Fishing Mexico, Puerto Aventuras, Playa del Carmen, Cozumel

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience on booking a fishing charter out of these areas? I am going to be heading down at the end of January. We will be staying just outside of Puerto Aventuras which is south of Playa and directly inland from Cozumel. I think I have it narrowed down to 2 options, but don't want to miss something. Looking to go out and catch fish, looks like most offer the option to start trolling the deep water and if no action move to bottom fishing some of the reefs. I found some videos online of people fishing the pier/beach where I am staying, but don't know if that is frowned upon or not by the resort.
Thanks

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think there's a handful of members on here who have been down there in the recent past and had done some fishing. I remember discussions from the FBO days.

That being said, you won't find my white ass in Mexico with all the cartel shit going on down there.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my own experience and that of family and friends, I would avoid going on a charter in Mexico unless it is part of the resort you are staying at. Less than optimal equipment from the boat on down to the hooks seems to be the norm. Almost no electronics on any of the boats with the majority just going out and driving around hoping to catch something while you sit there. If you have two charters in mind, I would ask for pics of ALL their equipment right down to the lures, hooks, and even inquire about the freshness of the bait. When was the line last replaced or the oil changed in the motor?? I'd have WAY more than 20 questions for the captain and would want direct communication with him/her prior to booking. Look up the migration patters for the type of fish you are looking for to see if they are even there when you will be there. Look at current as well as future water temps to see if they will even be conducive to actively feeding fish. Ask what kind of fish are currently being sold in the local fish markets. They can't sell what they can't catch. If wahoo is what you're looking for, but you can't buy it at the market, chances are you won't be catching any either. You are paying good money for an experience with no guarantees, but there are ways to protect yourself from having a bad experience. Good luck, I hope you get answers and catch a truckload of fish so you can post pics and I can think bad thoughts about you while consoling myself as I sit looking at the snow.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you just want to catch fish I'd book a reef/bottom fishing trip. I've had a couple expensive boat rides in my day(trolling for big fish). KDM has some very valid points if you really want to focus on deep sea.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
That being said, you won't find my white ass in Mexico with all the cartel shit going on down there.

Good....leaves more room for me. :;:rockit Taking the family there later this month to a resort, an hour south of Cancun. Not saying shit can't happen to anyone going there but I also have the chance of getting shot or killt here. The bad part of Mexico, is the center part of the country. The 2 outside edges of the country is where the cartel can make money legally, by people spending time at the resorts. If you go there don't go down any alleyways or flash big wads of cash around and you will be fine.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You wouldn't catch me going to Mexico even if was a free trip with armed guards

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You might have the same chance of getting shot here as in mexico, tho I doubt it, but you have zero chance of returning fire there. Screw Mexico.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Within reason, it’s not in the cartels best interest to be killing American tourists. Pissing off the U.S. government gets you got pretty quick in this world.

- - - Updated - - -

There’s are millions of Mexicans that other Mexicans don’t care wether or not they live or die.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
My firsthand experience on the Pacific side from Cabo and south is first do some history checking!!! look up past year catches from charter boats!!! if they never caught blue marlin the years before you probably won't either etc., so you are usually best asking whats your best bet. If what you want to catch isn't in season DON'T go!!! Remember they will do what you want but bottom line is they WANT the tip money so they want you to bend the rod!!! I have caught marlin with a mexican guy i met on a 25' panga with dull hooks and old rods standing up with a make shift fighting belt for a hundred fifty bucks and i have caught them on a 35' boat with sparkles and new shit for a grand!!! I would suggest a charter first:boating: you can check into ride sharing as well !!! good luck and hold on, Salt Water fish RIP!!!!

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
My firsthand experience on the Pacific side from Cabo and south is first do some history checking!!! look up past year catches from charter boats!!! if they never caught blue marlin the years before you probably won't either etc., so you are usually best asking whats your best bet. If what you want to catch isn't in season DON'T go!!! Remember they will do what you want but bottom line is they WANT the tip money so they want you to bend the rod!!! I have caught marlin with a mexican guy i met on a 25' panga with dull hooks and old rods standing up with a make shift fighting belt for a hundred fifty bucks and i have caught them on a 35' boat with sparkles and new shit for a grand!!! I would suggest a charter first:boating: you can check into ride sharing as well !!! good luck and hold on, Salt Water fish RIP!!!!

Agreed....everything in the ocean fights hard. Even the little stuff. I’ve had way more fun by letting the guide tell me our best bet for action and species unless I knew what species I wanted and made sure I was in the right part of the world at the right time on purpose.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think KDM stated it perfectly- that I'm sure many "charters" just take your money and drive around hoping you'll hook into something. My wife and I were down to Puerto Morales a few weeks ago. While I didn't charter a boat, I did go sailing a few times right off the resort and we "caught" a remora that was suctioned to the side of the sailboat when we pulled it back up onto the beach. Was a pretty cool thing to see/feel.

Additionally, if you are scared to go to Mexico, then I'd hope you'd be even more afraid to go to Baltimore- if you're looking at just homicide rates from last fall. Baltimore was at 56 per 100,000 compared to 22 per 100,000 for Cancun around the same time period.

(https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6538571/Cancun-sees-record-540-murders-2018.html)
(https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...i-statistics-death-crime-killings/1426739002/)

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This isn't my first rodeo chartering a boat so I am not super green on what to ask and look for. I don't have a specific species in mind so just looking to catch. I have been on a couple expensive boat rides as well. The most I have to show for it is last year in Punta Cana I had a roughly 7-8 foot blue marlin (captain estimate, not mine!!) up to the boat, but just out of gaff reach for the crew. The captain told me it would count as a tournament catch since we had reeled up to the leader and he had hand on the leader. REALLY would have liked to get that in the boat.

- - - Updated - - -

Good....leaves more room for me. :;:rockit Taking the family there later this month to a resort, an hour south of Cancun. Not saying shit can't happen to anyone going there but I also have the chance of getting shot or killt here. The bad part of Mexico, is the center part of the country. The 2 outside edges of the country is where the cartel can make money legally, by people spending time at the resorts. If you go there don't go down any alleyways or flash big wads of cash around and you will be fine.

Where you staying [MENTION=600]tikkalover[/MENTION] ? Sounds about the same distance we are going. We will be going to the Barcelo Maya.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
[
- - - Updated - - -

Where you staying @tikkalover ? Sounds about the same distance we are going. We will be going to the Barcelo Maya.[/QUOTE]

We are staying at Barcel'o Maya Grand Resort Riviera Maya

Cancun resort.jpg

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is where we are staying as well. Are you planning on any fishing?

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Puerto Aventuras is one of the main tourist companies in that area, we have used them for a couple things in the past, not fishing though.

I know many people want to fish on vacation, but KDM is pretty spot on...I guess when I am on vacation in Mexico fishing is not at the top of my list of things to do

Price: [FONT=&quot]$110 .00 USD per person on a shared charter; 4 hr charter $450-625 depending on the boat; 6hr charter $580-825 depending on the boat; 8hr charter $690-1050 depending on the boat; $35 for a companion for 4 hours[/FONT]

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is where we are staying as well. Are you planning on any fishing?

No not fishing. We are taking the daughter, son, daughter in-law and 2 grandkids with. Will be enjoying our time there with them. :;:rockit

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
SJV3TCDSZTBGV7TDSFLFHFS5JI.jpg

Here's my fantasy - with a fishing boat tied on the hut... and little grocery store for beer and fixins for what I catch.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you need a boat for.:;:huh.................just hang a couple lines out the window. ;:;boozer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you need a boat for.:;:huh.................just hang a couple lines out the window. ;:;boozer

the little fish are fun/cute.... I want MEAT ;)

- - - Updated - - -

OK - a chef waiting for me when I get back - he takes it from there while I nap

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83