Cattle on state land.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is state land different than federal land in regards to when cattle have to be off? There is some state land I found some pheasants on but didn’t want to hunt it with cattle on it

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know what their grazing criteria are, but I think they have to apply to get permission to post, and then it's only good for a couple of weeks. Not real sure if that still stands today, or if those people lobbying for the grazers and outfitters got it changed.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a state poster required if the rancher is to have cattle on state land past a certain date, I think its Oct 1st. Got to see quite a few of these posters around the Washburn area on multiple state school sections. No hunting is allowed on those ground WITH the state poster by anyone, and that includes the rancher that has the cattle on said land. If it is a private poster, it is not legal.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if it doesn't have that special poster up, you can hunt it if you want. regardless of the cattle.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So doesn’t sound like anybody really knows the date the cattle have to be off huh? Seems odd they’re still in there

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I am pretty sure if it has that state sign on it, it's unhuntable until the there are no cattle in there which means they will be taken out the Monday after hunting season ends

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am pretty sure if it has that state sign on it, it's unhuntable until the there are no cattle in there which means they will be taken out the Monday after hunting season ends
there has to be an expatriation date on the sign so if it is passed that date it is open to hunt wether there is cattle or not.

DareDevilDave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kill a cow, fuck it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Rather eat ribeye than a brown fucking goat!!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cattle have pretty thick skin, unless you are aiming at them at fairly close range, I doubt most birdshot would even penetrate from an random stray bb.

BGH

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is one thing that sure upsets me. It’s state land, and we can’t hunt it?
Went to the badlands 2 weeks ago only to find a state piece I wanted to hunt “posted”.
it said no hunting from oct 15-dec 15 because of “cattle grazing”. Yet there was no cattle on it as of dec 7.
Are you kidding me??? Talk about frustrating.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to the badlands 2 weeks ago only to find a state piece I wanted to hunt “posted”.
it said no hunting from oct 15-dec 15 because of “cattle grazing”. Yet there was no cattle on it as of dec 7.

Contact the ND Dept of Trust Lands. If the cattle are out it might be open to hunting because the reason for the posting no longer exists

ND Dept. of Trust Lands
Telephone: (701) 328-2800
Fax: (701) 328-3650
Email: DtlRequest@nd.gov

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no sign of any kind on it

If there is no sign then hunt away but like always know whats behind whatever you are shooting at

For those that hunt the grasslands. Do you hunt public land if there are cattle in there or do you move on?

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member

If a No Trespass law goes through the legislature at some point, there will be bloodshed over public lands becoming no longer available for private use. I’d include road right of ways too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75