pickup chains

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody use them? With the recent snowfall, trapline sucks. Looking for an alternative to buying a tracked machine.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't had to use mine much, but they are a life saver when you need them. Whatever you do though, don't buy the cheap ones. A good v-bar or square link will last many years. The CAM link for adjusting tension is also a must. I ordered mine from Six Robbleys in Billings, MT. Their website isn't all that great, so you'll likely have to call.

Make sure you check for clearance in the front before you order chains for all 4 tires. A lot of the newer trucks don't have much room in the front, so you may only be able to run them in the rear.

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used them many times elk hunting, they work awesome. Got mine from Les Schwab tires in Helena MT. Cam locks, easy to put on & take off

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
some vehicle/tire combos don't allow chains - not enough clearance

like my POS tire/vehicle combo (stupid low profile tires)

- - - Updated - - -

(oops - just read ndbh's post)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good Info so far! If you get'em, buy twice the number of bungee cords that you think you might need. You will lose some occasionally and having chains come loose WILL damage something you don't want damaged. Good Luck!!

onpoint!

Established Member
good idea on the extra bungees.. i have chains on my f250 with the boss plow; got them at NW Tire, nice and tight with the cams.
Like the traction, hate the operating speed over the road (20-25 max). i don't need to drive this rig to fishing spots, have UTV/Sled for that, but if i HAD to use chains on the ice to get to a spot, i think i'd forfeit the fishing trip. they are not quick-attach IMO and i wouldn't install at the access point. but they are hands-down worth every penny when the road goes to crap!

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
do you know which brand you have?

I've used them many times elk hunting, they work awesome. Got mine from Les Schwab tires in Helena MT. Cam locks, easy to put on & take off

325 WSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to say they're Link Fit with the cam lock, but I got them quite a few years ago so that's not for certain. I use them on an 08 Mega Cab 2500 & they're awesome

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have an old rig that you are putting them on and leaving them on for the season like we used to do back in the day on the farm, deflate the tires and then install the chains snug, then air the tires back up. They are tight and as KDM said don't forget the bungee straps.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Biggest thing with chains is, keep them tight with bungee cords, keep several extra ones you will lose a few and drive SLOWLY and you will have a good snow machine, even a 2 wheel drive will go through a lot of snow

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
some vehicle/tire combos don't allow chains - not enough clearance

like my POS tire/vehicle combo (stupid low profile tires

(oops - just read ndbh's post)

What size tires on what model vehicle? I used cable chains on the rear of my Ram 1500 while deer hunting in the breaks.. PITA to install but worked well. Tuesday of the first week the trails iced up really bad and we had many steep inclines to navigate, especially while retrieving deer. Never tried putting them on the front so don't know if there is a clearance issue or not.

ndweimer

Founding Member
Founding Member
ordered some Titan chains with cams today. Will update everyone later on how far I traveled before calling in a tractor, to pull my ass out.;:;badidea

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74