Mexican Fishing License??

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't need to hear anyone's thoughts about going to Mexico or not.

I am planning to pack a rod and some gear to try some fishing. I found if I fish from shore I do not need a license, but if I go in a boat carrying fishing gear I do? My plan was to use one of the resort kayaks or little sail boat to get a bit further offshore.

Does anyone know the ins and outs of this that has been. I found what I believe may be a legit website, but am not certain? I DO NOT want to go to jail in Mexico or be swindled for fishing without a license if checked?
:;:thumbsup

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
you may have posted this to the wrong web site if you don't expect people to voice their opinions regardless of the OP's desires ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

stimpy_red_button_v21-300x230.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

^^^ your average NDA jackal examining your announcement of what you don't want to hear

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't have any idea of the rules. Have been to Mexico but never fished. Was told by a guy who used to hunt in Mexico when he lived along the Rio Grande that if you were stopped by a Mexican game warden and issued a ticket that it was usually cheaper to just pay him the fine rather than go to court to fight it. According to him, the higher you went in the court system the more expensive it became and guilty or not was never in question.

Have fished the ocean in US and at one time you needed a state license to fish from shore but not from a boat in the ocean. Believe many of those rules have now changed to a state license is required within territorial waters, meaning within so many miles from shore. As always, it's best to check with local authorities to receive an official answer. Might not hurt to have a license in either case so you don't end up in a Mexican jail.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’d just call the resort you’re staying at and ask them the ins and outs. Just to be sure I’d talk to more than one person down there.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's Mexico just do want you want they don't bother white folk down there so don't cause trouble no worries .....right

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
License restrictions? what is that? I hear in NY illegals can now get driver's licenses....:;:stirthepot

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When talking with more than one person who do you believe when you talk to 3 people and get 4 different answers?

Believe the one who will LOSE the money if you DON'T come back to the resort ie. the owner or contracting manager. Always follow the money.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
You shouldn't need a license to fish in Mexico. But it might depend on where you are. I'd say if it's a commercialized area you might have to pay someone. But otherwise, you should be good to go.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard you get a 7 day fishing license with any large vanilla purchase

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fished off the shore of Cancun a couple years ago. We chartered a boat for the day and I didn't buy a licence. That may be different if you're not off shore, no idea. Or maybe I was fishing with Captain Cartel....either way it was fun and the fish were delicious.

Nobody was beheaded and left out to sea....for the record.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, when chartering license is included. Not sure on a solo run. Like stated, check with resort staying at.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does this follow the same rules as a "paddlefish fishing license" where I can only get one? It'd be nice if NDGF would raise the limit.

emerald

Established Member
you can be left to rot for 20yrs in some jail, for jaywalkin in cancun, if you get collared by the right dirty mexs-l200.jpg cop,can cost you big gringo to get out of that shit, happened to my buddy a ways back, [advice]pass out on beach daily.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are on a vessel capable of carrying a fishing rod in Mexico, you need a license. This includes kayaks, sailboats, paddle boards, giant upside down sombreros, and empty tequila barrels. Off the beach no license required. If you’re on a charter the license is included

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are on a vessel capable of carrying a fishing rod in Mexico, you need a license. This includes kayaks, sailboats, paddle boards, giant upside down sombreros, and empty tequila barrels. Off the beach no license required. If you’re on a charter the license is included
That is how I understand it as well. Any idea where to get said license from a reputable source?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is how I understand it as well. Any idea where to get said license from a reputable source?

look up a picture on the inter web cut paste put your name on it and bingo a Mexican fishing license. What’s the limit on jauns?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screw the vanilla. We brought back Kahlua! :;:rockit 3 one liter bottles only cost us $30.00 for all 3

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74