mated
2. Most chamberings offering twist rates that allow one to use the "latest and greatest" high BC bullets with enough RPM that the next round of high-BC R&D will be useable as well.
3. An excellent fiberglass stock that's individually bedded to the bbl'd action.
4. Factory installed Timney Trigger.

Unless you already own the 700, you can't source the action, barrel, trigger, bottom-metal, 3.1" mag-box (Short action), have them assembled (including bedding the stock) and spend less $$ without doing at least some or most of the work yourself. Then factor in that the Barrett is going to be ~2# lighter than a 700 and it's a no-brainer.

I've been on 15 elk hunts and 1 mountainous Mule Deer hunt and certainly never wished for a rifle that was 2# heavier.............

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member

2. Most chamberings offering twist rates that allow one to use the "latest and greatest" high BC bullets with enough RPM that the next round of high-BC R&D will be useable as well.
3. An excellent fiberglass stock that's individually bedded to the bbl'd action.

Unless you already own the 700, you can't source the action, barrel, trigger, bottom-metal, 3.1" mag-box (Short action), have them assembled (including bedding the stock) and spend less $$ without doing at least some or most of the work yourself. Then factor in that the Barrett is going to be ~2# lighter than a 700 and it's a no-brainer.

I've been on 15 elk hunts and 1 mountainous Mule Deer hunt and certainly never wished for a rifle that was 2# heavier.............

20EC27DA-41CE-4C89-B203-FBF6C4E29FB1.jpeg

...and for the record, he doesn’t own a Barrett or a 6.5. Or any guns. Does it all with a hedge trimmer. I seent it myseff.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
55/75 and lessdog, I've also slacked off Abit while coyote hunting but prices are still REALLY good.
These 2 rifles have been paid for several times over.
The nice paler coyotes sans a bloodstain still trips my trigger:;:rockit

As for an answer to the OP' s question, not really.
I dought I'll ever do a custom again? May be kinda cool too say you " have one" but for 99% of guys, it really is not needed.
People tend to forget, anything over 300 yards is a long shot and in order too do that, you will need a rangefinder. Most of the bargain brand ones are not reliable on a critter that far unless it's on a sidehill.
And past 300 yards, wind comes into the equation just as much as distance.
Fun topic for sure but?
And the word " creedmoor" just pisses me off!!!!!;:;barf;:;barf

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
also have a Remington 783 22-250 with a cheap scope for about $350.00, it shoots just fine

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I was on the barrett website, know where does it say what brand of barrel. They have 10 calibers with the longest barrel being 24 inches on one md. The light ones have no bottom metal. If a person is happy with the calibers they offer then by all means go for it. I would rather have the caliber I want, the barrel I want, and twist rate I want. To me that makes a custom rifle.

Did you mean: how much does a remington 700 short action weight

[h=1]Search Results[/h][h=2]Featured snippet from the web[/h]2 lbs 7.5 oz

With the receiver, bolt, bottom metal, trigger, recoil lug and internal magazine it weighs 2 lbs 7.5 oz, take out the bolt and recoil lug and it's 1 lb 8.3 oz.

So a barrett action weighs 7.5 oz now thats pretty light as you said a 700 Remington weighs 2 lbs heavier

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on the barrett website, know where does it say what brand of barrel. They have 10 calibers with the longest barrel being 24 inches on one md. The light ones have no bottom metal. If a person is happy with the calibers they offer then by all means go for it. I would rather have the caliber I want, the barrel I want, and twist rate I want. To me that makes a custom rifle.

Did you mean: how much does a remington 700 short action weight

Search Results

Featured snippet from the web

2 lbs 7.5 oz

With the receiver, bolt, bottom metal, trigger, recoil lug and internal magazine it weighs 2 lbs 7.5 oz, take out the bolt and recoil lug and it's 1 lb 8.3 oz.

So a barrett action weighs 7.5 oz now thats pretty light as you said a 700 Remington weighs 2 lbs heavier

Barrett makes their own barrels.

The bulk of the weight savings of a Barrett vs. a 700 will come from the ability to use a bbl of significantly less external diameter. Even you use a "pencil bbl" on the order of a Rem mountain rifle taper, it's still going to have a much heavier shank to mate up to the 700's much larger diameter.

The Barrett stock is 18-20oz, if you're going to equal that with a 700, you're in Brown Precision "Pound'r" territory, that stock is ~$1100 bare or $1,500 installed. Even a McMillan Edge that's ~1/2 # heavier is going to run you ~$1K if you have McMillan install it.

Your 57MM case based wildcats would benefit from the short-actioned Barrett's 3.1" mag box as well.

I don't dislike the 700, I have several. I'm a big fan of the Kimber 84M/L series rifles as well. However, the FieldCraft is a rifle that's been better executed within their factory chambering offerings than any 700 or Kimber 84M/L.

If you try to build a 700 to FieldCraft type weights you're going to spend 2X the $$ before you're done. Slab the action, flute the bolt, new firing pin and shroud, new bolt handle, $1,500 stock, 8x40 scope base holes, Timney trigger, and given the bbl taper you'll have to use to make weight, it'll have to stay relatively short due to the meat you'll have in the shank and the lack of bbl diameter you'll need @ the muzzle, it'll get "whippy".

Full disclosure, I don't own any Barrett rifles. This isn't a "Buy one because I bought one" situation.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Rem 700 that weighs the same as [MENTION=428]Bed Wetter[/MENTION] fieldcraft. I also have about the same money into mine as his to get it that light too.

- - - Updated - - -

When I think I need another lightweight rifle, I’ll pull the trigger on a fieldcraft without hesitation.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love reading these threads.

Mostly because they remind me of how little I know about rifles. In large calibers, all I own are a S&W Model 1500 in 25-06, a Rem 700 in 7 mm Rem Mag, and a Tikka T3 in 243.

All perform their assigned missions just fine. I have no idea where I'd find the time to get into the finer points of guns like you gents. It's always a fun read though.

Iceman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would any of you guy buy a 22-250 even though you have a .223? I’m itching for one. Would be pretty much for coyotes. Or is there a better caliber to look at

Last edited:

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a handful of 223's and my 250 usually seems to be the one I grab for coyotes. About to trade one of my 223s for a 25-06 actually.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would any of you guy buy a 22-250 even though you have a .223? I’m itching for one. Would be pretty much for coyotes. Or is there a better caliber to look at

I would look at something in the 6mm variety if I had a 223 already

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would you recommend

heck there are a bunch the good old 243, 6mm rem, 6mm creedmoor or a bunch of other wildcats. Can load light bullets fast for yotes and god forbid and the world is coming to an end you can get heavy bullets for deer or zombies just have to shoot them in the eye so they don’t bounce off the deer haha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75