Pike Surprise in Stomach

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Caught a largemouth bass on a small lake in Minn. years ago and when I grabbed it by the bottom jaw to get the hook out there in its throat was a fish tail sticking out. Its had swallowed a bullhead head first and it did not fit. When I felt the sides of its gut you could feel the spikes by the bullheads head. Bass still hit my lure that was baited with a golden shinner. Glutten it was.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
31633.jpg one of my buddies caught this guy the other day

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Cleaned a LMB in high school that had a blackbird in its belly, and mounted a 40" NP for my wife's uncle that had a 14" walleye in its belly. I always open up and look to see what fish have been eating. Haven't kept a LMB in years for fear of finding a snake...:)

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was cleaning a 4-6# Pike once.
Had it on the kitchen counter.
Gutt had leopard frogs in in. Some started crawling across the table when they warmed up.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first thought when he was rolling the gut around was that it was going to be someone's cell phone. Them gators will eat damn near anything. Having that big gill still flopping was a nice bonus to the fillet table as well.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a northern 20 years ago at Hazelton that had 2 golf balls in his stomach. I figured he thought they were bird eggs. What I couldn't figure out was where the nearest golf course was?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
My first thought when he was rolling the gut around was that it was going to be someone's cell phone. Them gators will eat damn near anything. Having that big gill still flopping was a nice bonus to the fillet table as well.

I was expecting a turtle based on his description.

I am aware of 2 cell phones going down ice holes already this winter. Some people will try anything to catch a fish :)

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
posted here couple years ago,...doesn't surprise me tho...caught a 17" coaster brook trout on a little stream in northern minn that had a 12" pine snake in its belly,if it wiggles they'll eat anything.

Al Linder did a fishing video many years ago "pike fishing on the Yukon river in the northwest territories,catching monster pike,they kept a couple for shore lunch,once they opened them torpedo's up they had shore birds in they're bellies,pike would hit them as they walked on lily pads,I remember this well and use this tatic bass fishing,work the lily pads all summer,it produces giant bass,strikes are lightening fast...but thats another thread.

dinner.jpg

Last edited:

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught about an 8-10# pike a few years ago down on Oahe that clearly had about a 10" crappie laying sideways in his belly. His belly was about twice as wide as his back and you could just see and feel the crappie laying in there, Not sure how he got that thing down.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many of you have lost a "depth bomb" wilst setting up your tip-up? We had something hit a 10lb down rigger weight (fish shaped)on Lac Seul wilst hunting/trolling for muskies whatever it was shreaded the plastic housing on the weight felt like we hit rocks until I looked at locator 60' of water,same trip Bob meshicomber set world record CPR ski of 62"s that week,I believe record still stands

Last edited:

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Used a 2lb skip Jack for bait on the one on my left on lower Lake Oahe . When I opened her up she had two more skip Jack's that size on her and the remains of three more skeletons that size in her .
416994_387011781310337_1413161394_n.jpg

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would anybody be willing to fillet that bluegill? Don't think I would for fear of stomach acids and whatnot, but clearly it wasn't in there too long. So maybe it would be good.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
They were minnows not sure fathead but possibly there was 3 bigger ones looked like bass or sheep head some we're still moving a bit
And yes about 3lb ling with a pound of food

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had creek chubs and minnows in my aquarium. The chubs would eat the minnows. One day a smaller chub had a minnow. It could barely fit its head in its mouth. The minnow was almost as long as the chub. Each day that minnow slowly started to go deeper in its mouth. It took about a week for the tail to finally disappear. The chub then died.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had creek chubs and minnows in my aquarium. The chubs would eat the minnows. One day a smaller chub had a minnow. It could barely fit its head in its mouth. The minnow was almost as long as the chub. Each day that minnow slowly started to go deeper in its mouth. It took about a week for the tail to finally disappear. The chub then died.
The chub got eat from the inside out.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67