security doorbell camera thingy

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the cameras really hold up in a ND winter though is the question. I had vivint, what a nightmare jeebus. From the doorbell cam not working, to the cams not working, the digital door thing caught on fire, ummm. Complete garbage.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the cameras really hold up in a ND winter though is the question. I had vivint, what a nightmare jeebus. From the doorbell cam not working, to the cams not working, the digital door thing caught on fire, ummm. Complete garbage.

we got our RING doorbell last Christmas...and it faces NW so gets full brunt of wind, have not had any issues with yet in the last year

bilbo

Honored Member
the one has a magnet on it - i placed it on my soffit and we did have a xmas outlet right at that point -- so it was easy - plus under that soffit it never gets wet so i didnt even buy a cover for it. I have one in the garage, one out back. They work and they are cheap compared to the other options.

Have you run yours in the cold? I was really happy with my first Wyze, so I got another to point at our driveway. But it won't work through the window. I know they say they are only good to 32F, but do you have any real world experience as to their longevity?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also - if a hotty selling bikinis knocks I might feel like answering

And your intro would sound off "get off my porch" before you got to the door.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you run yours in the cold? I was really happy with my first Wyze, so I got another to point at our driveway. But it won't work through the window. I know they say they are only good to 32F, but do you have any real world experience as to their longevity?

What affect does the glass have ? Glare / out of focus ? Can you turn off the IR on them ? I was going to order a couple to record outside through glass. I have one now that works fine through the window but it's outdated and time for an upgrade. Mine point NE where it is well shaded during the day , hoping a wyze will work.

bilbo

Honored Member
The IR lights glare, but I found it gets a lot better if I press the camera right up against the glass. Doesn't work with the panning one though. It also glares if the inside lights are on. That's the bigger problem. I was going to build a little box for it to live in outside; was thinking it may work better with a single pane of Lexan than the two panes of glass in the window, but then I'd worry about heat in the summer. I read about some using them outside with no issues on their forums; I think I'm going to go for it. They are cheap enough that I can sacrifice one. I think they are working on a battery powered outdoor rated camera but batteries tend not to do well in our climate.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56