Hundreds of Yellowstone bison to be culled this winter

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder where and when a guy signs up?? :;:huh

BOZEMAN, Mont. (AP) --
National park officials in Wyoming have announced plans for the selective slaughter of between 600 and 900 Yellowstone bison this winter to help manage population numbers.
The Bozeman Daily Chronicle reported Tuesday that the officials expect most of the animals to be taken by hunters or shipped to slaughter. Some would stay alive in corrals or under park quarantine.
Officials say the exact number of bison expected to be culled out of the estimated 4,900 depends on the winter migration.
State, federal and tribal agencies managing bison say the winter plan was finalized Tuesday under the Interagency Bison Management Plan, a day after a judge rejected an attempt to block bison hunts this year.
Officials say the plan includes putting 110 bison into brucellosis quarantine to produce disease-free bison.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just imagine getting to take down a bison in Jellystone with your 6.5 Creedmoor...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just imagine getting to take down a bison in Jellystone with your 6.5 Creedmoor...
I know a couple guys that have drawn Bison tags by Yellowstone. Pretty cool hunt but can take many days to find one off the park.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know a couple guys that have drawn Bison tags by Yellowstone. Pretty cool hunt but can take many days to find one off the park.

I’ve long sworn that I’d never pay for a hunt, but I’d make an exception for a free range, non-farm bison. Breaks my heart that 150 years ago they covered the plains and now they’re all but a novel, imagined creature of lore.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barely more than a combo tag for you nonres types

2D120C9A-2429-4862-9C22-9703B1A90022.jpg

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'll relate a story passed on to me by a colleague that involves both bison and our beloved 243:

"My brother in law purchased a buffalo from a ranch in his area. The rancher invited him out to choose his buffalo and shoot it himself. So he shoots this buffalo with a 243, which is a pretty big gun (his words, not mine but;)), and this thing comes charging at the pickup and crashes into the box. They were almost thrown out."

I had a little trouble not laughing at his story, because while the 243 is fine for deer (or is it), probably not the best round to drop a buffalo.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

It would bounce off them,

- - - Updated - - -

I'll relate a story passed on to me by a colleague that involves both bison and our beloved 243:

"My brother in law purchased a buffalo from a ranch in his area. The rancher invited him out to choose his buffalo and shoot it himself. So he shoots this buffalo with a 243, which is a pretty big gun (his words, not mine but;)), and this thing comes charging at the pickup and crashes into the box. They were almost thrown out."

I had a little trouble not laughing at his story, because while the 243 is fine for deer (or is it), probably not the best round to drop a buffalo.

I have shot many Buffalo, (I shot not hunted ). All on a ranches and for meat. Keep in mind I was in a loader tractor 10 ft in the air. Everyone was shot with a 25-06 with Barnes X solid copper bullets. I would imagine lines drawn from horn to the eye to form a X. And they would just drop right there. No messing with a wounded bull.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have shot many Buffalo, (I shot not hunted ). All on a ranches and for meat. Keep in mind I was in a loader tractor 10 ft in the air. Everyone was shot with a 25-06 with Barnes X solid copper bullets. I would imagine lines drawn from horn to the eye to form a X. And they would just drop right there. No messing with a wounded bull.[/QUOTE]

When we would butcher critters we always made an X with the ears to the eyes. Dropped them like a hot potato. Didn't matter how big or what kind of critter it was. Did the same with the 4 moose i have shot.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that a bullet between the blinkers doesn't help the look of a euro mount. We've had a couple guys bring us buffalo heads to get euro'd and the skulls are cracked and busted up due to bullet holes. We can't fix a bullet hole to the forehead or smashed bone. We've tried it an whatever material we've tried (POP, Glues, Epoxy, etc.) keeps falling out or separating from the bone as the bone or plug dries/expands. A perfect round hole in the forehead is noticeable even on a head the size of a buff. Just food for thought. Carry on!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve long sworn that I’d never pay for a hunt, but I’d make an exception for a free range, non-farm bison. Breaks my heart that 150 years ago they covered the plains and now they’re all but a novel, imagined creature of lore.

said the guy who fights an endless battle with lawn gophers

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't mind getting into raising buffalo. One of my mom's husbands and I were going to start a beefalo ranch. But then my mom divorced him. Things got nasty...shame!

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Tag isn’t too bad but drawing it is tough. They guys I know hired a guide to haul it out after shooting it. If you don’t have your own horses I don’t know how you would get it out.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that a bullet between the blinkers doesn't help the look of a euro mount. We've had a couple guys bring us buffalo heads to get euro'd and the skulls are cracked and busted up due to bullet holes. We can't fix a bullet hole to the forehead or smashed bone. We've tried it an whatever material we've tried (POP, Glues, Epoxy, etc.) keeps falling out or separating from the bone as the bone or plug dries/expands. A perfect round hole in the forehead is noticeable even on a head the size of a buff. Just food for thought. Carry on!!
For as much as you pay for a Bison you would think the guy would want a euro and a nice tanned hide. I don’t know why shooting it in the head would make any sense!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
dumb question but if too many buffalo, why isn't there a way to round some up and relocate to another region? A few were released in the badland region of SD. I guess we don't dare have too much wildlife around do we.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For as much as you pay for a Bison you would think the guy would want a euro and a nice tanned hide. I don’t know why shooting it in the head would make any sense!

The solid style bullet would pop a hole in the skull almost as precisely round as a drill-bit. I think a buffalo skull with a hole looks fantastic.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
OR they could just transplant more wuffs and let them take care of it.....;:;popcorn

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74