Cattle on state land.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I emailed land dept. response was they didn’t have to be off in winter but feeding was against the lease unless specific permission was granted and it didn’t sound as though there was any given. They will inspect it he said. Surprises me they can be on all winter
I'm guessing nothing will happen. The state doesn't seem to care as long as they get their lease money. If they did these school lands would look a hell of lot better then they do now. The misuse and abuse is rampant.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea I’m guessing so too. Will be interesting to see if he stops feeding. I bet they will just issue the needed permission after the fact.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update- so not sure if there was an inspection or not yet. I suspect there was and they just decided to give him permission after the fact. I think they told him to feed em out of site the best he could and make sure you don’t stockpile hay on state land. He has started to stack hay just across the cattle guard on his own land and has started feeding em over the hill where you can see them without getting in behind em. I don’t know why he doesn’t have them on his own land that is adjacent to this state land. Totally bizarre.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Obviously has never been an inspection. Rancher bob continues to feed. And on top of that is leaving all his hay nets from the bales all over the place. And to add insult to injury has been driving his tractor all over in thawing conditions tearing the shit out of the place. I have sent these pics to the land trust dept.

- - - Updated - - -

67922507-8F77-4E93-AB8F-EDBFEDCEEC33.jpgAC1D82E9-DE79-43CA-9A67-D411E813B523.jpg

Attachments

F3A2FB46-0488-417B-B472-D04E0C35E076.jpg

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could see where the manure would actually do it some good to increase forage production but the ruts and net wrap kind of ruin that whole deal.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The manure doesn’t do a bit of good unless is broken up and spread around. Left in piles does nothing but kill the grass under it

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Good on you for taking photos and sending them to the Trust Lands Dept. As Guy said, maybe a phone call and a request to visit the lands with an inspector would be another step. I've only talked with one inspector but he took his job seriously and investigated all reports of abuse.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I find it even more comical now that they had an article in the local paper right after deer hunting of landowners butt hurt because hunters tore up some roads because it was wet.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Of course their upset if their OWN LAND gets tore up.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got an email back. Here it is.

In answer to your statement below, a tract in Williams County was recently inspected and feeding was documented. The lessee was contacted and asked to feed on his private property, the lessee indicated agreement with our request. Please email the legal description (qtr-section-Township-Range) for the location the photo was taken and your estimate of the location within the qtr as to where the photo was taken. This will allow us to verify if we inspected the correct tract. It may also be possible the lessee is now feeding on private property but crossing trust land to get to the feeding location on private property. The ruts from crossing our property are causing damage and are also a concern that would need to be addressed with the lessee.

i will be getting the information he is asking about. Where I saw them being fed yesterday appears to be off the state land. But he drives across the state land to get there. I will confirm the bale net mess is on state land. It’s often tough to tell because there really isn’t much for markers out there

Last edited:

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you. Keep them honest and stay on the land dept's ass. Make sure the rancher fixes the ruts and cleans up the netting.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"I will be getting the information he is asking about. Where I saw them being fed yesterday appears to be off the state land. But he drives across the state land to get there. I will confirm the bale net mess is on state land. It’s often tough to tell because there really isn’t much for markers out there"

OnX is perfect for things like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you city slickers learn nothing from the Great One while he was here? This is clearly just a matter of a city slicker hunter hating on ranchers - or eyexer's complete ignorance of how ranching works.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
"I will be getting the information he is asking about. Where I saw them being fed yesterday appears to be off the state land. But he drives across the state land to get there. I will confirm the bale net mess is on state land. It’s often tough to tell because there really isn’t much for markers out there"

OnX is perfect for things like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you city slickers learn nothing from the Great One while he was here? This is clearly just a matter of a city slicker hunter hating on ranchers - or eyexer's complete ignorance of how ranching works.
Friend sent me a screen shot of this spot from his onyx.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have looked at a lot of state land and don't think I have ever found a piece that want pastured down to dirt and worth hunting so this doesn't surprise me.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea it’s ridiculous. We need to start raising holy hell over this shit

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have looked at a lot of state land and don't think I have ever found a piece that want pastured down to dirt and worth hunting so this doesn't surprise me.

I'd like to know what you consider "a lot of state land" and where this land is located? I've inspected hundreds of tracts of state land in the last 5-6 years and only a small handful of the tracts were abused. After I submitted my reports most of those lessees were put on notice and inspections were increased from once every five years to three times per year. If the lessee doesn't follow the mandated grazing plan the lease will be pulled.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to know what you consider "a lot of state land" and where this land is located? I've inspected hundreds of tracts of state land in the last 5-6 years and only a small handful of the tracts were abused. After I submitted my reports most of those lessees were put on notice and inspections were increased from once every five years to three times per year. If the lessee doesn't follow the mandated grazing plan the lease will be pulled.

I know state school isn't managed for hunting. But over the last 40 years I may have walked a few for upland but the big percentage of it looks overgrazed or cattle present.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74