Heidi

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heidi is my shorthair. She just turned 14. She needs to change diet to put some meat on her. I vet checked her this fall and they couldn't find anything. Of course with her age we're not ckg to much. She gets around ok she can still chase deer or rabbit and stay up with them she just needs some weight gain. Vet said high calorie. She gave me one of the Purina's. I don't remember which one. Try finding cals on a bag of dog food. Any way. Any ideas for high calorie food? Thanks.

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Puppy food is usually higher calorie. Find one you like and go with that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I feed my lab some Pedigree canned dog food along with her dry food to boost during hunting season. Its like 1000 cal per can, and some fish oil pills for that shine coat.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, the title of this was disappointing. :( I thought we were going to get to read another bashing thread again.

Unfortunately I have no input on the dog food question. Good luck with finding the right food.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might sound dumb, but mixing up some of that cheap powder stuff those weight lifters use for weight gain and putting it over her dog food might help. I remember some of that stuff had something like a 1000 calories or so in a glass. Hope she gets better.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cap’t obviously answer, have you tried mixing in an egg or two? Lots of fat and very dog I’ve ever been around just devours food covered in egg.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good old pancakes and maybe a piece of sausage or bacon for breakfast, maybe some meat and potatoes for supper, at 14 she deserves it

D-Racer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chips, peanuts and beer have worked well for weight gain.....at least for me, over the years.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
As an old guy with high blood pressure the title of this thread scared the crap out of me. I was worried Heidi was returning to ND. Seriously Short all the best for your dog. I think you got some good advice. The puppy chow with an egg sounds like a good one to try.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
E-mail the ginger and copy her diet?

- - - Updated - - -

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zkr0xeFT4nk

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe your dog is a ginger bitch, with a streak of progressive angst

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hi fat content is more important that hi protein. Especially hunting season and winter. At her age I would just get hi fat food and feed table scraps often. At her age she's earned it.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Table scraps, fat, high calorie foods.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We could just send the dog to my mom and stepdad. They seem to have a way of turning 40 lb dogs into 65 lb Jabbas. ;:;banghead

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have to agree with the fat thing. old dogs can struggle with too much protein i think. bad on one of their organs. liver or kidney if i remember right.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dog can digest tin foil, plastic, leather, socks, etc, but wheat gluten makes her sick. We supplement her food with peanut butter and oatmeal.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some good advice/ideas here,just remember if you lean for eggs,make sure they are cooked not raw,I'll add a "can of tuna with they're dry food,puppy chow? might cause the shits,slow slowly transition change in dog food as to not shock her system.One more thing check her stools,make sure she is regular and not runny,sudden weight loss can be a hic-cup in her liver if your vet checked her blood he would know,small stools could be bowel blockage as well.dark stools are a red flag for internal bleeding,just a few thoughts,also at her age stop rabies vacine,actually stop at 10 years of age unless your pup is aggresissive towards people,rabies vacine is extremley hard on internal organs(liver and kidney's) according to the senior vet at our university,he stated the rabies vacine is a 3 yr vacine but most vets tell us 2yrs to cover they're ass incase we lapse a month or two and pup bites someone,also said never piggy back other vacines with rabies as most vets do,only do rabies alone,said most folks just go along with local vets recommendation,again very bad for aging pups.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76