Underwater cameras

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking of getting an underwater camera. Don't want to pay more than $400. I can't make my mind up on which one to buy. I like the idea of the marcum reconn 5" because it does not take up much space but does it suck looking at the smaller screen? It would be used mainly in a flip over. The camera is going to be used in addition to my graph. What you guys use and like for convenience of use, durability, size, picture quality?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't know what bodies of water you fish, but lots are to dark/cloudy to see anything. Heavy snow cover also makes it almost impossible. Just saying, you may be disappointed...

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I agree with Wslayer. I would be prepared that the camera will only work on certain bodies of water. I have been around a few of guys that have very nice cameras. When the water is clear in a dark ice house I will admit it is pretty neat to see below. But I have also seen the same expensive camera on the same lake look like a 1954 Sylvania with rabbit ears cause the water was so dirty. I cannot speak for the 5" screen in person for a camera but I have a 5" Lowrance depth finder for ice fishing and it is very small. It works great for a regular depth finder or flasher but I would guess its too small for a camera. just my opinion

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love underwater cameras. Makes ice fishing so much more entertaining IMO. Watching a fish react to your presentation is really cool and educational to see. I would definitely recommend one!!

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah, clarity is an issue on Sak, especially western Sak. I don't even bring the Marcum if fishing the big water. I save it for the smaller lakes and then it's iffy.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fished with buddies with cameras from New Town to 83 embankment and visibility has never been an issue. But I did not start this thread to get peoples opinions on water clarity or when and how I should use them. However I do appreciate your concern. I started this thread to get input from people that use them and what they like and dislike in the different cameras that are available.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you see all the fish that just won't bite - well, you'll learn to bring more booze...

we were on a smaller lake that had had a very reliable perch and eater eye bite all winter... one day we couldn't even get a bite or mark on the vexilar... i threw a camera down and we spotted a huge pike laying on the bottom just outside the sphere of the holes... i went outside and drilled holes until i dropped loaded jigs right in front of him, and he just laid there - wouldn't move - wouldn't bite...

next day he was gone and the perch were back...

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would not be without a camera. It has humbled many of vexilar gods in my shanty

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
when you see all the fish that just won't bite - well, you'll learn to bring more booze...

we were on a smaller lake that had had a very reliable perch and eater eye bite all winter... one day we couldn't even get a bite or mark on the vexilar... i threw a camera down and we spotted a huge pike laying on the bottom just outside the sphere of the holes... i went outside and drilled holes until i dropped loaded jigs right in front of him, and he just laid there - wouldn't move - wouldn't bite...

next day he was gone and the perch were back...

This times 2!!
I mainly bought one for the wife to look at whilst I was paying attention to my vex. On more than one occasion while vex was marking dead red for fish, camera was seeing a slough shark lurking around our jig/bait offerings, thus driving out perch or walleye. Not wanting to lose our set ups on the shark lurking we would wind up and put down other(usually less expensive) offerings to entice the shark to bite, thus removing from the area so we can get back to fishing. I know I know I will hear it from the pike enthusiasts. Id just rather not lose tackle to sharks.JMO

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsLSgQ8ENs I found this interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/323966680850
This is a new style compared to the one I have that has only a 5" crt tv but I fish devils lake and have no issue with seeing fish that come in front of the lense. Mine does allow me a 359 degree panning system which is nice feature

Do you have this? screams cheap chinese crap to me but interesting

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtsLSgQ8ENs I found this interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you have this? screams cheap chinese crap to me but interesting

20191207_130656.jpg
20191207_130715.jpg
This is what mine looks like I wish I had the 7 or 9 inch screen though
As far as Chinese crap all these units are made overseas
Even the ones made by vexilar, cabelas, or the big name brand ones

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see, and yeah they are all overseas items, just that ebay presentation you linked had overseas fly by night flavor to it. The americanized product (not necessarily better) just seem to present quality.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree with that with American companies who sell Chinese built products like underwater cameras that they usually have some kind of warranty within the first year that they would replace or fix at no charge. Mine luckily has had any issues that I couldn't fix myself. I definitely love the panning option as well as hard case that it comes with it is not very portable to say the least but it works well inside my flip over out of the direct sunlight. I just drop it to the bottom and let it sit there until the sediment settles and wait for fish to come into view. As far as Ebay fly by night Chinese built that is where I bought mine from

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a vexilar. They are entertaining and educational. Sun goes down it is difficult to see but it is amazing what's going on down there all day long, and considering in the past you'd just be looking at an occasional blip on the screen wondering was it a fish or just static BS.

undguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Recon 5. Everything about it is fine except the lack of a panner. I rigged up a way to point it but it’s not that great. If I had to do it over I would have bought one with a panner. I have it listed for sale on this site.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
This not a bad deal, and is a very good camera. I had one, sold it, bought the cheap Chinese one, which does work fine, just doesn't have the clarity or range of the Marcum which you would expect because of the price difference. This model is heavier for sure than the Recon 5 but also bigger screen and battery. At this price you could get a panner and be close to the 400 you wanted to spend. This doesn't have depth, temp or direction, I do not think. If you have good enough visibility to see fish you can see another lure to know the direction. Not sure if this helps you out or not. I did buy another used Marcum. I can't get the link to post correctly it is on Amazon VS 485 C

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have one of the eyoyo cheap chinese cameras. I was happy with it last year for the price. Battery died quickly in the cold while fishing outside of a shelter. No complaints while using it inside a shack. Have never used a name brand camera so maybe i'm just happily ignorant. Bought it on amazon

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74