Granddaughter

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Three years ago my granddaughter turned 15 so off we went with the youth permit and a mule deer. Spend 6 days scouting by Manning (ranchers out there are great to work with) and finally on the six day found 5 bucks and the rest was history. 150 class mule deer.

So now has not gotten a rifle tag so bought her a youth Bear bow.
She did her practice all summer and last Friday came to our home.
Friday night only a doe and her two fawns came by.
Saturday night a couple of deer including a fork buck. No
Sunday night by 5, no deer, I said I need to put a new camera up so lets do that and then go home and try another day.
We were in thick brush and as I was to get ready to go seen a deer coming. Soon seen it was decent buck to shoot. So I video and she pulls up the bow, about 25 yards and it seem like she had that bow back for two minutes, I hear her whisper but what if I miss, I say shoot, she shoots and by the nock light it appears to hit in the front leg. Deer runs and can still see the light in the trees.
Her statement then was I mess this up.

I say what must of been the wrong thing as she said no grandpa, I mess it up and the tears came.
She again says I mess it up for all of us and now what, I say lets put the camera up and see if there is any blood. There was blood at the shot site and on the ground for the next 30 yards, I say we need to get out of here, watch the film on the tv, send a copy to my son to see what he thinks, she says this deer will not die and again she is down on herself. Son says there is dead buck out there (she now picks up) and he will be home shortly. Then calls and says we need to wait until morning.
Next morning son comes and the two of them track the blood and now, 25 minutes into the tracking, that hunt is history. Five pointer with the g3 broken on one side but a buck of 120 class. All on tape including her tears ( I hid mine in the dark of the stand).
And for me this is what makes life good.
db

Last edited:

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
Way to go Db-2 and congratulations to the young huntress. OHH the Joy of sharing the experience.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What also surprise me somewhat was her talk of the meat and that was as important to her as the horns. The horns where what God gave us that night. Son does not gut deer any more. Cuts backstraps out, four guarters and maybe some more meat and the head. About 20-30 minutes if the knife is sharp and we haul the meat out. Works a lot easier to do this. She help and I guess there will be meat to eat this weekend at her house. Now I am a beef eater and I do not eat wild game so somehow I got to somehow get the deer meat down. db

bilbo

Honored Member
That's an excellent story, glad she found her buck! I was able to take my son (he's 10) pheasant hunting last week and we weren't seeing much for roosters. I could tell he was getting a bit bored and discouraged. He sure perked up once we got one!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ahh man, as a father to three young girls, I can't approve enough, of this. Great job, great story, and the girl seems well on her way to being a great person. Good for you all!

Jaykay

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, great story. I enjoy reading these and also have been able to share similar experiences with my own daughters. From the lows to the highs and everything in between is what makes it.

Kasey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent story db. Doesn't get any better than this. Definitely a memory to cherish!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Congrats DB and to your Granddaughter too. She sounds like a cool kid with a good head on her shoulders and a big heart. Takes after her Grandpa!!!!
Watching these kids get their game is one of the highlights of our lives. Doesn't have to be our kids either. Seeing their big smiles and they are on cloud 9 all giddy as can be. Priceless!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74