Walleye cheeks could be OFF the menu.....

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
If this is truly what they intend to display, and separate wings/cheeks from a common sense counting method, then the only remaining logical solution is to shut down the cleaning stations and put all of your fish on ice (a boon to the convenience stores).

Then you clean them at home and keep your remains in frozen plastic bags, which then stink up the neighborhood when dogs knock over the garbage cans for an afternoon delight!

If you're in my neighborhood, I'm okay with your dogs coming home with a fine stench by dinner time! #$%^&>

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I probably take about 80% of my fish home to clean anyways, but on those weekend trips to the big lake(s) is where I'd be at risk of running afoul of some rule reader. Not because I actually have more than my limit though.

I'm just against issuing tickets and fines to non-poachers.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
It should be as simple as no block freezing allowed. Flat freezing only.
Then I’ll be going to prison. I have a seasonal spot at the lake , so I clean my five with cheeks and wings. Depending on the size of fish I’ll end up with 3 quart bags that I fill with water and freeze in my camper. When I go home, ( if I remember), I’ll, sometimes have 6 to 8 bags of frozen fillets.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm just against issuing tickets and fines to non-poachers.
I agree with this 100%. It seems to be a trend in Law enforcement though, too turn perfectly good law abiding citizens into criminals. No different than DUI laws, first it was .10, now .08, now some states are going to .05 and all of the sudden I'm a criminal if i have a glass of wine with my steak and drive 5 blocks home.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Then I’ll be going to prison. I have a seasonal spot at the lake , so I clean my five with cheeks and wings. Depending on the size of fish I’ll end up with 3 quart bags that I fill with water and freeze in my camper. When I go home, ( if I remember), I’ll, sometimes have 6 to 8 bags of frozen fillets.
Transporting fish is transporting fish. If you get ticketed for packaging it that way, you have no gripe. Doesn't matter if you stay there all summer. Possession would fall into play also.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can see keeping the fillets whole but the cheeks is retarded. My 3 year old kid can pick out cheeks from a pile of fillets

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
New ND job openings across the state -- Fish Cleaning Station Supervisor
-must watch out closely for sconni's, but also abide by the 4th amendment (the latter is a biggie!)
-must have common sense and know how to show people how to use a grinder and how to clean up after themselves
-be able to tell people to gtfoh and go home to clean their fish if they're going to zip/debone or cut cheeks out of their fish

Only requirement is that you're older than the age of 3.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Transporting fish is transporting fish. If you get ticketed for packaging it that way, you have no gripe. Doesn't matter if you stay there all summer. Possession would fall into play also.
So what you are saying is you only have 10 fish in your freezer right now?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
-must watch out closely for sconni's, but also abide by the 4th amendment (the latter is a biggie!)
-must have common sense and know how to show people how to use a grinder and how to clean up after themselves
-be able to tell people to gtfoh and go home to clean their fish if they're going to zip/debone or cut cheeks out of their fish

Being 'Sconi is probable cause for G&F violations so no issue w/4th.

The cleaning station supervisor should be issued a yard-stick with which to "educate". You get the stick for:

1. Pushing more than 1 fish at a time into the grinder, 1 yard-stick finger-slap for every carcass over 1.
2. Starting the grinder without checking with/warning the others at the station
3. Stopping cleaning for pictures (take pics ahead of time)
4. Running your yap instead of your knife

If the durability of wooden yard-sticks becomes an issue, aluminum 1/2yd sticks may be substituted.

- - - Updated - - -

I did always find it really odd that there even was a possession limit, yet you had cleaning stations at popular boat ramps. How the heck do you prove possession, let alone species, when everything is cleaned on site?

It doesn't take a CSI detective to discern fish species by fillet shape and flake size. It also doesn't take much to be able to discern day-old (or older) fillets from "catch of the day".

- - - Updated - - -

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by wslayer

So what you are saying is you only have 10 fish in your freezer right now?

Possession limit only counts until you get to your PERMANENT PLACE OF RESIDENCE. Lake cabins/campers aren't that.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is how SD has been for as long as I can remember. No block freezing and two fillets = 1 fish. I don't even think about cheeks or otherwise because of it. If I screw up a fish while cleaning I am careful to only end up with two pieces for that fish. Surely some ends up in the grinder because of it. I get the intention of it but question the logic. You should be able to tell but it will leave the door open to interpretation. I would guess you'll have a hard time fighting it but who knows.

emerald

Established Member
just saw on gf website, no shit, cant make this sh--t up, cheeks tags, must accompany cheeks to final consumption destiny, cheeks are defined as tight cheeks,sweet cheeks,nice cheeks, sweaty cheeks,, etc.etc.non- compliance,[over cheeking] could result in revocation of the one thing you love to do,[and dont forget, we can pinch you ass] [cheeks] anytime, for fishing, and being over fond of your cheeks,this is not your granpappys fishing proclamation anymore dude.

stinkbait

Founding Member
Founding Member

Can I be the first to apply for "cleaning station" supervisor job?��

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Business Opportunity. Mobile cheek fryer, camp out upwind of cleaning station.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The frozen blocks aren't applicable here. I don't see any leos or wardens taking the time to thaw blocks of fish. If they do and still cant tell the parts of a single fish, we need new leos and wardens.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't read anything after 1st post.......Just another really good excuse to CLEAN YOUR FISH AT HOME!!

- - - Updated - - -

I would have 3 or 4 fish cleaned by the time he did 1 wing! Good way too stretch a slim catch into a meal tho.

- - - Updated - - -

Every walleye fillet i cut is into 3 pieces. Tail, back and the belly sans rib bones. Add in a cheek and wing every so often and you can call me a fucking fugitive if this passes. I could maybe be convinced to keep my fillets whole. But, I will take my chances before i start leaving nice cheeks and wings.

I cut each Fillet into two pieces. In fact, It's how I clean them when I remove the skin. I hardly ever save the bellies, only if trying to stretch a short catch into a meal. Just the tail and backstrap, pretty easy to put back together.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76