DIY European Mount

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got this one back from Jeff Schwartz in Wahpeton yesterday. Euros make the antlers look a lot bigger, like when you shave your junk. Or so I’m told.

13923A64-FC0F-45A6-8B75-BD55156C043C.jpg

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't understand the "hard boil" v "simmer" talk. Boiling water is boiling water and never gets much above 212 whether its a hard boil, rolling boil or simmer does it? As such, a boil is a boil. Get it there and keep it there long enough to break shit down so it is easily removed.

I have done quite a few euros over the years and yes a boil or simmer will get the job done. But if you have your skull in a rolling boil for a long period of time teeth can start to pop out and the nasal bones will fall out. Nothing a little super glue cant fix. As KDM stated boiling also seems to stain the skull. Simmering seems to work much better in my experiences, teeth and bones stay put, and meat/cartilage seems easier to remove. Do you hard boil a pot roast to get it tender or simmer it lol.

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have done quite a few euros over the years and yes a boil or simmer will get the job done. But if you have your skull in a rolling boil for a long period of time teeth can start to pop out and the nasal bones will fall out. Nothing a little super glue cant fix. As kdm stated boiling also seems to stain the skull. Simmering seems to work much better in my experiences, teeth and bones stay put, and meat/cartilage seems easier to remove. Do you hard boil a pot roast to get it tender or simmer it lol.

bingo

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let me guess....green colored dish soap, ie Dawn. The blackish color is probably the green dye used in the dish soap. We use the clearest dish soap we can get. Usually an off brand. Then, DON'T boil the water if you can help it. Boiling tends to make the soup of soap, fat, lipids, blood, and whatever is in the water, stain the bone. I think it causes the fats, blood, and lipids in the skull to "cook" into the bone instead of emulsify and come out of the bone and into the water. We keep the water at around 190-200 tops when the skulls come out of the beetles. Hope this helps.

yep, green soap from the kitchen, will try another

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just finished this years buck:
2FD6BBFA-FE9E-4EA3-AFD2-76507B7CBF86.jpg

I tried a couple of different simmering method but the job was ultimately done best by this kit: https://www.melbyoutdoors.com/product-page/european-skull-whitening-kit

I’m pretty pleased how it turned out considering it was my first try. I sold the cape for $30 so I guess buying the kit was a wash but this takes a lot of time. You’re gonna burn a day or two that could be used doing something else which is the biggest cost.

8A401F77-17BE-4923-A57D-F798F8013678.jpg

The WT on the left was done by boiling that I paid to have done. Looks good but kinda sloppy. The guy cut some bone in the back of the skull which makes it difficult to hang with the skull hooker. The muley was done by beetles and looks the best. And you get all the little nasal bones, etc. In my opinion, doing one yourself is something you do once to say you did it and the rest you pay to have done. They’ll likely do a better job and you don’t have to burn fishing and hunting time to do it.

ECED3243-FFA1-45E6-9B76-B1A99A701B96.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82