Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 11,323
      Given: 3,439

Walleye cheeks could be OFF the menu.....

Just read this from the minot paper concerning proposed changes to the fishing regs........

Power told the gathering about new rules for cleaning and transporting fish. The proposed new regulation, said Power, was that “any two pieces of fish would be counted as one fish.” The reason for that, he said, was that game wardens were encountering some instances of confusion when checking fishermen with cleaned fish, especially when the fish was cut into several pieces.
      An example, said Power, is “Two walleye cheeks is one fish and a northern pike backstrap is one fish.”
      Walleye are a fish easily cleaned with one fillet from each side, which would equal one fish. However, if an angler removes the meat from the cheeks, considered by many to be a delicacy, one fish would then be counted as two against the daily limit.
      A common method for cleaning northern pike is to remove the backstrap, take fillets from both sides, sometimes the fillets from inside the y-bones as well, and boneless pieces from each side of the tail section. That cleaning method results in seven pieces of fish which, under the proposed cleaning and transport rule, would count as four fish against a five fish limit.
      “You’ll need to finish fish off at home,” said Power.

I'm just not ready to respond to this yet........I'm still trying to make sure I read this right........Enjoy!

0 Not allowed!

2. Back To Top    #2
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 8,883
      Given: 7,304
      Lame

1 Not allowed!

3. Back To Top    #3
      Silver Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 106
      Given: 5
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post
      Just read this from the minot paper concerning proposed changes to the fishing regs........

Power told the gathering about new rules for cleaning and transporting fish. The proposed new regulation, said Power, was that “any two pieces of fish would be counted as one fish.” The reason for that, he said, was that game wardens were encountering some instances of confusion when checking fishermen with cleaned fish, especially when the fish was cut into several pieces.
      An example, said Power, is “Two walleye cheeks is one fish and a northern pike backstrap is one fish.”
      Walleye are a fish easily cleaned with one fillet from each side, which would equal one fish. However, if an angler removes the meat from the cheeks, considered by many to be a delicacy, one fish would then be counted as two against the daily limit.
      A common method for cleaning northern pike is to remove the backstrap, take fillets from both sides, sometimes the fillets from inside the y-bones as well, and boneless pieces from each side of the tail section. That cleaning method results in seven pieces of fish which, under the proposed cleaning and transport rule, would count as four fish against a five fish limit.

I'm just not ready to respond to this yet........I'm still trying to make sure I read this right........Enjoy!
      I read that also, but wondered where the game warden would encounter fishermen to check their catch except on the water or at the ramp or cleaning station? At either place he could check the catch prior to the fish being cleaned.

0 Not allowed!

4. Back To Top    #4
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 696
      Given: 487
      Classifieds
      So I guess they are just going to close all the cleaning stations then? No reason to have them if you can’t actually clean the fish. I don’t know know why they want force wanton waste but they haven’t thought this through at all.

2 Not allowed!
      I don't have to out run the bear. I just have to out run you.

The 6.5 Creedmoor won’t make you a better hunter.

5. Back To Top    #5
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      Innocent

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,852
      Given: 412
      Good, less time waiting at the cleaning station for all the knuckleheads spending twice as long as they should taking cheeks and wings.

2 Not allowed!
      Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.

6. Back To Top    #6
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In flux

Mood:
      Enraged

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,175
      Given: 5,622
      Didn’t know anything other than the cheeks was edible. Learn something new every day.

10 Not allowed!
      If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

“Wentz won't win one much less 5 or six.” -Kurtr, 1/21/18

7. Back To Top    #7
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,874
      Given: 225
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by KDM View Post

#CopyMN

1 Not allowed!
      I can explain it for you, but I can’t understand it for you.

8. Back To Top    #8
      VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,274
      Given: 680
      Quote Originally Posted by sl1000794 View Post
      I read that also, but wondered where the game warden would encounter fishermen to check their catch except on the water or at the ramp or cleaning station? At either place he could check the catch prior to the fish being cleaned.
      You'd be surprised by how many out of state fishermen get pulled over by an HP or Deputy leaving DL or Sak.

Officer: "How was fishing"
      Fisherman: "Real good"
      Officer: "Mind if I take a look at your take?"
      Fisherman: "Sure" (thinking since he's not a GF warden it's no big deal)

The officer will find piles of cleaned frozen fish and then call a warden. Pretty common scenario for law enforcement and G & F officers to work together.

1 Not allowed!

9. Back To Top    #9
      Premium Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 314
      Given: 226
      What's the big deal about getting pulled over. If you screwed up you have it coming.

2 Not allowed!

10. Back To Top    #10
      Gold Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 129
      Given: 809
      No worries continue as normal just tell them you are a sconi and they will let you go scott free!!!!

2 Not allowed!

11. Back To Top    #11
      Premium Member
      Somewhere on a beach

Mood:
      Piratey

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 713
      Given: 1,528
      Classifieds
      mainly just sounds like some premature walleye zipping and possibly chunking the fatter side into smaller pieces to me hoping they won't get stopped on the way home. Just guys not abiding by all the proper transfer laws is all it sounds like to me, water under the bridge to me personally but I don't see any major harm tightening it up for the aliens coming and going from miles and miles.. Seems like pretty simple logic to me I guess.

1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by Rut2much; 12-01-2019 at 07:23 PM.

12. Back To Top    #12
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,310
      Given: 2,659
      I don’t see an issue. Two fillets in a bag equaling one fish. Put a pair of cheeks in with those fillets and if a warden can’t distinguish cheeks from the fillets he’s in the wrong business.

11 Not allowed!

13. Back To Top    #13
      Silver Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 11
      Given: 0
      BA HUM BUG, huge fines now for sota , cheese head, game peccariesName:  s-l200.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  10.3 KB

0 Not allowed!

14. Back To Top    #14
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      WTF!?

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,736
      Given: 7,797
      I'm with eyexer on this one. I keep the cheeks on anything over 18" and the wings from everything. Make the rule that the fillet needs to be kept whole and put a wing, 2 cheeks and 2 whole fillets in a bag and each bag is only allowed to have 1 fish in it, not frozen until you get home. For those complaining about taking to long at the cleaning station, when you start building them with your own money, then you can complain but until then take your fish home if you are in that big of a hurry.

1 Not allowed!

15. Back To Top    #15
      Silver Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 11
      Given: 0
      thorny, you smell that, yeah,what do you smell? thats the smell of cheeks.

0 Not allowed!

16. Back To Top    #16
      Silver Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 106
      Given: 5
      Originally Posted by sl1000794

Quote Originally Posted by ndwalleyes View Post
      You'd be surprised by how many out of state fishermen get pulled over by an HP or Deputy leaving DL or Sak.

Officer: "How was fishing"
      Fisherman: "Real good"
      Officer: "Mind if I take a look at your take?"
      Fisherman: "Sure" (thinking since he's not a GF warden it's no big deal)

The officer will find piles of cleaned frozen fish and then call a warden. Pretty common scenario for law enforcement and G & F officers to work together.
      That's just wrong. Believe me I'm not condoning over limits or anything, but what is the "probable cause" for being pulled over by a highway patrol officer. Pulling a boat trailer - not going to happen. Nothing illegal about that regardless what plates are on it! And if the Fisherman replies: "No I'm under deadline to get home and don't have time" what can the officer do then? No probable cause and no permission to search. Seems pretty simple to me.

Never heard of it here in CA during the 2 big seasons ... salmon and crab. If the Game Wardens want to check fishermen's catch they can check WAY more fishermen at the ramps than they can check on the highway from highway patrol officers calling them away from the ramps. Ramps are the ONLY place that I have been checked for catch.

ps: I've only been fishing for 60+ years but I have never caught a fish with wings. I'm missing something I think???

0 Not allowed!
      Last edited by sl1000794; 12-01-2019 at 09:16 PM.

17. Back To Top    #17
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      WTF!?

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,736
      Given: 7,797

2 Not allowed!

18. Back To Top    #18
      Premium Member
      Somewhere on a beach

Mood:
      Piratey

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 713
      Given: 1,528
      Classifieds
      Quote Originally Posted by sl1000794 View Post

ps: I've only been fishing for 60+ years but I have never caught a fish with wings. I'm missing something I think???

0 Not allowed!

19. Back To Top    #19
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,606
      Given: 1,478
      Every walleye fillet i cut is into 3 pieces. Tail, back and the belly sans rib bones. Add in a cheek and wing every so often and you can call me a fucking fugitive if this passes. I could maybe be convinced to keep my fillets whole. But, I will take my chances before i start leaving nice cheeks and wings.

0 Not allowed!

20. Back To Top    #20
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status

Mood:
      ----

NDA Points
      NDA Level
      Report Entries
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,200
      Given: 1,238
      Fucking stupid If we are hiring wardens who can't figure out how many cheeks/filets/fins it takes to to equal a fish, we need to do a better job of screening applicants.

7 Not allowed!
      "Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." Mark Twain, speaking on Congress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast