Let's talk drill/composite auger setups...looking for experiences

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
So I think I'm going to hop on the battery auger bandwagon this year. The pro's are getting hard to ignore, and battery technology continues to improve.

I was pretty set on getting the Ion G2, but after getting a chance to use my buddy's Strikemaster Lite Flite/Fuel drill combo this weekend, I'm re-thinking. It drilled amazingly well.

Now I'm on the fence about the power of the drill vs. a dedicated electric, and also what any pros/cons might be between a Strikemaster Lite Flite and a Eskimo Pistol bit. Not interested in a K-Drill, I want a full 8" hole.

My biggest concern is thicker ice. How does the power of a drill hold up on 2-3+ ft of ice vs something like a strikemaster 40v or ion x/g2?

Looking for some input from guys that have been running similar setups for the last couple years and what you would change if anything.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been running an Ion and love it. Plenty of battery life and power. I bought an extra battery and I've never needed it yet. I bought a K drill for this year as I wanted something with chipper blades for dirty ice. I've only tried the K drill out just drilling holes in a slough not fishing. While it did work well there were times it binded in the hole making me think I needed a more powerful drill. I was running it on an ingersol rand drill and have now bought a milwaukee. Thought the ingersol rand was brushless, it wasn't.

I'd go with the ion or strikemaster 40v for the thick ice.

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a pistol bit/fuel combo. It worked well for me last year. I carry 2 batteries and have never ran out.

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a drill and it drills fine through thick ice and it does use battery, but I set up once and usually stay put. If you move often I would go with an electric. From everything else I read about the electrics, I would go strikemaster over ion but I have no real world experience on that.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Strikemaster 40v is a beast drilling in thick ice. I run a 10" Nils on it and it cuts like a dream.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got one of the older Ion's. Works like a charm. Need to keep the battery warm for proper operation. Dirty ice doesn't treat the shaving blades very nicely tho...

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Strikemaster 40v is a beast drilling in thick ice. I run a 10" Nils on it and it cuts like a dream.

It’s a beast alright. I tried one out last weekend. No thanks. It’s weighs as much as a gas. I could carry 2 k-drills (without the unnecessary baseplate of course) and still be lighter than the SM 40V.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s a beast alright. I tried one out last weekend. No thanks. It’s weighs as much as a gas. I could carry 2 k-drills (without the unnecessary baseplate of course) and still be lighter than the SM 40V.

You should take Tom Zenenko's job as head k-drill salesman.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
We may need extensions this year. How long can u string dose electrics :)

- - - Updated - - -

You should take Tom Zenenko's job as head k-drill salesman.

I was looking for dah Garmin and dat wilcraft rep

- - - Updated - - -

Seen him around? Last time I seen him stuck at dah ramp. Had to go around him as I was out of Busch light.

Ya u betcha!!!!

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I like my K Drill with the M18 Fuel for everything but late ice. I should say though, I've used the Strikemaster 40v and it drills WAY faster and does WAY more holes. The K-Drill beats it in portability though.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a Kdrill last year and running on a Dewalt XR Brushless starting in late Jan through the end and added an extension to finish out. I like it but wish that strickmaster would have had theirs out to fully compare, didn't like the Eskimo for the full shaver blades in the areas I normally fish but think it has its place. Buddies have a little older Ion with Reverse that works good and they put a 10in bit on it last year with no issues.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used my SM lite flight and Milwaukee drill for the first time last weekend. I also have an older SM gasser so I thought having interchangeable blades would be good for me. I looked at the SM 40V and decided on the drill for 3 reasons: much lighter, I can use the drill to turn in ice anchors and I can use the drill for other purposes. The lite flight cut really well and I drilled 25 holes in 6 inches of ice and the battery still read fully charged.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I used my SM lite flight and Milwaukee drill for the first time last weekend. I also have an older SM gasser so I thought having interchangeable blades would be good for me. I looked at the SM 40V and decided on the drill for 3 reasons: much lighter, I can use the drill to turn in ice anchors and I can use the drill for other purposes. The lite flight cut really well and I drilled 25 holes in 6 inches of ice and the battery still read fully charged.

Those were my thoughts after using the lite flite last weekend too. It really did cut well, and breakthrough was smooth. I guess I'm just concerned the 20v drill won't have the power needed for thick ice like a 40v SM/Ion would. I don't have any torque numbers for those units though so maybe the concern is unwarranted, as those 20v drills these days really have some snort.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a Strikemaster 40v last year after getting a wheel house. I haven't drilled a ton of holes with it but I've been impressed so far. Lightweight, smooth, plenty of power. I ran an old jiffy my entire life that seemed to always have problems starting so this is a dream come true for me. Batteries seem to last a long time as well.

Muzzytipped

Founding Member
Founding Member
K Drill 8" chipper blade, 20V brushless drill (your choice: Dewalt, Milwauke, Makita wins in 2019 reviews). Run this unit until you need extension.
EXTENSION SEASON: Breakout the old trusty gasser, he needs some love still also.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those were my thoughts after using the lite flite last weekend too. It really did cut well, and breakthrough was smooth. I guess I'm just concerned the 20v drill won't have the power needed for thick ice like a 40v SM/Ion would. I don't have any torque numbers for those units though so maybe the concern is unwarranted, as those 20v drills these days really have some snort.

Yep. And my drill is the 18V. I know 6 inches is nothing but based on what I saw and my experience with SM bits, I don't expect there to be an issue for at least 24" of ice. When it get's thicker than that, we'll have to see what happens. A friend told me that the drill battery will get warm when pushed hard so that could be an issue with 30+ inch ice. I figured I could always use my gasser when the ice gets real thick if need be.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Batteries (and motors) are getting better and better. Coming down in price, more power, less weight, higher maH, no memory, shorter recharge times, less susceptible to hot and cold. Brushless motors have changed the game too. Gonna see more and more electric augers out there.
Same with other tools. blowers, vacs, weed whackers, etc. As battery and motor tech advance, cords will be less common, and gas tools too. Not gone, just less common.

Same will happen with light vehicles, then heavier vehicles. Just sayin'..

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75