Hundreds of Yellowstone bison to be culled this winter

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Stock trailer loads full of Mtn Kittys need new homes as well

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Stock trailer loads full of Mtn Kittys need new homes as well
They are too busy eating all the dumb mule deer.

- - - Updated - - -

dumb question but if too many buffalo, why isn't there a way to round some up and relocate to another region? A few were released in the badland region of SD. I guess we don't dare have too much wildlife around do we.

They relocate some of them to reservations but I think there are more to cull than they can relocate.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The solid style bullet would pop a hole in the skull almost as precisely round as a drill-bit. I think a buffalo skull with a hole looks fantastic.

Assuming the shot is head on and perpendicular to the skull plate and goes UNDER the back of the skull. Solids to a fabulous job of smashing skull plates apart when shot at an angle or when they hit the back of the skull after going through the front. I HATE TETRIS BTW!

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I seen a Bull shot with a 30-06 180 gr Nosler Partition. The head was down to far and turned slightly away and the bullet went off the front of the skull thru the eye socket and into a Cow's hindquarter. And it didnt kill it. We ended up shooting 2 animals that day. Them big Bulls have some heavy skull plates. I sat in the bucket of the loader for over a hr waiting for a good shot. Now we were in a pasture with over 100 animals, so you really have to pick your shots

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
dumb question but if too many buffalo, why isn't there a way to round some up and relocate to another region? A few were released in the badland region of SD. I guess we don't dare have too much wildlife around do we.

I believe it's the threat of brucellosis that keeps this from becoming a commonly accepted means of dealing with bison over populations. You really get under the ranchers' collective skin when suggesting it for a given area.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that a bullet between the blinkers doesn't help the look of a euro mount. We've had a couple guys bring us buffalo heads to get euro'd and the skulls are cracked and busted up due to bullet holes. We can't fix a bullet hole to the forehead or smashed bone. We've tried it an whatever material we've tried (POP, Glues, Epoxy, etc.) keeps falling out or separating from the bone as the bone or plug dries/expands. A perfect round hole in the forehead is noticeable even on a head the size of a buff. Just food for thought. Carry on!!

39799B07-AF4A-4449-9D39-CEC9259F6015.jpg
Should be able to fill in and remold with this stuff I would definitely think. Dries rock hard, sands easily, and would match in color. Great stuff to have around the house.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I believe it's the threat of brucellosis that keeps this from becoming a commonly accepted means of dealing with bison over populations. You really get under the ranchers' collective skin when suggesting it for a given area.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/brucellosis.htm

The irony is many of those same ranches hoard elk, which have been documented to transfer brucellosis to cattle, on their ranches while wanting to keep separation from bison. I understand the need to reduce contact between wild and domestic animals and support reasonable efforts to do so. That leads me to question why there isn’t the push to reduce elk numbers and create separation from cattle like there is with bison. Gotta be more to it but it leaves me saying, “Hmmm...”

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/brucellosis.htm

The irony is many of those same ranches hoard elk, which have been documented to transfer brucellosis to cattle, on their ranches while wanting to keep separation from bison. I understand the need to reduce contact between wild and domestic animals and support reasonable efforts to do so. That leads me to question why there isn’t the push to reduce elk numbers and create separation from cattle like there is with bison. Gotta be more to it but it leaves me saying, “Hmmm...”
Simply $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
CED2614F-B9C7-47AA-81FC-887BD64C0917.jpg
Should be able to fill in and remold with this stuff I would definitely think. Dries rock hard, sands easily, and would match in color. Great stuff to have around the house.

Thanks for the suggestion, but the problem isn't with the compound used to fill the holes and cracks. Lots of products will fill the holes/cracks and blend right in with the bone. It's the bone itself. POP works as well to fill the hole too, for a time, but as the bone expands and contracts with changes in temps and humidity, the plug gets stretched and compressed and will eventually either break or push out or get pushed in or the bone will break/crack and you get the same results. Then you can see the hole/cracks again. We've tried joint sealers, caulks of different types, glues of various types, fiberglass rosins, and even redimix. Over time, they all have given way and the damage in the skull is visible again. A guy would think the porous nature of bone would make most anything work, but it's exactly the porous nature of the bone that causes the problems. The bone tissue connected to whatever material the plug is made of gets brittle and starts to break off until the whole plug is just sitting there and it eventually moves somewhere to reveal the hole or crack again. This is why damage to a skull is so frustrating to try to deal with and why we oftentimes refuse to take damaged skulls and why I try to remind guys to take care of their skulls if they want a euro mount. They will look great when a guy picks them up, but after a year or so, the damaged parts may become visible again and that's not something we want guys who bring their stuff to us to have to look at. Thanks again for the suggestion.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Buffalo skull that I shot many years ago. It has a hole, to me its a conversation piece. Lots of people have seen and and ask why the hole. I just say that how it died.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Neighbors" wont ever allow the bison roam free again. The guide outfitter lobby is powerful enough to get that changed but they are usually the landowners as well. Not sure why they havent allowed this yet. I'm sure they could make extra money on bison hunts on top of their elk hunts.

This will hopefully go down like the elk reduction at TR. I'd love a freezer full of bison.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75