7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Killing with the 6.5 creedmoor before you even new what it was.
The guy Kurtr called for information about the 6.5 Creedmoor. ::laughing::

If you own a 270 the 7mm isn't much of a jump up. With R22 I load 150gr to 3050 fps. The 7mm and 300 win are both good cartridges, but rather than having two so close I would recommend the 300 win simply to space out my rifle capabilities.

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
Split the difference(I think) and get a 300 wsm :D

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Split the difference(I think) and get a 300 wsm :D
Even though I advocate buying rifles with different capabilities once I had that done I often double up and have a long range rifle and a light carry rifle. I have a 28.25 inch heavy barrel on a 300wm and a Browning A Bolt in 300wsm. Mostly I bring this up for a funny story. My wife bought me the 300wsm for our 32 anniversary 17 years ago. Anyway:
I walked into 13th ave Scheels in Fargo when they still had sporting goods and asked if the had a 300wsm. The salesman says "what do you want it for", which means they don't have one and he wants to sell me what they have. I said "oh mostly deer". He says "deer! this is what you want". He shows me a stainless, synthetic, Winchester model 70 in 270win. I said "beautiful rifle and your right about it for deer I think". He says "want me to write her up for you"? I said "nope got one just like that". He frowns and says "then what do you want 300wsm for"? I said " I may want to take it elk hunting too". He says "well then this is the rifle you want". He shows me a Remington 700 Sendero in 300wm. I said "now that rifle makes me drool I like it so well". He says "want me to write her up for you". I said "nope got one just like it". Now he really frowns and says "then why do you want a 300wsm"? I said "do I need a reason"? He turned and walked away. I assumed that meant he didn't have one.

Last edited:

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
So after doing some research, I have made the decision to go with the 7mm caliber. Of course through my research the rabbit hole I have gone down gets deeper and deeper.

I would like to shoot a 170-180 grain bullet and see most factory rifles are a 1:9 to 1:9.5 twist barrels. I spoke to a gunsmith at Begara as I am considering one of their rifles and he assures me that a 1:9.5 on their factory rifle will stabilize this bullet no problem, but most of the articles I have read suggest to go with a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist to stabilize these heavier bullets. Does anyone have some real word experience shooing a 170+ grain bullet out of a 7mm and what their twist rate and results are? Would the 1:9.5 twist be sufficient or will I need to get something like 1:8.5?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BARNES.PNG

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
So after doing some research, I have made the decision to go with the 7mm caliber. Of course through my research the rabbit hole I have gone down gets deeper and deeper.

I would like to shoot a 170-180 grain bullet and see most factory rifles are a 1:9 to 1:9.5 twist barrels. I spoke to a gunsmith at Begara as I am considering one of their rifles and he assures me that a 1:9.5 on their factory rifle will stabilize this bullet no problem, but most of the articles I have read suggest to go with a 1:8.5 or 1:8 twist to stabilize these heavier bullets. Does anyone have some real word experience shooing a 170+ grain bullet out of a 7mm and what their twist rate and results are? Would the 1:9.5 twist be sufficient or will I need to get something like 1:8.5?

IIRC you're not loading your own. That being the case, 160 Nosler Partition Federal Premium is a very sweet spot for the 7Rem mag. It's an excellent compromise of good bullet performance on game, a high enough BC to work well at extended ranges, 0 issue with any factory rifle twist, good availability, very good sectional density providing deep penetration, and IME, a very consistent and accurate offering from Federal.

If I was going to load my own I'd probably start w/150gn TTSX. Might be worth giving Barnes ammo a try with that projectile. Watched a buddy kill 2 elk and a bunch of deer with the 150TTSX in his 280AI and it's quite deadly.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member

Buddy shot 168gr Bergers out of his stock Browning 7mm Rem Mag with happy results and I shot them out of my stock Ruger with 200yd accuracy that put a smile on my face, 100yd 5 shot group was about a nickle and its the best that gun has shot in a while. Got a friend that said he has been running 168rg Bergers that quite some time and also loves them, but I believe he s shoots a custom.

- - - Updated - - -

Factory ammo it is hard to argue with SDMF says. I like my Barnes but these rounds were pretty impressive for a test run

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot 168 Berger’s out of a 1:9.25 twist factory Remington. If I went to a custom tube, I’d speed up the twist to be on the safe side of stabilization. The pill makers keep coming out with heavier and heavier pills for cal.

We will probably be shooting short action cases out of long actions exclusively the way things have been going.

- - - Updated - - -

I can’t wait to shoot 150gr VLD’s out of my 22-250 with a 1:2 twist. Ha

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84