SWFA Scopes

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone use these scopes? I've heard some great things about them on other forums, but I'm a bit hesitant to buy one without being able to look through it first. I'm curious how the glass compares between the standard line and the HD version.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 3-15 inbound, but I will have to send it right back because I'm a dumbass and ordered the MOA scope instead of Mils.
Be a while before I can get it mounted and tested.
I'm not expecting top tier glass in their classic line of scopes, but I am expecting sufficient glass for my needs... Their HD scopes are pretty nice glass though. My brother has one. If the 3-9 power works for you I would get one ordered before the sale ends.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 3-15 inbound, but I will have to send it right back because I'm a dumbass and ordered the MOA scope instead of Mils.
Be a while before I can get it mounted and tested.
I'm not expecting top tier glass in their classic line of scopes, but I am expecting sufficient glass for my needs... Their HD scopes are pretty nice glass though. My brother has one. If the 3-9 power works for you I would get one ordered before the sale ends.

I'm torn between the 3-15 classic and the 5-20 HD. The 3-15 is $300 off right now, so I guess I could always turn around and sell it if it doesn't do what I want. My main concern with the classic is the glass quality in low light conditions in hunting scenarios.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Glass is more than good enough and the important part the internals are proven reliable. Even back in the day my cheap ass Bushnell could still see well past shooting hours.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend has a fixed 6x and a 10x. Both are very nice and track well. He had a 3-9 for a short while as well. I shot with the 3-9 for one range session and didn't like it, IMO it had too much parallax.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just found a few well written reviews, so I think I'll get one ordered tonight. I'd really like to try the 5-20 HD with the illuminated reticle, but even with the sale I can't spend that kind of money right now.

sbe2

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have ran the 6x, 3-15, and 3-9. The glass on the 3-9 was the best of the bunch but all of them had good enough glass to to shoot at any time of the day that i needed to. The tracking in my experience has been dead nuts and the fixed 6x and fixed 10x are a steal at $200

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just found a few well written reviews, so I think I'll get one ordered tonight. I'd really like to try the 5-20 HD with the illuminated reticle, but even with the sale I can't spend that kind of money right now.

I will mention to my brother. He is likely going to be trying to sell the rifle that the 5-20 scope is on, and possibly looking to get rid of the scope too.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend has a fixed 6x and a 10x. Both are very nice and track well. He had a 3-9 for a short while as well. I shot with the 3-9 for one range session and didn't like it, IMO it had too much parallax.

Since I know you shoot a lot and keep up on the minutia of marksmanship a heck of a lot better than I do, I am curious as to what is too much parallax for you? I thought most scopes were sub an inch (or so) in parallax up to about 500 yds. Am I wrong, again?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I know you shoot a lot and keep up on the minutia of marksmanship a heck of a lot better than I do, I am curious as to what is too much parallax for you? I thought most scopes were sub an inch (or so) in parallax up to about 500 yds. Am I wrong, again?

It was subjective. I didn't measure it, just noticed it often and didn't like it.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
It was subjective. I didn't measure it, just noticed it often and didn't like it.

Still just curious here, but are you a fan of scopes with parallax adjustments for range? I've never tried one in the field even though I know they make them, for a price.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still just curious here, but are you a fan of scopes with parallax adjustments for range? I've never tried one in the field even though I know they make them, for a price.

The range on the scope is a suggestion they never seem to match perfectly. I can tell when parallax is off the picture has a slight blur to it and when you move on the scope you can see reticle move. There has to be a way to adjust it out as your power gets higher thats why you dont see it on 3-9 scopes like you do the 6-24 and such. Guys who shoot air guns really get picky they want it to adjust down to 10 yds.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ordered the 3-15 last night. Deals are still going today if anyone is looking. Now I just need to start reading up on Mils....Any good resources for learning the Mil system?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Short answer, yes, I’m a fan of parallax adjustments. Longer answer, some scopes seem to present more parallax than others do despite being the same power. I’ve never really cared for any Nikon, Burris, or B&L/Bushnell Elite 3-9’s because IMO they all had too much discernible parallax. I’ve got several Leupold 4-12’s without parallax adjustments that are fine though. I recently sold a 2.5-10 Leica scope for the same reason, too much parallax. 4.5-14 Leupold without parallax adjustments sucks balls.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79