Lake sakakawea ice conditions & fishing report

Looking for info on ice conditions and fishing report near tobacco gardens and throughout lake sakakawea. Any info is helpful. My dad handicapped and I want to take him out, just cant do alot of ground cover with him.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ice is 16 inches 6 miles east of tobacco where I fish it's good ice and shore line access is decent I drive my wheeler out to my ice house but pulled it out with a small pickup it seems the ice is thinner under snow covered ice but not much couple inches I see lots of travel with sidexside have not seen any pickups out my way on the ice
As for fish I've caught my limit every day fishing from 10am to 3pm in 39 ft of water the biggest has been 16 inches lots of small fish around but it's been good action for not fishing peak times both dead sticks and jigging rattle spoons has worked great ... Hope this helps ..

Last edited:

ready2roam@gmail.com

Thank you for the update

Ice is 16 inches 6 miles east of tobacco where I fish it's good ice and shore line access is decent I drive my wheeler out to my ice house but pulled it out with a small pickup it seems the ice is thinner under snow covered ice but not much couple inches I see lots of travel with sidexside have not seen any pickups out my way on the ice
As for fish I've caught my limit every day fishing from 10am to 3pm in 39 ft of water the biggest has been 16 inches lots of small fish around but it's been good action for not fishing peak times both dead sticks and jigging rattle spoons has worked great ... Hope this helps ..

Thanks for the info, headed out today, concerned with the warmer temps. Usually drive out in a f150 but I think I'll walk in for another week or 2. Be safe out there. If anyone else has reports, the more the merrier. Thin. Slushy weighted ice can all be unpredictable. Headed out after eyes, minnow heads and tungsten, good luck everyone! Tight lines

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Find a good point or drop off in the morning then head out to the channel about 10am untill 4pm then head back to drop off for night bight

RPNLPS

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Heading out to Sakakawea for this first time. Any tips on where to try?
Let us know how it goes!!!
Fished wolf creek and sportsman’s centennial, slow small perch and couple pike, ice was 9-12”

Last edited:

Kyle61452

Ended up fishing off of sportsman centennial. Caught a 17 and 18” right away in the morning. Marked fish till 1 but couldn’t get any to bite. Tried back at the spot we were at in the morning and the fish were gone!

Dan922

Caught 10 walleye from 2 AM-5 AM, biggest was 21", but the other fish were all 14" and smaller. 16 FOW using a white swedish pimple and a minnow head at White Earth. Ice was 16".

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76