muzzleloader tips

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Without knowing the exact circumstances of your hunting area, this is my rules of thumb so to speak. Tip 1: Get as close to the bedding area as possible, but be to the downwind side and about 100 yrds off the area where you expect the deer to exit the bedding area and head to the feeding area. That will let the fawns, does and small bucks exit the bedding area and mill around letting the bigger bucks peek out once the other deer have left unmolested. 2. Drop the stand mentality and look for a spot to sit on the ground with your back to a tree/blow down or other wind block. The bigger the base the better. Take a wool blanket or quiet sleeping bag with you to sit on and wrap up with. Kick the snow, leaves, and small twigs away from the base of the trunk on the downwind side, place half the blanket in folds on the ground, sit, and wrap up with the rest keeping your smoke pole free and ready. Shooting sticks or a rest in front of you is a plus as is a snow bank or other cover to hide behind. 3. Get to your spot EARLY!! 3.1 Get to your spot EARLY!!! Cold and snow will make deer come out at strange times to feed, especially bucks that are worn down from the rut. I've had enough big deer come out from 11am to 1pm enough times that I prepare to sit in the cold long enough to be there if they show up. 4. Once you load your gun, DO NOT BRING IT BACK INTO A HEATED ENVIRONMENT unless you want to fire, clean, and reload your gun every day.!!! Condensation for a muzzy is a bitch. When you are done hunting for the day, put the gun in the gun case and leave it in the back of the truck or as far away from heat as possible and then leave it in the cold. These are the main things I do when chasing late season muzzy deer and it has worked well for me.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just act like you are bow hunting but you get the extra yardage. Also some people make shooting a muzzleloader look as if you can hunt the same as a 30-06 I found out the hard way that it definitely takes practice to be able to shoot like that.
I used a 1x scope but will never ever use one again. Total joke

HammsRMK

Honored Member
I got my first tag this year after 9 year wait. First buck I pulled up on was a nice one and gun did not go off. Has the shotgun style primer. Only thing I could think of is that I had the primer in my pocket before walking and got moisture in it. I did tag out on a young buck (not what I had in mind) but I will be sending in for doe second choice every year and hope to be able to hunt more with this gun. I had a lot of fun hunting this year, although I am not proud of my shooting as I did hit it in hind quarter but I learned a lot and think next time will be better. I did shoot the gun right after with a different primer and it went off. Oops.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can use the same tactics you would for late season bow hunting only you got a little more range. Find the bedding area and the food source. Set up 80-100 yards downwind of the trail as close to the bedding area as you can. Hard part is getting in and out without being detected. Fresh snow and wind helps conceal your noise but on cold calm winter days it can be real loud walking in. If you can have someone drop you off and pick you up it's even better. As KDM mentioned, deer will move around any time of the day so get there early and be prepared to sit as long as possible. The secondary rut should be picking up so a decoy, scents and calls might work for you too. Best bet is the bed to food trail though.

- - - Updated - - -

Definitely keep your gun cold or fire it off every night after your hunt. I also like to pop a primer every morning before reloading to get any moisture out of the barrel. Once you have a dry fire at a nice buck you'll learn your lesson, been there done that and it really sucks after waiting in the cold for the right moment only to here that pop from the primer and watch the deer spook. :mad:

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
DO NOT BRING IT BACK INTO A HEATED ENVIRONMENT unless you want to fire, clean, and reload your gun every day.!!! Condensation for a muzzy is a bitch.
Absolutely. I often use a chunk of wasp nest on top of the powder. Especially with a patched round ball, but with lubed maxiballs too. This keeps any grease from getting to the powder. In this manner I often leave my muzzy loaded for a week or two with no hangfire problems. If you taking your rifle from the vehicle into your house and not getting condensation your not getting out of the truck to hunt.

The reason for wasp nest: paper or cloth coming out the end of your barrel can start a fire. Wasp nest either disintegrates or burns, I don't know which, but nothing is left. The reason the patch doesn't burn is because it's greased.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot my first muzzle loader deer last weekend. Was very surprised at the little to no blood trail. I was using 245 grain Power belt bullets. It was a great shot behind front shoulder and only went 75 yrds but no blood trail. It would have been very tricky finding him if we hadn't just got fresh snow. Is this normal for muzzle loaders?? I would have thought the opposite. Good Luck!!!

The same thing happened to me with my last muzzleloader deer, which I shot at 80 yards. At the shot, his 6 does scattered while he slowly walked away for about 75 yards and then tipped over dead. I followed his tracks for those 75 yards and did not see a single drop of blood.

4 years ago I shot a bear with the same gun/load. He was only 20 yards away and I shot him through the back as he was sitting on the ground facing away from me. He didn't make it 10 feet, but the common theme with both animals was no exit wound. That really surprised me, especially at 20 yards.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Really big bullet traveling fairly slow gives a lot of whump but not a lot of bang if you follow my drift.

jjb

Interesting!! Yeah I was really surprised. It was a good pass through shot also.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Speed loaders are your friend ,should you require a follow up shot or just reloading in the cold.I always shoot loose powder but definetley a convieniece for pellets too!!Like most my gun stays loaded in the truck for the season,even the inline shooting blackhorn.I was lucky enough to recieve a muzzybuck tag 3yrs in a row,but those were pre inline days,and have recieved only two since,but still fun guns to use out of the treestand during the regular gun season!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
861EF65D-44CA-4906-A2CB-5C45076E1D25.jpg
muzzleloaders aren’t as hard as you guys make it sound - ha ha

this was the result of my very first ever shot with any muzzleloader - maybe I should retire, go out undefeated

Thanks for all the tips guys. I wish I could say they helped - but I just stuck with my same old game plan, didn’t worry about the boom happening per SDMF’s advice, and it panned out

I sorta feel like I didn’t earn it, but I’ll take it.

thanks again SDMF!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if that's all that's left of your first muzzy deer, you did it wrong.

No shit, I need a bullet that just leaves behind the antlers and cleanly caped cape rather than a heart from some horror movie.

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
So what does everyone recommend for a sight then on a muzzle loader just fiber optic open sight red dot or the 1x scope even though it makes a deer look alot further away? Just trying to get prepared if I every draw a tag. Will be going on 13 years next year so i might have a chance.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
... maybe I should retire, go out undefeated
….
Thanks for all the tips guys. I wish I could say they helped - but I just stuck with my same old game plan, didn’t worry about the boom happening per SDMF’s advice, and it panned out

I sorta feel like I didn’t earn it, but I’ll take it.
thanks again SDMF!

Sounds like me with cribbage. 3-0, retired.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shot my first muzzle loader deer last weekend. Was very surprised at the little to no blood trail. I was using 245 grain Power belt bullets. It was a great shot behind front shoulder and only went 75 yrds but no blood trail. It would have been very tricky finding him if we hadn't just got fresh snow. Is this normal for muzzle loaders?? I would have thought the opposite. Good Luck!!!
How many grains of powder were you using? Narrower wound channels are somewhat commonplace with loads of 100 grains whereas a 150 grain load tends to give substantially more trauma although for whatever reason it often doesn't give you much more penetration.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I find it hard to believe the 1x scopes are 1x.
Looking through the scope the deer should NOT appear smaller than with the naked eye. Any optics gurus know why?

Red dots don’t do that - at least mine doesn’t.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really? If I move an empty tube in front of me eye the deer will shrink? I’ll have to try that.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57