UTV Ice fishing setups

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's see some of your ice fishing setups for utv's. Looking for some ideas on hauling the house and gear. Can't afford the profab toppers or silverback systems. Any other cheaper options out there?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy is making a real slick setup for for the SxS guys:

5E06A370-D00F-42D5-831D-81C49A9411E9.jpg

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow, he would "or" will make a fortune if it comes to fruition. Good for him . . .

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I put LED light bars on the front and back, an interior light, a flipper hitch under the ball, and an auger rack up front. Then just pull the Otter.
I put eyelet plugs around the top edge of the box, and ordered a bungie net to hold things in while running down the highway, instead of unloading/loading everything every trip.
I’ll probably add some rod holders before heading to Winni, but for now the box holes on the Ranger make do.

What do you guys do for the fogged up windshield? My uncle is thinking we can manufacture a venting system from the heater to the windshield. Are most guys just running fans?

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put LED light bars on the front and back, an interior light, a flipper hitch under the ball, and an auger rack up front. Then just pull the Otter.
I put eyelet plugs around the top edge of the box, and ordered a bungie net to hold things in while running down the highway, instead of unloading/loading everything every trip.
I’ll probably add some rod holders before heading to Winni, but for now the box holes on the Ranger make do.

What do you guys do for the fogged up windshield? My uncle is thinking we can manufacture a venting system from the heater to the windshield. Are most guys just running fans?

Fogged up windshield? Do you have a full hard cab? Heater with defrost? I've got a 900xp Polaris ranger with a hard cab, the defrost and heater keep the windows fog free. Except when two panting dogs are riding shotgun, then a window has to be open as they fog up then.

- - - Updated - - -

I do like the idea of those types of houses that stay on a sidebyside and flip over but my ranger isn't a dedicated fishing rig. I might be fishing one day, checking snares the next, or using it for work. I wouldn't want to have to take the icehouse part off all the time. Now when I ice fish by myself, most of my stuff goes in the box, the few rods i take with are in the cab along with my finder. Minnows are in a pail on the passenger side floor. By myself I fish out the door of the ranger, just use the ranger and door to block the wind. I did buy a one man shack to throw in the box for the real cold days. When i take a buddy with I throw my clam bigfoot hub shelter in the box and a couple of chairs. Gets a little crowded but always seem to find enough places to put everything.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Hard cab with heat, but all of the heat is kicked out by my feet. Nothing is ducted up to the windshield.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know guys have cut a hole on the passenger side floor and added a catch cover for solo fishing in the cab.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello I invented my own house for my UTV you see pictured above and rolled it out at the Ice Show in Fargo. You can check it out at Fast Fishing llc on facebook Not many,327195C5-022E-46F6-990C-E86EB0A45E4C.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Few other ideas, my heater is aftermarket, has thermostat that pushes coolant to heater before the radiator so heats up faster than opens and goes to the radiator, took little work to route hoses and air has a small hose to the windshield with a vent cut in the dash. I will try find the link. It works great, I bought some anti fog spray but haven’t put it on yet. With the house setup I have I can slide it out with all my stuff in it in couple minutes and slide it back in - do it every weekend to take the kids sliding.

- - - Updated - - -

Ice Crusher Maxstat - Google should find it

HammsRMK

Honored Member
ranger.jpgHere is what we did. Uncle and I did about the same thing plywood and 2x2's. Ice auger rack up front and I put my pop up house on the hood next to the auger with bungee cords and have never had a problem. So far so good. I do have two lights rigged up in the house off a vexilar battery and a switch.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hello I invented my own house for my UTV you see pictured above and rolled it out at the Ice Show in Fargo. You can check it out at Fast Fishing llc on facebook Not many,

- - - Updated - - -

Few other ideas, my heater is aftermarket, has thermostat that pushes coolant to heater before the radiator so heats up faster than opens and goes to the radiator, took little work to route hoses and air has a small hose to the windshield with a vent cut in the dash. I will try find the link. It works great, I bought some anti fog spray but haven’t put it on yet. With the house setup I have I can slide it out with all my stuff in it in couple minutes and slide it back in - do it every weekend to take the kids sliding.

- - - Updated - - -

Ice Crusher Maxstat - Google should find it
How much is your house?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats wrong with just looping your shacks pull rope over the trailer hitch,assuming you have a flip over shack,been pulling mine this way for twenty years +

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats wrong with just looping your shacks pull rope over the trailer hitch,assuming you have a flip over shack,been pulling mine this way for twenty years +

They slide uncontrollably all over the place, and ram you from behind on slick ice. I have an otter house and their hitch and would never go back to the stupid rope. Also, you ever tried the rope thing across lake Winnipeg?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned to adapt with the rope,actually I hook TOW STRAPE TO THE SHACKS PULL ROPE SO SAID SHACK IS ABOUT 20' BEHIND MY RIG, but i'm cheap and make due,plus not keen on traveling with shack close behind UTV fills up the shack with snow.

They slide uncontrollably all over the place, and ram you from behind on slick ice. I have an otter house and their hitch and would never go back to the stupid rope. Also, you ever tried the rope thing across lake Winnipeg?

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I learned to adapt with the rope,actually I hook TOW STRAPE TO THE SHACKS PULL ROPE SO SAID SHACK IS ABOUT 20' BEHIND MY RIG, but i'm cheap and make due
You can make a cheap semi-rigid hitch by looping your rope through two pieces of PVC so the only exposed rope is where it hooks on your hitch. I've also seen cheap hitches made from conduit.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tow hitch is great. The only bad thing when pulling on bare ice with trks, is they will still come around "real" quick and up on top of the trks. It's not pretty. I had to run straps to each side of the atv to prevent.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also check out The Capper, it's an all fiberglass topper made in Minot

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81