Guys, PLEASE PLEASE be cautious this year.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was on Lake Winnipeg yesterday and a truck with a large camper partially broke through and one truck went down and another trucks ass end dropped in when a crack formed near the landing at Balsam bay. Quite the shit show. everyone made it out safely thankfully. 16-18" of ice.

79261876_10162547007285153_7941025953390526464_o.jpg

Screensho.jpg

Screensho1.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
In talking with a fisheries guy who monitors water quality on some ND lakes and reservoirs, he mentioned that early ice years tend to see warmer water temps under the ice than years where the ice doesn't come on until later. I'd suggest that the reason for this is because the longer open water years allows the water to convectively cool down (wind) and do a better job of stirring the water column so you don't have as big of a heat reservoir once the ice forms. But I'm just spitballing on this one.

So yeah, with the early ice on many small lakes combining with early snow to insulate the ice from the cold, I'm thinking ice thickness is going to be iffy at best all winter long.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In talking with a fisheries guy who monitors water quality on some ND lakes and reservoirs, he mentioned that early ice years tend to see warmer water temps under the ice than years where the ice doesn't come on until later. I'd suggest that the reason for this is because the longer open water years allows the water to convectively cool down (wind) and do a better job of stirring the water column so you don't have as big of a heat reservoir once the ice forms. But I'm just spitballing on this one.

So yeah, with the early ice on many small lakes combining with early snow to insulate the ice from the cold, I'm thinking ice thickness is going to be iffy at best all winter long.

That does make sense Allen. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving I was on Audubon...Turtle Lake ramp area...ice was 5 to 6 inches within 100 yards of the ramp. Saturday...same area...ice was 10 inches everywhere I drilled. I understand that 10 days had gone by, but man we really hadn't had super cold ice making temps...so I was a bit surprised to find 10 inches. Best to err on the side of caution this year gents...for sure!

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel terrible for the family’s of people that go through ice and drowned but not for the guys doing it how f’n stupid can u be ?? Over a gddamnd fish ....... common sense goes long way

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
The guy to talk to on any wilcraft matter would be the captain ahab. If this one was local I think I'd have to go take it for a test spin.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught an early ice eye back in the hills, was a real treat to not have to scrub down the vehicle and hang my shameful head in shame, because of not being ashamed. Thin ice, and eagerness consent into risky shenanigans.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I feel terrible for the two family's of the drowning victims, but to say the Buchanan woman died "falling through the ice" is what is wrong with so called journalism. She died in a traffic accident after driving off the road.

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do they even proof read? Man, I could write better in freshman composition while 3/4 in the bag every day. Sorry you have been represented this way, Allen!

And there’s another issue, the conditions are so dangerous at the Jamestown and Pipestem damns, the Corps of Engineers have closed them to recreational use this winter because of what’s called ice bridging.
“That is, a thick ice sheet develops, one side of the ice sheet is anchored on the shoreline and the other part of the ice sheet that supposed to be supported or buoyed by the water in the reservoir has fallen sand when that happens it’s really easy for there to be a pocket of air under the ice,” said Schlag.
AIce isn’t strong without water to support it.

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
To all, I was one of the many out last week helping with the recoveries. I have been in the fire service of over 30 years and i have been ice fishing for much longer then that. One thing i will tell you, these are worst ice conditions i have ever seen. When we were on the ice harnessed off with float coat/pant, the ice conditions were from 0 inch's to 4 inch's most of all the time. There would be times the ice, which we thought was ice would be opening open beside are working area's.

All i am really trying to say is the ice conditions are not worth a fish, but most of all leaving you loved ones to coupe with the aftermath if you fall through.

Please stay safe and there is always another year to get back out on the ice.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76