7mm Rem Mag vs 300 Win Mag

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been considering adding a new gun to the collection. Would primarily be used for Elk and Deer. I have done lots of research on both calibers and see pro's and cons with each but I'm still undecided. If you could only buy one, which caliber would you personally go with? Keep in mind, some considerations for me are recoil(I'm not a big guy)and factory ammo as I don't reload. Ideally I want this gun to be light enough to pack around the badlands for a day and some Colorado Elk hunts.

Do you prefer to shoot with a muzzle break? Is the extra noise worth the recoil reduction?

Thank you for any input you have my have.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my 300WM with muzzle brake a lot. Recoil is acceptable for about half a box - then it starts getting stupid. I usually weigh in at 175-180.

SDMF does not like my 300WM with muzzle brake. ;:;rofl

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been considering adding a new gun to the collection. Would primarily be used for Elk and Deer. I have done lots of research on both calibers and see pro's and cons with each but I'm still undecided. If you could only buy one, which caliber would you personally go with? Keep in mind, some considerations for me are recoil(I'm not a big guy)and factory ammo as I don't reload. Ideally I want this gun to be light enough to pack around the badlands for a day and some Colorado Elk hunts.

Do you prefer to shoot with a muzzle break? Is the extra noise worth the recoil reduction?

How far do you want to shoot and why do you think a magnum if you are worried about recoil those are not your friends. Get it in a light rifle and really hate life. Muzzle breaks do work but also are loud. Seems a fast twist short action light recoil heavy bullet shooting gun would be a better fit

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
How far do you want to shoot and why do you think a magnum if you are worried about recoil those are not your friends. Get it in a light rifle and really hate life. Muzzle breaks do work but also are loud. Seems a fast twist short action light recoil heavy bullet shooting gun would be a better fit

I am hoping to extend my range to 500 yards with practice. Any further than that and I don't think I can ethically take a shot.

What are some other options you would consider for caliber?

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like my 7mm Rem Mag and recoil on it doesn't bother me that much, but then again I got an adjustable slip on recoil pad I added to give me a more comfortable shouldering length. Normally reload and normally use 140-150gr Barnes for whitetail but this year tried some Federal Premium with 168gr Bergers because I found a really good deal on them. 168gr is overkill I know but they grouped so good I figured they were worth a test run, performance on my buck at about 200yds was great and the only major meat loss was the offside shoulder that I hit. That being said for some reason I find myself wanting a 300 or 338 win mag just because. I have a 6.5-284 that I like but if I was traveling for anything up to moose I would be grabbing the 7mm just in case something happens to my ammo as it is easier to find good shells off the shelf if need be. Only knock on my 7mm is I need to replace the trigger with a timney because after shooting more crisp triggers that Ruger trigger is ugly especially bench shooting.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cousin has a Kimber Mtn Ascent in 7mm Mag. Comes with a brake and is not a problem to shoot all day. He's shooting a fairly hot load with 139 LRX. Not sure they make them in 7mm Mag anymore though....probably some still out there for the taking I'd guess. I too am USUALLY not a fan of brakes, however on this rifle it makes it very nice to shoot. Very nice. To the point where I'd consider buying one with a brake.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am hoping to extend my range to 500 yards with practice. Any further than that and I don't think I can ethically take a shot.

For 500yds pretty much any thing. Now you start talking 1000 plus the 300 with heavies or the 7 mag will out run other stuff. If you are set on those two can always use light bullets to lessen the recoil but then you defeat the purpose of burning all that powder. I cant think of any thing that wont kill at 500 yds from 243 on up. shot placement ,bullet , head stamp in that order

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like you said pros and cons to each. Both great calibers. I have a 7mm and a 300 NM (not far off 300WM ballistics)

I would lean toward the 300 win mag given you want to stick with factory ammo and use for Elk. I would also put a brake on it, but do your research on brakes, not all are designed equal.

My 7mm does not have a brake, my 300 NM does.... The 300 NM is more enjoyable to shoot. And that is with a 230gr bullet @ 3030fps.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
300 you won't notice the recoil when shooting at game.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
some considerations for me are recoil(I'm not a big guy)and factory ammo as I don't reload

I've killed over 50 elk and I don't know how many big mule deer with my 270 Win. Easy recoil even in a light rifle and if you practice at 500 you shouldn't have any problems with it, also you can get 270 Win anywhere you are.

In my opinion the key to ethical shots is actually practicing at the ranges you plan on shooting. 500 measured is a hell of a lot longer than "looks like 500" or 450 or whatever, measure the range and then shoot it. One I have a zero (200 yards) I make a range table on a 3X5 index card for the load I'm using and tape it to the stock, quick, easy to use and no batteries.

I have nothing against bigger rifles, I've got a 300 H&H, 338 Win, 375 H&H but for just hunting the 270 is my hands down favorite.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have both calibers. We have (5) 300 mags and one 7 mm mag. Never took the 7mm out hunting. We love our 300's and my brother loves his 7mm mag. Boils down to what you like and want to shoot.
I can't understand it when people say the 300 kicks so bad. I bought my first 300 when i was 16 and weighed in at a whooping 130 lbs. Kick has never bothered me when shooting a rifle and have shot many calibers.
Everyone has their preference but try to shoot a few that your friends have is the best advice i can give anyone. See what you like and what you don't like. Remember a light rifle will kick worse than a heavy rifle.
Whatever you get just practice, practice, and practice some more.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Under 500 in a magnum I would go 7mm. Less recoil, no need for muzzle break. Anything further I would say 300.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have both calibers. We have (5) 300 mags and one 7 mm mag. Never took the 7mm out hunting. We love our 300's and my brother loves his 7mm mag. Boils down to what you like and want to shoot.
I can't understand it when people say the 300 kicks so bad. I bought my first 300 when i was 16 and weighed in at a whooping 130 lbs. Kick has never bothered me when shooting a rifle and have shot many calibers.
Everyone has their preference but try to shoot a few that your friends have is the best advice i can give anyone. See what you like and what you don't like. Remember a light rifle will kick worse than a heavy rifle.

what the most rounds you sat down and shot in a row practicing? I guess for the guy who shoots 20 30 times a year not bad but sit down and practicing 100 rounds plus a session you need to have a heavy ass rifle or be a tough son of a bitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both are great choices!
338 is good elk medicine as well, and a good old partition is hard to beat for elk in any of them.
Not everyone is a long range assassin like they think they are...takes allot of shooting practice and frankly very few actually do that.
My son used a 7mm on his Utah elk hunt 2017.
Just under 500 yds, 160 accubond sitting on his butt off shooting sticks.
Worked just fine, even without a silencer or muzzle break if you can believe that! :;:muahaha

FB_IMG_1506044579915.jpg

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both are great choices!
338 is good elk medicine as well, and a good old partition is hard to beat for elk in any of them.
Not everyone is a long range assassin like they think they are...takes allot of shooting practice and frankly very few actually do that.

Exactly thats why if some one wants to be good at longer ranges which 500 yds really isnt. Shooting a gun that is enjoyable and you will actually practice with makes sense. If ranges are even less than that than magnums make even less sense but if we are going to go big why not the 338 edge +p or the 375 chey tac with 350 grain smks

https://www.hillcountryrifles.com/product/extreme-long-range-tactical-in-375-cheytac-m847/

- - - Updated - - -

screw the smk look at this sexy bitch

https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/375-cal-.375-390-gr-a-tip-match#!/

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is a debate as old as the two cartridges. You can't really go wrong with either one. Maybe you should first find the rifle you want and then see which chamberings are available for it. If you can have both in the rifle of choice, then flip a coin.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been fighting the demon within on holding off from buying this. The demon usually wins. My practical side says 300 Win Mag, my heart says 338 Laupa. Besides, who says practical is king anyway. :cool: Shot one in 338 Laupa and it is surprisingly tame. Expensive as hell to shoot, but recoil wise it's not bad at all.

https://christensenarms.com/elr/

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

What rifle do you currently own that you enjoy shooting? What rifle do you currently own that you consider uncomfortable to shoot due to recoil?

I have yet to find a single word, or collection of words in polite or vulgar conversation that clearly elucidates my dislike of muzzle brakes.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been fighting the demon within on holding off from buying this. The demon usually wins. My practical side says 300 Win Mag, my heart says 338 Laupa. Besides, who says practical is king anyway. :cool: Shot one in 338 Laupa and it is surprisingly tame. Expensive as hell to shoot, but recoil wise it's not bad at all.

https://christensenarms.com/elr/

Do you realize that your Shamu w/162's will run rings around that 338L with everything except the very highest of BC 300's pushed absolutely to their velocity limit?

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In my opinion the key to ethical shots is actually practicing at the ranges you plan on shooting. 500 measured is a hell of a lot longer than "looks like 500" or 450 or whatever, measure the range and then shoot it. One I have a zero (200 yards) I make a range table on a 3X5 index card for the load I'm using and tape it to the stock, quick, easy to use and no batteries.

what the most rounds you sat down and shot in a row practicing? I guess for the guy who shoots 20 30 times a year not bad but sit down and practicing 100 rounds plus a session you need to have a heavy ass rifle or be a tough son of a bitch

Shooting a gun that is enjoyable and you will actually practice with makes sense.

try to shoot a few that your friends have is the best advice i can give anyone. See what you like and what you don't like. Remember a light rifle will kick worse than a heavy rifle.

There is a lot of good advice here.

If you can borrow a rifle from a buddy, go shoot 20-30 rounds of whatever it is you decide on and see how you like it before you buy. In the end pay no attention to anyone here, YOU'RE the one shooting it.

Whatever you wind up with put a lot of rounds down range sitting, prone, off of sticks, using a tree to brace against, standing, etc. Find out what 300, 425, 500, etc actually look like when they're measured. Practice is what makes a good shooter and ethical hunter.

What kind of scope are you looking at?

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
- - - Updated - - -

Do you realize that your Shamu w/162's will run rings around that 338L with everything except the very highest of BC 300's pushed absolutely to their velocity limit?[/QUOTE]

Yep BUT I don't have a 338 Lapua....(grin)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66