Walleye cheeks could be OFF the menu.....

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just read this from the minot paper concerning proposed changes to the fishing regs........

Power told the gathering about new rules for cleaning and transporting fish. The proposed new regulation, said Power, was that “any two pieces of fish would be counted as one fish.” The reason for that, he said, was that game wardens were encountering some instances of confusion when checking fishermen with cleaned fish, especially when the fish was cut into several pieces.
An example, said Power, is “Two walleye cheeks is one fish and a northern pike backstrap is one fish.”
Walleye are a fish easily cleaned with one fillet from each side, which would equal one fish. However, if an angler removes the meat from the cheeks, considered by many to be a delicacy, one fish would then be counted as two against the daily limit.
A common method for cleaning northern pike is to remove the backstrap, take fillets from both sides, sometimes the fillets from inside the y-bones as well, and boneless pieces from each side of the tail section. That cleaning method results in seven pieces of fish which, under the proposed cleaning and transport rule, would count as four fish against a five fish limit.
“You’ll need to finish fish off at home,” said Power.

I'm just not ready to respond to this yet........I'm still trying to make sure I read this right........Enjoy!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just read this from the minot paper concerning proposed changes to the fishing regs........

Power told the gathering about new rules for cleaning and transporting fish. The proposed new regulation, said Power, was that “any two pieces of fish would be counted as one fish.” The reason for that, he said, was that game wardens were encountering some instances of confusion when checking fishermen with cleaned fish, especially when the fish was cut into several pieces.
An example, said Power, is “Two walleye cheeks is one fish and a northern pike backstrap is one fish.”
Walleye are a fish easily cleaned with one fillet from each side, which would equal one fish. However, if an angler removes the meat from the cheeks, considered by many to be a delicacy, one fish would then be counted as two against the daily limit.
A common method for cleaning northern pike is to remove the backstrap, take fillets from both sides, sometimes the fillets from inside the y-bones as well, and boneless pieces from each side of the tail section. That cleaning method results in seven pieces of fish which, under the proposed cleaning and transport rule, would count as four fish against a five fish limit.

I'm just not ready to respond to this yet........I'm still trying to make sure I read this right........Enjoy!

I read that also, but wondered where the game warden would encounter fishermen to check their catch except on the water or at the ramp or cleaning station? At either place he could check the catch prior to the fish being cleaned.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So I guess they are just going to close all the cleaning stations then? No reason to have them if you can’t actually clean the fish. I don’t know know why they want force wanton waste but they haven’t thought this through at all.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good, less time waiting at the cleaning station for all the knuckleheads spending twice as long as they should taking cheeks and wings. :;:duel

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Didn’t know anything other than the cheeks was edible. Learn something new every day.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

#CopyMN

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read that also, but wondered where the game warden would encounter fishermen to check their catch except on the water or at the ramp or cleaning station? At either place he could check the catch prior to the fish being cleaned.

You'd be surprised by how many out of state fishermen get pulled over by an HP or Deputy leaving DL or Sak.

Officer: "How was fishing"
Fisherman: "Real good"
Officer: "Mind if I take a look at your take?"
Fisherman: "Sure" (thinking since he's not a GF warden it's no big deal)

The officer will find piles of cleaned frozen fish and then call a warden. Pretty common scenario for law enforcement and G & F officers to work together.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's the big deal about getting pulled over. If you screwed up you have it coming.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
No worries continue as normal just tell them you are a sconi and they will let you go scott free!!!!;:;popcorn

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
mainly just sounds like some premature walleye zipping and possibly chunking the fatter side into smaller pieces to me hoping they won't get stopped on the way home. Just guys not abiding by all the proper transfer laws is all it sounds like to me, water under the bridge to me personally but I don't see any major harm tightening it up for the aliens coming and going from miles and miles.. Seems like pretty simple logic to me I guess.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t see an issue. Two fillets in a bag equaling one fish. Put a pair of cheeks in with those fillets and if a warden can’t distinguish cheeks from the fillets he’s in the wrong business.

emerald

Established Member
BA HUM BUG, huge fines now for sota , cheese head, game peccaries s-l200.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm with eyexer on this one. I keep the cheeks on anything over 18" and the wings from everything. Make the rule that the fillet needs to be kept whole and put a wing, 2 cheeks and 2 whole fillets in a bag and each bag is only allowed to have 1 fish in it, not frozen until you get home. For those complaining about taking to long at the cleaning station, when you start building them with your own money, then you can complain but until then take your fish home if you are in that big of a hurry. ::boxing:: :;:muahaha

emerald

Established Member
thorny, you smell that, yeah,what do you smell? thats the smell of cheeks.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php
Originally Posted by sl1000794

You'd be surprised by how many out of state fishermen get pulled over by an HP or Deputy leaving DL or Sak.

Officer: "How was fishing"
Fisherman: "Real good"
Officer: "Mind if I take a look at your take?"
Fisherman: "Sure" (thinking since he's not a GF warden it's no big deal)

The officer will find piles of cleaned frozen fish and then call a warden. Pretty common scenario for law enforcement and G & F officers to work together.

That's just wrong. Believe me I'm not condoning over limits or anything, but what is the "probable cause" for being pulled over by a highway patrol officer. Pulling a boat trailer - not going to happen. Nothing illegal about that regardless what plates are on it! And if the Fisherman replies: "No I'm under deadline to get home and don't have time" what can the officer do then? No probable cause and no permission to search. Seems pretty simple to me.

Never heard of it here in CA during the 2 big seasons ... salmon and crab. If the Game Wardens want to check fishermen's catch they can check WAY more fishermen at the ramps than they can check on the highway from highway patrol officers calling them away from the ramps. Ramps are the ONLY place that I have been checked for catch.

ps: I've only been fishing for 60+ years but I have never caught a fish with wings. I'm missing something I think???

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every walleye fillet i cut is into 3 pieces. Tail, back and the belly sans rib bones. Add in a cheek and wing every so often and you can call me a fucking fugitive if this passes. I could maybe be convinced to keep my fillets whole. But, I will take my chances before i start leaving nice cheeks and wings.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fucking stupid If we are hiring wardens who can't figure out how many cheeks/filets/fins it takes to to equal a fish, we need to do a better job of screening applicants.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74