GSP owners- how cold is too cold

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the hound out yesterday. -9 on the truck with a breeze. I had a vest on my shorthair and she hunted her face off as usual. No quitting on her part.

I wouldnt feel bad hunting those conditions with a hardier breed, but my shorthair doesnt have much of a coat, or fat for that matter. Not sure if ill be venturing out with her for extended walks in those conditions again.

Figured i'd see what the peanut gallery thinks...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Why dosen't sparrow's feet never freeze? Heart pumping blood at the rate of a GSP on the hunt. I do draw the line at 0 for my lab just to be safe.:;:cheers HUNT ON.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If there is a question as to if it's too cold to hunt, I go outside and take 10 rapid and deep breaths though my nose. If I feel discomfort or can't finish them it's probably not a good time to take my dog out as his nose will be doing that the whole time we're out. Over the years that temp seems to be between 10 and 15 degrees, but that's just me.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve heard the saying, “a dog can stand an ounce of heat and a ton of cold,” but I’ve got to assume the answer to this depends on the breed and probably even varies by individual dog within the breed. I would love to hear an answer from some sort of qualified person to answer it...a vet maybe?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve pushed the limits before with no adverse effects. 10 below , sunny and light winds seemed okay. But my Brittanies never come inside. They can only stand 5 minutes inside before they are at the door panting.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I keep my GSPs inside year round. Not positive how cold I have had them out, but I know low teens for sure. I think they are fine as long as they are hunting, my concern is after the hunt and a long cold ride in the back of a pick-up home. I usually let them ride inside the pick-up then. Also, I don't hunt them in or around water where they can get wet when it is cold.

Icumpd

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt with mine to temps in the teens, however I never put my dog in the bed of the truck he always rides in the back seat.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If I'm hunting in cattails I don't worry about the dogs as they are out of the wind. But most of our walks are under an hour and then everybody is back in the heated truck. These are GWPs though.

Sam%20in%20snow%20001-L.jpg

Last edited:

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wouldn't worry about it pheasant hunting in cover. Probably more important to make sure they're staying hydrated in this kind of weather, even if they do eat snow.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One other thing I could say is bitter cold weather is better than cold, wet weather right around that freezing/thawing temp. I've seen three dogs have seizures in those conditions from body temp dropping and subsequent hypoglycemia. This is because they get soaking wet and then cold as opposed to being just cold.
There is all kinds of info on the internet about the warning signs of this, how to prevent it, treat it, etc. but it is usually not until you deal with it that you realize it was something you needed to know about. What may seem to you like a gorgeous, sunny day to get the dog out towards the end of the hunting season or in the spring... a day that is finally twenty degrees warmer than the bitter cold days you’ve been having, may actually be a worst case scenario for your dog.

Regardless of conditions, a few things I've learned to always carry in my hunting vest are water (not only for drinking but flushing eyes after a skunk spray, a wire cutter for snares, etc., a multi-tool for cactus, porcupine quills, etc., and honey in case of the low temp/low blood sugar issue I mentioned. If you see that start to happen (dog gets wobbly or seems confused and “off” a bit) or your dog has already tipped over and started seizing, smear honey all over the dogs gums. I have seen all three of the aforementioned dogs pull out of a near death situation using that method. One was my own dog. In addition to the sugar boost, they need to be dried off and warmed up immediately (wrapped up on floor of pickup with floor heat cranked on high). Don’t wait for it to happen either, of you think it’s coming on or just moments away, be safe rather than sorry.

If anyone ever ever has questions on this, let me know. I’ve got more experience with it than I wish I did.

Last edited:

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
One other thing I could say is bitter cold weather is better than cold, wet weather right around that freezing/thawing temp. I've seen three dogs have seizures in those conditions from body temp dropping and subsequent hypoglycemia.

Regardless of conditions, a few things I've learned to always carry in my hunting vest (in addition to water for the dogs) are a wire cutter for snares, etc., a multi-tool for cactus, porcupine quills, etc., and honey in case of the low blood sugar issue I mentioned. If you see that start to happen or you think it's moments away, smear honey all over your dogs gums. I have seen all three of the aforementioned dogs pull out of a near death situation using that method. One was my own dog.

I would agree. Wet and cold drains my pup.

Interesting tid bit on the honey... thats some scary stuff

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, I've hunted GSP's in the negative teens to twenty below. So long as the dog is protected from getting wet they could do multiple half mile walks. Getting wet includes having a shitty vest for the dog so snow gets inside it. I'd strongly recommend a good fitted neoprene jacket for the pooch.

Of course, I recommend increased monitoring of how your dog handles the conditions. Even within the GSP breed there is a big difference in their tolerance of winter.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have Run em with birthday suit only. No issues. Watch the pads that has been my only issue. Remember that damn dog in bis that lived in Sub zero for weeks. As long as they have fuel they will keep running

- - - Updated - - -

Plus the sled dogs are bred with gsp. They will not quit German engineering.

bilbo

Honored Member
Mine hasn't had issues hunting down to near zero as long as she stays dry. She doesn't use a vest or anything; none seem to fit her deep chest well and cause chafing. She comes along snowshoeing throughout the winter and I just keep an eye on her behavior. If she starts slowing down or picking her feet up then it's time to be done. Snowshoe trips have been down to near -10 and about an hour usually. I've never tried boots; I haven't had a need to yet, but I imagine those would help. She can definitely take a lot more cold than heat.

Last fall I was out hunting in a rain/sleet mix at around +30. She was done within 20 minutes. Hackles were up, she was shivering, and getting sluggish and weird. Took her back into the truck and dried her off, then pretty much quit. Staying dry makes a world of difference.

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
"Last fall I was out hunting in a rain/sleet mix at around +30. She was done within 20 minutes. Hackles were up, she was shivering, and getting sluggish and weird."

Pretty much exactly what I was referring to. I have seen many dogs get to that point where they are knocking on the door of a disaster and you did exactly the right thing. It can happen so fast and doesn't require the dog to be outside long at all. I pretty much don't even let my dogs go with anymore on days like that. Sucks without them for a day, but would suck a lot worse without them ever again.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had Wirehairs for many years. Have found that the dogs vary in their ability to tolerate the cold. Our current pup has a short coat and does well down to around 20 if not in the wind and stays dry. When he gets wet, anything below 30 takes a toll as soon as he stops working. Our dogs are in-door puppies and not well acclimated to cold.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 112
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69