Tomorrows the day

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My yellow Lab Max has been going down hill for a while now, he made it to 10, something his Dad and Granddad didn't do. He was still interested in life and has been teaching the idiot (Sam) manners and what dogs are supposed to do when asked or TOLD until the last couple of days..

I the last couple of days his pain level has been going up and his interest in stuff down. I made the call to my Vet Karla a while ago and have an appointment for tomorrow morning. She'll come out to the van and we'll put him to sleep there and I'll bring him home and bury him.

I've had a lot of great dogs over the years but Max is hands down the best dog I've ever had the privilege of knowing. He's been a great hunting dog, service dog and general companion, I've never worried about him fighting other dogs, running away, snapping at people or tearing the house up (mine or yours).

I hope tomorrow he'll get to see his Dad Lew, Grandad Whammer, Brown Chocks, Hooch, Sadie and a lot of others and your dogs too.

I hope he'll be running, playing, pain free and happy.

Dumb puppy stuff

Max and Pepsi copy.jpg

Max and a couple of friends

Max and friends.jpg

Cruzin down the road

Max cruzin -01 2 copy.jpg

Working

Me and Max at the VA.jpg

Helping in the shop

Me and Max by the shop.jpg

Max and the new kid Sam

IMG_1673.jpg

20181122_122650~2.jpg

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear that. Its amazing how tough they are and would go through any thing for us hardest decision we have to make as a dog owner. Does not make it any easier even when its the right one.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear. Looks like among all the things you listed that Max was great at you forgot to mention chick magnet.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Toughest day of pet ownership but totally worth it for all we get out of those relationships! Prayers headed your way 2400!

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You gave each other a good life. That's what counts in the end, but it is always tough to put them down.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll be thinking of you tomorrow 2400. Not a fun day. All the good times seem to make this one day and the following that much worse. I had someone tell me once that the worse it is, the better it was, so be thankful for the pain.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sorry to hear my friend, a tear and a prayer for you and Max. LB

HammsRMK

Honored Member
Going through the same thing right now with my first lab Morgan. She is 13 and going down hill fast. I hope she makes it until spring. I love that dog. Sorry for your loss but the memories are always there.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
60B3584D-35B8-43EA-BE6D-B415AAC92C43.jpg
Glad he got to spend one last Christmas with ya 2400, think about all the good times and godspeed.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the hardest things we have to do and yet it shows our love for them too. I feel your pain my friend and sending prayers your way for both you and Max!

Losing a dear friend.jpg

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dang, this kind of stuff makes me not want a dog. We have our first and we love him. Not looking forward to this...he's still young though. So I have a while.

Sorry to hear this...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ah man so sorry.....it won't help your sarrow but your doing the right thing on my 6th retriever in 60yrs who is 7yrs now and already dredding the day,but keeping my boy active in off season with lots of excersise has a spring in his gant,loves to run,plays chuck-it ball like he's still 3 yrs old,never tires,be strong,don't let him suffer.

Last edited:

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lab turned 9 yesterday. This post hit me hard. Sorry about your loss 2400.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to here that. Was just looking at our 8yr old lab Sadie the other day and this thought crossed my mind beings she is the "first kid" in the house after my wife and I got married. Going to be a tough day for sure for the whole family. I'm sure Max will have a good time watching over you and the pup, snacking on his favorite dog chews, chasing critters and charming all the lovely ladies upstairs.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear this 2400. :( Wish they would live longer then they do. You and Max will be in my prayers and thoughts.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77