7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

lionslayer300winmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Another thing to think about is if you'll ever hunt in a area that is lead free. A 300 win mag offers more and heavier grain options in lead free than 7mm. This is just my opinion but a light rifle I think is subject to what caliber its in. Weight has a big factor in recoil as people have pointed out which affects accuracy. A 243 that has a finished weight of 5 and a 1/2 pounds I would consider light and you could still shoot it accurately but maybe not as consistently as one that weighs 8 pounds. A 7 pound 300 win mag is light and can be shot accurately but maybe not as consistent as a 9 pound one. Another consideration is where the weigh savings is coming from. Calibers with a lot of recoil need a strong stock and if the particular rifle you buy saves weigh in the stock that could affect durability in the long run. They could also save weight by using a lighter barrel contour which is going to be less accurate because it isn't as stiff and could burn out quicker if your shooting a fast load through it. They could also use shorter barrels which is going to increase accuracy because it'll be stiffer but will lower your velocity and energy down range. All in all its up to you and everybody looks for something a little different. I have a 300 win mag that weighs 8.5 pounds and want something slightly heavier. The way I look at it is if I add a pound to my rifle I can lose a pound off my body and the total weight I'm carrying all day is the same.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
What rifle do you currently own that you enjoy shooting? What rifle do you currently own that you consider uncomfortable to shoot due to recoil?

Currently the largest caliber I have is a .270 winchester. It's a very basic hunting rifle i got when I was 14. Shoots great out to 200 but certainly is not set up to be a long range rifle, but for practical hunting situations, it gets the job done. Doesn't have a crazy amount of recoil. I have no problem putting 20-30 rounds through it at the range. All other rifles I own are smaller in caliber and recoil than this one.

My problem is, I have never shot a 300 or a 7mm so not sure what recoil would feel like in either cartridge.

To the poster that asked, "Which scope am I looking at?". I haven't narrowed it down yet, but something in the 3-15x50 range. I want this to be a hunting rifle so I don't want a big heavy scope. I would even consider going down to 2-10x44. Just so many options out there, but I do like my Leupold and Vortex scopes I currently have.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 300 Win in a Remington 700 long range that your more then welcome to shoot. This thing is kind of a tank but you'd at least get an idea of what the recoil is like. I have some Federal 180's and some 212 eld/x you could try.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently the largest caliber I have is a .270 winchester. It's a very basic hunting rifle i got when I was 14. Shoots great out to 200 but certainly is not set up to be a long range rifle, but for practical hunting situations, it gets the job done. Doesn't have a crazy amount of recoil. I have no problem putting 20-30 rounds through it at the range. All other rifles I own are smaller in caliber and recoil than this one.

IMO/IME, the 7 isn't much of a step up in recoil from a 270Win. My top 2 choices for projectile would be 150TTSX or 160 Partition, with 0 preference between them, just whichever the rifle would shoot the best.

The 300Win is a significant step up in recoil from a 270Win. I can enjoy shooting an 8# all-up 270Win. I have a couple of 9# 300Win Mags that are a chore to remain proficient with. I also have 1 7# all-up 270Win that's fairly "stout" in the recoil dept.

The 8#+ rifles are reasonably easy to maintain proficiency with, they settle down quickly and are heavy enough to be forgiving if one gets excited or loses focus on shooting form. The 7# all-up rifle requires full concentration to shoot well. If you grip or torque the rifle inconsistently, it's immediately reflected on-target (or off-target if it's bad enough to cause a miss). 9# all-up is about as much as I like to carry and even that gets to be pretty heavy at the end of even a moderately long day.

Weight and recoil are VERY subjective, what one person thinks is no big deal regarding recoil or carry-weight, a second person will dread.

IMO, the most challenging part of solving your 500yd rifle is going to be finding factory ammo that one can afford to practice with and then is consistent enough lot-to-lot to keep you confident.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What rifle do you currently own that you enjoy shooting? What rifle do you currently own that you consider uncomfortable to shoot due to recoil?

Currently the largest caliber I have is a .270 winchester. It's a very basic hunting rifle i got when I was 14. Shoots great out to 200 but certainly is not set up to be a long range rifle, but for practical hunting situations, it gets the job done. Doesn't have a crazy amount of recoil. I have no problem putting 20-30 rounds through it at the range.

My problem is, I have never shot a 300 or a 7mm so not sure what recoil would feel like in either cartridge.

To the poster that asked, "Which scope am I looking at?". I haven't narrowed it down yet, but something in the 3-15x50 range. I want this to be a hunting rifle so I don't want a big heavy scope. I would even consider going down to 2-10x44. Just so many options out there, but I do like my Leupold and Vortex scopes I currently have.

If you like your 270 and shoot it well then that may be the rifle for you or maybe a new 270 would be the ticket.

As for scopes I have a Leupold 2-7 on one of my 270's and a Leupold 3.5-10 on the other, I've never felt underscoped with either one. Other than at the range I've never had the 3.5-10 over 6 or 7, I'm swapping the 3.5-10 for another 2-7 next week.

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
While this doesn't tell you the full picture, this at least will give you an idea what the recoil will feel like based on weight of gun and round (since you said it was a determining factor and you've never shot a 7mag or 300mag).

https://www.chuckhawks.com/recoil_table.htm

On average, your .270 will give you 17 lbs of felt recoil. 7mm = 19-20 lbs and a 300 you're looking at 25 lbs.

For reference, the 22lr and 223 are 0.2 & 3.2 lbs of felt recoil.

This isn't giving you the full picture obviously.....the .270 is more than capable of your requirements.......buuuuuut buying that new round you don't have is always fun.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A 300 win mag with muzzle brake will empty a pickup box except for the spare tire in one shot and will scare the begerbers out of you if shot in the dark. Its like a 10ft fire ball.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I own a heavy 300WM that isn’t terrible to shoot, haven’t weighed it but guessing around 12lbs. 26” rem varmint contour with flutes in a McMillan htg with the heavy fill and adjustable cheek piece. I’m running 208 amaxs at about 2980fps. My suppressor isn’t 300 rated and I know when my stamps for the TBAC ultra 9 comes in it will make it even nicer. I wouldn’t want to shoot it in a light gun but don’t think a mild 150-165gr load would be bad. I hate brakes but they do tame recoil a lot just make sure you and the people around you are wearing ear protection. I’m looking at a 7mm cdl currently that I almost want to spin a 264WM on but will probably load 150’s and shoot it until the barrel is wore out. Plan is to chop the barrel down to 22” and use the suppressor on it and I think it will be pleasant to shoot.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

my brother has a savage 270 that he was hitting steel out to 800 a few weeks ago and at 500 would kill any thing it hit. If it shoots great to 200 no reason it wont at 500 maybe take the money and get a really good scope and mounting system and reloading. As sdmf listed one of your biggest challenges will be factory ammo

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
.280 Ackley Improved. Balistically it will be very similar to the 7 mag, but burns less powder and has reduced recoil.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What you need to do is torch that 22-250 bbl and replace w/1:7 22-250 or 22Creed.

That thing still shoots bugholes though. I suppose we could do a prairie vermin slaughter this spring and help that along. lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
.280 Ackley Improved. Balistically it will be very similar to the 7 mag, but burns less powder and has reduced recoil.

=h82bogey
Keep in mind, some considerations for me are recoil(I'm not a big guy)and factory ammo as I don't reload.

Kimber Mountain Ascent in 280AI is a wonderful package, but a cruddy choice for someone who doesn't handload.

Last edited:

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
3E6DA13C-6C40-4DE1-B97D-672533B86F8D.jpg

All I can tell you is this 300WM gives me the giggles every time I pull the trigger and confuses the hell out of range bystanders.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meelosh, people look at you funny all the time...............

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Myself , son and son in law all shoot 300's , no muzzle brakes on any of them , we don't shoot hundreds of rounds but sure like them for the hunting we do

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Meelosh, people look at you funny all the time...............

Oh I know. And unfortunately I can hear them laugh at me too because I shoot suppressed magnums instead of blowing my eardrums out with muzzle brakes.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Brakes aren't loud to the shooter. The people on either side of you won't be your friend.

Tymurrey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brakes aren't loud to the shooter. The people on either side of you won't be your friend.

the few rifles I have shot that had brakes on them were substantially worse to me and the bystanders for noise. Good possibility that I’ve never shot a rifle with a good brake on it without ear protection though. I will never have a hunting rifle with a brake due to the fact I don’t always wear ear protection when hunting and the few times I’ve shot with a break and no ear protection the ringing didn’t go away for a day or more.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75