Cattle on state land.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
There is no sign of any kind on it

I would hunt the land being cautious not to shoot toward the cattle. Based on the link I posted above, the only way one can be kept off state lands in ND is via one of the posting methods outlined on that site.

To address the posted state land with no cattle, the site also states the posted signs must be removed when cattle aren’t present.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are 2 types of signs that can be used on state school land, both issued by the land department.
On says that you need to notify the landowner before entering, It is not a no hunting sign just means you have to let them know who is out there, The other says no hunting, if posted with these signs no one can hunt them, not even the lessee. Both should have a phone number and an expiration date.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As much outdoor activity as there is on this site, I'm kind of surprised there is not a ND Game and Fish Officer on here that can chime in from time to time...It sure would be helpful for you guys on situations like this.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
As much outdoor activity as there is on this site, I'm kind of surprised there is not a ND Game and Fish Officer on here that can chime in from time to time...It sure would be helpful for you guys on situations like this.

Don't kid yourself they are here they just don't want to give themselves away. They especially take note of the pictures of deer without tags.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Bingo , a few years ago a female warden got an award for busting someone on the now defunct website

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
If my memory serves me correct , some bean bead posted a pic of himself with a tagged buck when in fact he had a doe tag, this warden must have gone to the owners of that website , got his real name and address and busted him for wrong species .

These are not the exact details but he definitely got busted from the website

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update. So these cattle are still on this state land. Grazed down to fricken dust. Cattle are getting skinny as hell. No supplemental feeding. Wtf

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one thing that sure upsets me. It’s state land, and we can’t hunt it?
Went to the badlands 2 weeks ago only to find a state piece I wanted to hunt “posted”.
it said no hunting from oct 15-dec 15 because of “cattle grazing”. Yet there was no cattle on it as of dec 7.
Are you kidding me??? Talk about frustrating.

I have seen this too, find out who has their cattle on it and i bet if you asked to hunt his land you would get a no thats why they do this to keep hunters out,

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok so today he is finally feeding them. Grinding and spreading hay across the land. I can’t imagine the state would allow him to do that just for the simple fact there are no doubt weed seeds in that hay. This seems so strange

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am unaware of any rules preventing the leasee from feeding grains or hay to cattle on state, or federal lands.

Anyone here know of any restrictions? I think the National Park Service has a rule or two on certified weed free hay for people who ride horses in the parks, but even then I'm not sure how tight those rules are enforced or if its NPS wide, or just specific parks.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am unaware of any rules preventing the leasee from feeding grains or hay to cattle on state, or federal lands.

Anyone here know of any restrictions? I think the National Park Service has a rule or two on certified weed free hay for people who ride horses in the parks, but even then I'm not sure how tight those rules are enforced or if its NPS wide, or just specific parks.

I have seen the certified weed free signs at a bunch of trail heads across the country but never seen any one busted for it. bet they are more concerned with meth cooks and pot farms vs the spread of Russian thistle.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
They enforce the certified hay pretty solid at certain places at Theodore Roosevelt

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok so today he is finally feeding them. Grinding and spreading hay across the land. I can’t imagine the state would allow him to do that just for the simple fact there are no doubt weed seeds in that hay. This seems so strange

There is no feeding allowed on State land. If you are sure it's happening on state land one simple call to the Trust Lands Dept. would put a stop to that in a hurry. One of my friends jumped me this fall complaining about some state land he wanted to hunt on being posted with no livestock on it. He gave me the legal description and he was right that was state land but when he described the land to me I knew something was wrong because I had just inspected that unit a couple of years ago and there were no tree rows on it. Turns out he didn't read the PLOTS book correctly and he was looking at the wrong land on the map. It was private land next to the state land. He was a bit embarrassed. I've inspected most of the state land in Morton, Grant and Sioux Counties in the last 5 years and only found one case of cattle being fed on state land recently and that ended immediately when I reported it. I also found a couple of cases where hay was being stacked and stored on state land and that also ended. Just contact the Dept. and they will take action.

From the Dept. of Trust Lands web site:

3. PROHIBITED USES. The land shall only be used for the purposes set forth above. LESSEE may not cultivate additional acreage or change the location of fields. Other prohibited uses include, but are not limited to, equipment storage; hay storage; trash dumping; rock dumping; feedlots; feeding; draining water on or off the land; mining scoria, gravel, clay, or any other minerals; cutting wood; or allowing others to do the same unless authorized in writing by LESSOR.

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
He drives all over it too. I’m guessing they frown on that shit too

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108