Good dry rubs and BBQ sauces??

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok fellas, what do you guys like for dry rubs and BBQ sauces? Obviously Tatonka Dust is #1 but I'm looking at trying some other kinds. I have Carnivore Black and don't mind that. I want something mainly for ribs, pork shoulders..etc. My family loves Ol West bbq sauce but again I'm looking at trying something different. Kinda looking for those odd ball ones that you can't find in a store anywhere around here, something that you have to order online.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
grind/blend your own fresh - in an old coffee grinder or some such - you won't be sorry

Google classics like Memphis rub, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

search "Jan's Rub" for chicken

- - - Updated - - -

you'll be amazed at how "big" the flavors/aroma are from fresh batch rubs

kinda like fresh ground beans vs. Folgers

- - - Updated - - -

homemade BBQ sauces are easy and delish too

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
these are two I always have in the cupboard

1kc.jpg
812eScUDegL._SL1500_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I also have been using this alot lately on just about anything, really good in scrambled eggs
980175372_5.jpg

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I put Tatonka Dust on my fried egg every morning but have been trying some other rubs on the grill and pellet smoker lately. I used Jack Stack (well regarded KC BBQ restaurant) on some country style ribs this weekend and Sweet Rub O’ Mine on chicken thighs this afternoon. Everything turned out great!

I’ve also mixed rubs at home from internet recipes and modify them to suit my family’s taste. This way is cheaper and allows one to mix a blend that is specifically tailored to their taste.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to make my own usually and have a Memphis Style that is really good on pork, chicken and salmon but unfortunately it isn't always the same but at least close beings I tweak it sometimes. Every once in a while it is nice to just have something handy when running low or want something different. I prefer to add my own kosher salt prior to the flavored rub if I can because I have had some times where off the shelf rubs are so salt heavy it just about burns your mouth (that says alot because I am very salt tolerant). I have tried the rub your but and they were good but very easy to over do and salty, some of the Weber and McCormicks have been ok, CJ's All Terrain is a seasoning salt that I really like and recommend, Killer Hogs make some good stuff for seasonings and sauce and if you look up Malcom Reed on YouTube he has a lot of good videos and gives a good idea on combining his seasonings and lately I have been trying Frag Out Flavor Seasoning https://fragoutflavor.com/ and we have been very happy with those as most are not so overly salted (Happy Macros, Freedom Spice, Fitty, Liberator, Blue Line and my buddy has tried the the Bunker Buster and Salty SGT) and I have had a few friends really like anything they have tried with Frag Out.
Otherwise my go to is an even coat of Kosher Salt, Fresh Cracked Black Pepper, Garlic Powder with depending on what I am making with add things like ground cumin, paprika, ancho chili powder (great flavor less burn), white/brown sugar or combo the two, ground ginger, ground mustard, white pepper, cayenne powder, chipolte powder. When smoking meat some spices that seem very powerful will mellow out over time such as cumin and fresh black pepper, ancho has a raisin smell and I use it to replace cayenne by 50% if I know I am feeding the heat intolerant, paprika it just depends if you have american (more color than flavor), Hungarian (little spice kick) or smoked (adds a quick smoked background to many things).
Huh I think I know why I have no room in one of my cabinets now

- - - Updated - - -

All Things BBQ as well because they have lots of different things and also have lots of videos using different brands and even combining them.
https://www.atbbq.com/

YouTube search "The Sauce" by All Things BBQ

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Dizzy pig Swamp Venom - wings
Killer Hog BBQ- ribs and pulled pork
Rasta Joes - spatchcock chicken and wings
Oakridge Carne Crosta - prime rib and brisket

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I order mine from Owen's
Some favorite bbq sauces: Peach chipotle Wright bbq sauce, Butcher bbq chipotle grilling sauce
Rubs: Pellet envy eat barbecue the most powerful stuff, meat church the holy gospel bbq rub

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Suckle Busters Hog WALLER rub for the pork ribs I make, Sweet Baby Rays for my sauce go to.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the flavor of meat so I don't like to "cover it" with spices so my goto is Salt and Pepper. If I'm felling really schnarky.....a dash of season-all.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oakridge BBQ, Simply Marvelous, Killer Hog and Plowboys are just a few brands of rubs you can't really go wrong with any of their offerings.

As far as BBQ sauce, I have yet to find the holy grail. I have made and bought hundreds over the years. Guess I just like variety. Right now I got Buff Wild Wings Honey BBQ sauce in the fridge and it's pretty good. If you're looking for something off the wall, and used in the majority of KCBS BBQ comps, look into Blue's Hog. I have tried most of their stuff and it's just Ok in my book, but 8 out of 10 comp teams use it is some way down south. Very unique flavor.

ardee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tried some "Special Shit" on the
Turkey at Thanksgiving that turned
out pretty good. Available on Amazon
Or you can get the whole "Shit load"
variety pack of 6 blends. Haven't
Tried the rest yet but might have to
in the future.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I order mine from Owen's
Some favorite bbq sauces: Peach chipotle Wright bbq sauce, Butcher bbq chipotle grilling sauce
Rubs: Pellet envy eat barbecue the most powerful stuff, meat church the holy gospel bbq rub

There are some many rubs on Owen's website, I don't know how a guy picks. The pellet envy sounds good.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you were rubbing it and it was dry.......................you weren't rubbing it right. :;:muahaha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76