Need Handgun advice

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking to buy a handgun. I don't really want to go over $500. I have been looking at reviews and it seems the S&W M&P always comes up near the top. I am looking at either 9mm or 40. I am going to start getting my hands on a few at shops to see what feels the best in my hand but before I do I was hoping to narrow it down to 3 or 4 guns. I should mention I am looking at the 1911 style autos. Also a laser site would be nice. What you guys think?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've got a S&W M&P 9mm...bought in 2011 for $450...came with 3 17 round magazines. Great gun...great deal.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A little more than your looking to spend but you can’t go wrong with a Sig in a P226.

Riggen&Jiggen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mainly for home defense and shooting but would like the ability to conceal carry every once in a while. By no means is it going to be a full time conceal carry.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing I've learned about handguns is find a gun that YOU shoot well and feels comfortable in YOUR hands. Don't worry about others opinions. Try as many as you can before you make a final decision. Grip, recoil, trigger, hand strength and size and even your body weight make such a huge difference with handguns. Try find a range that has guns you can try out.

Don't rely on others opinions or online reviews....just because some joker says its a good gun (which it very well could be) doesn't mean you will be able to shoot it worth a damn.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they a make good reliable guns. So as posted above find one that’s comfortable for you. They’re all a little different in ergonomics, balance etc. find what suits you the best.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's a good point...and to piggy back I will say when I first fired the S&W I couldn't consistently group to save my life. It has more recoil than the M9s I fired in the military for years. I put about 500 rounds thru the gun before I became consistent and confident with the S&W.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have time, head out to nodak arms south of Surrey. They have an interactive simulator range and will rent guns out pretty cheap. Would be a good way to get some shooting in and try multiple guns. The range is pretty badass. Plus their prices on guns are pretty dang good too. The last two pistols I purchased came from there and were both cheaper than everyone else.

Last edited:

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure if you have heard of Prairie Patriot on the strip in Mandan. Can set up so you have 5 guns in front of you all with a magazine of rounds and a lane on the range for under $100. Give 'em a try and see which one you would like to buy. I'm not sure if the $100 could be used in the buying process if you bought one there, but would be worth a try just by asking. I took my Class 1 CC with Jossette (owner) and her husband a few years back. Wonderful people to deal with. Or if you get it pinned down to one handgun, rent it there and give it the go through for $20-25. Seems like I would have done that but i had a friend guide me along the way. Good luck.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a walther ppq 9mm that I like, still getting used to the trigger safety. I do also have a roger SR40. The rufer is the most enjoyable to shoot and you could get an sr40 (or sr9) in compact for concealed carry

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's a good point...and to piggy back I will say when I first fired the S&W I couldn't consistently group to save my life. It has more recoil than the M9s I fired in the military for years. I put about 500 rounds thru the gun before I became consistent and confident with the S&W.

Same experience with a Glock 17 in 9mm. Always thought I was a decent shooter. First time I shot the Glock, it feels comfortable and fits my hand nicely, I shot a target that was about 18"X15" at 50ft. LOL. Shot 15 shots and went to check my grouping. Pretty good, again LOL, I found that I hit the target 3 times in about a 18X15 group. One shot up high in the corner, another low in the opposite corner and the last off to one side. No shot was within 6-7 inches of the bull. Quickly defeated my confidence but moved up to 25 ft. and after more than 200 rounds my shooting is getting much better. In 15 shots, most will be in a 10" circle. Practice is important. Shooting a handgun is not the same as shooting a rifle.

The Glocik 17 is not probably the best handgun but it's relatively inexpensive and fine for having some fun just shooting. I do know if I came across a lion and I was holding my shotgun I would not be dropping the shotgun and reaching for my 9mm handgun.

Last edited:

limit2winit

Established Member

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Get a Sig Sauer p320. They fit my hand great and not a flaw. You can even step it up to a x carry and get a flat trigger. They also make 21 round mags

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am on my fourth 1911. Two Colts and two Kimbes. The 1911 doesn't impress me in the accuracy department. My current Kimber is more accurate with the heavy recoils spring I installed to revamp it to a 45 Super. I have had a half dozen Smiths too, but didn't like the trigger pull as well as the Springfield XD's that I switched to. For concealed I have a compact Springfield XD in 45 and a Sig P365 9mm. I started concealed with a Smith Sigma, then a Ruger and that was terrible, the the Smith Shield which was ok, but the trigger on the Sig made me trade the Shield.
My can shooter is a 9mm Springfield XD Match competition with the 5.25 inch barrel and an after market trigger with a real short reset that breaks at three pounds.
Check out the Springfields new Hellcat. Nice handgun.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77