Pike Surprise in Stomach

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
He foundered lol. I miss having local stream fish and crawdads in my aquarium. Crawdad was the best!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Local baby bluegills are beautiful freshwater aquarium fish. Those little 1" long bullheads are cute lil buggers too. When you see a swarm of them, scoop up a couple. They're tough aquarium fish.

I will say this though. An Oscar will swallow them whole, faster than you can blink your eye. Bullhead spines or no.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Local baby bluegills are beautiful freshwater aquarium fish. Those little 1" long bullheads are cute lil buggers too. When you see a swarm of them, scoop up a couple. They're tough aquarium fish.

I will say this though. An Oscar will swallow them whole, faster than you can blink your eye. Bullhead spines or no.
Just don't scoup them up with bare hands ask me how I know. Its been 60 years since I tried that and if I think about it it still hurts.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a Green Sunfish. He was a mean s.o.b. When my crawdad molted he finally got him.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Caught a northern 20 years ago at Hazelton that had 2 golf balls in his stomach. I figured he thought they were bird eggs. What I couldn't figure out was where the nearest golf course was?

"Tee it High and Let it Fly" doesn't have to be a golf course! I've been known to tee one up where ever and hit it as hard as I can. mostly into fields on highway construction projects I've worked on during down time. I bet there are a bunch of golf balls at the bottom of some of the residential bays on Sakakawea. Especially pick city area, garrison bay, etc.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I cleaned a 5-6 pound catfish years ago that had a baby beaver in its belly. Cleaned several that we caught under a bridge with baby barn swallows in them.

gatorbaiter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a white bass in an aquarium for a while. He was a minnow eating machine. His record was 27 small crappie minnows in about half an hour, not bad for a 9 inch bass.
Bullheads have terrible eyesight and will swim by anything without seeing it, great sense of smell though. Drop a worm in one end and 4 feet away he would come shooting out of the brush he hid in. He'd put his head down with the whiskers just brushing the bottom and do a regular search grid until he found it, always by taste, never by eyesight. If he missed it with his whiskers he'd just keep going but if he chanced to brush it with his tail he would just whip around and hammer that worm. No doubt they have taste buds everywhere.
Creek chubs will hammer anything that moves but only in daylight. The other fish only got what the creek chubs missed or couldn't fit in their stomachs. Fed them one night using a red light and the perch and creek chubs totally ignored the minnows. The only one they ate was one that literally ran into his mouth. The walleye and bullhead didn't mind the dark at all, they really went to town on those minnows.
One funny thing, I had a small perch in there. At first he wouldn't eat which didn't surprise me but two weeks later he would still ignore a worm dropped right in front of his nose. Finally had some minnow available and dropped one in. That little perch came just a flying out of his hidy hole, across the tank and just hammered that minnow. I guess he only learned to eat minnows in the wild and had never seen a worm.
Always wished i could have found a small pike back then to observe but never did. Would have had to be a pretty small one though if you had anything else in there. Even the dinky walleye i had killed two creek chubs that must have been about half his size. One he managed to swallow but the other he just killed. Maybe he was cheating at cards or something, who knows.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 73