muzzleloader tips

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I missed the buck named "Chicago" with the rifle :;:huh

now I have to attempt to bag him using a muzzleloader

Any tips/hints for a first time muzzleloader? (beyond the sage advice and muzzy rental I already got from a savvy NDA member)

I'm thinking a pickup load of corn? :D

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't ask how I know but if you purchased a new weapon take the bolt apart and make sure the spring area isn't packed with cosmoline, because in the cold temps we have now a good chance you weapon may not fire correctly. It could reduce the spring pressure when pulling the trigger and a light click is all you may hear, possibly not enough pressure to ignite the primer over and over while the biggest buck you have aimed at in your hunting history to this point stares at you and laughing. As stated earlier don't ask how I may know this. After a few minutes on the dash of the truck and heated up some functioned fine. just passing on a lesson learned FOR A FRIEND

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I missed the buck named "Chicago" with the rifle :;:huh

now I have to attempt to bag him using a muzzleloader

Any tips/hints for a first time muzzleloader? (beyond the sage advice and muzzy rental I already got from a savvy NDA member)

I'm thinking a pickup load of corn? :D

Aim at the bottom of the body line, it's 3" high @ 100yds.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
My TC with 1x32 scope is 2-3” high at 100 With Hornady 240 grain sabots . 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets . Love the gun . Been passing dozen different bucks per night

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what kind of rifle you ate using, but loose powder ignites easier than pellets. However loose powder can get in the nipple and slow down ignition. Use a in or anything that fits and push it through the nipple to ensure it is open.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you are using the old hammer type and not an inline it goes tick, pop, kaboom and not bang like a rifle. That fraction of a second differance has saved a lot of bucks from the grinder. Ask me I know.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing I should mention that when you remove a cap to be legal when you take your rifle in your vehicle you are subjecting your powder charge to humidity. I carry a piece of rubber from an inertube or surgical tubing. Lay it on the nipple and drop the hammer on it to seal the chamber from humidity. If I hunt in very humid weather I also smear some soft bees wax around the base of the cap or over the primer to insure a good moisture proof seal. There is a reason the old guys said "keep yourn powder dry pilgruuum".

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fiber optic front sight on some of the newer guns covers up most of the deer at anything over 100 yards. Either find a smaller front sight, or put a 1x scope on. Or use a larger power scope with detachable rings...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can bring a spotter with, it helps tell you if you made a good shot. The smoke can be a factor on knowing what happened after the shot.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do not fret ignition, it's never not worked before. Shotgun primers pretty much guarantee ignition.

The only real concern you should have is placing the bullet properly given how much of the critter is covered by the reticle.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, it is wise to discharge it every day and reload fresh the next. If you don’t, make sure to bring it inside every night. The condensation on/in the bbl from cooling and heating back up in your vehicle can be enough to foul your powder. It happened to a guy I know;-)

- - - Updated - - -

looking for strategy tips

how to get the shot

Find the deer within shooting hours.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking for strategy tips

how to get the shot

My first recommendation would be to put yourself in a position within close proximity of deer (say 50 yards to be on the safe side).
Next locate deer threw aiming device
Next exhale slowly and squeeze trigger
…if this is unsuccessful you have failed not only as a hunter but a provider and should be drug by your heals from the village

nybs

Honored Member
Side question: does this elusive muzzle loader tag resemble the golden ticket from Willy Wonka? I have yet to see one in person...

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's much like bow hunting. Second shot if needed is much slower than a bow. This last weekend my neighbor shot an eight point buck, reloaded, sat 5 minutes, shot a big doe that checked out the buck, reloaded, and seconds later shot a second eight point that came in and was checking out the other two. The party had plenty of tags. Saw pictures to prove it.

jjb

Shot my first muzzle loader deer last weekend. Was very surprised at the little to no blood trail. I was using 245 grain Power belt bullets. It was a great shot behind front shoulder and only went 75 yrds but no blood trail. It would have been very tricky finding him if we hadn't just got fresh snow. Is this normal for muzzle loaders?? I would have thought the opposite. Good Luck!!!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were you unable to get out earlier.... just curious why you would wait till the last handful of days of the season?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76