guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got started late (yesterday)

Any useful tips/hints?

The thought of it has me feeling sad.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I assume by the title you are giving up pop? Would be tough to get through this cold spell that is on it's way without a little whiskey.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in.

If the thought of a month without booze truly makes you sad, then this is a good "dry run". Haha.

Honestly, you can certainly do this. If I can, you can. Try to keep yourself busy. It's a lot to take in, all at once. If they bother you, change the things you do, and the places you go. I needed to quit playing pool, when I quit drinking. Now, years later, I could go back to the bar, and not drink. But why would I? The stuff that I thought was hilarious, when I was drunk, turns out to be mostly irritating when sober.

I have to admit, when I quit, I thought I would never have fun again. That couldn't be further from the truth. I never look over my shoulder when a cop passes me now. I never have hangovers. I never blow too much money at the bar. It's all upsides now.

If you're going to quit drinking though, do it for yourself. Don't do it for someone else. Eventually, they won't care about it as much as they initially do. You're the only one you really have to answer to, on this earth.

Jaykay

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have been drinking since my senior year in high school. My first time my buddy said lets see how fast we can drink a beer. A few minutes later and three beers he said lets go the school hop. I was fine at that moment. Well before we got to the school it was not so good for me. Then a buddy said lets drink hard stuff. That turn out to be not so good for me. By 1966 and 19 i was drinking old mill. Over that time I have drank a couple of beers or something like that.

I am glad i never got hook on drinking to much so now i do not need to worry about quitting as I have now retire and still enjoy the taste. db

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends what you drink. If it's beer get something in a can or bottle that replicates the shape. I used that canned Walmart water once. The other option is to get it all out of your house if you just don't want to drink it. If it's not in my fridge I won't drink it.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
First you have to admit that you have a problem. Be honest with yourself. After that, it's a simple :)::) process of finding out what triggers you to drink (pool, the bar, a fight with the ol' lady...) and replacing them with something else. The key here is to find something that can be rewarding so that you rewire your brain to be satisfied even if you don't have a drink.

Old habit; Trigger+Stimulus/Routine=Reward.

New habit; Trigger+New Stimulus/Routine=Reward

It may take a few tries to find a new stimulus/routine to replace your drinks. It is advised to keep a log of "triggers" and "try's" until you find out what gives your brain the correct reward to be able to avoid drinking.

For some, quitting is done cold turkey, easy-peasy. For most, it's a process...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the tip. I'm selling my Pussers stock;-).

I gave it up for a couple months last year. It wasn't too bad if you have things to do to pass the down time. My only negative was I gained weight. A bowl of delicious ice cream replaced a few tottys. NA beers helped me feel like I was still part of the team during functions. Too bad it is so ingrained in society really. Almost every function revolves around the bar.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it is hard to give up then there could be a problem with your drinking.
Sometimes old habits die hard or old habits could be a problem if looking into it a little deeper.
Not judging at all.
Like everything else it takes willpower to overcome.
You can do it!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't have anything in the house. I'm usually too lazy to make a special trip so if there is nothing in the house, dry I go.

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take in a couple of AA meetings you might want to quit forever. The plus side is more bullets, tackle or maybe a new boat. You'd be surprised how much is spent on booze and misc shit.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
If one of the tickets to quitting wanting a beer is to eliminate the triggers, then I guess I need to retire at 35. Without fail when I punch out, the urge for just a simple Busch Light is strong.

I have found that flavored/carbonated water isn't a bad substitute. I don't particularly like the taste, but because it's unsweetened, it tends to have a bitterness that resembles beer.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
next saturday the liver may have to go back to work. Beyond that this spring it will take a vacation except for maybe a few. Until the weaterh warms up then when you have your boat out of the water and parked - its hot --- been in the sun all day --- nothing like rehydration with a busch light!!!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
next saturday the liver may have to go back to work. Beyond that this spring it will take a vacation except for maybe a few. Until the weaterh warms up then when you have your boat out of the water and parked - its hot --- been in the sun all day --- nothing like rehydration with a busch light!!!

Sun Tea

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good for you Guy. Here's to your efforts..........BUUUUUUUUSSSSCCCCCCCHHHHHH!!!!

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
He's just doin a challenge i think, he didn't say he hides in his garage and drinks too many beers like that one fella did. Joe Rogan does sober october for the last 3 years as a challenge.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
if i had to choose between copenhagen or booze neither being detrimental to my health i would have a log with me all the time. the older i get the less urge i have to drink. Still want to chew every day and its been over 4 years . Its really not that hard just dont do it. Thats how i quit chewing

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
If one of the tickets to quitting wanting a beer is to eliminate the triggers, then I guess I need to retire at 35. Without fail when I punch out, the urge for just a simple Busch Light is strong.

I have found that flavored/carbonated water isn't a bad substitute. I don't particularly like the taste, but because it's unsweetened, it tends to have a bitterness that resembles beer.

I like these carbonated waters too. I'm over 5 years into sobriety, and about a year ago, I started to develop a taste for these acidic, almost bitter, carbonated waters. Couldn't quite put my finger on it, until recently. They sorta remind me of beer.

There's little though, that resembles the taste of rum coke.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
In July I decided I would cut out beer from my diet. I drank 2-4 beers 3-5 days a week. Since July I have had 5 beers total, honestly they dont even taste good anymore. I basically replaced my nightly beer routine with yoga. I decided to make this change to try to manage my chronic pain, and it has paid off ten fold. I have lost 35 pounds, back down to my high school weight with little effort, pain has decreased significantly, and my energy has sky rocketed. I had always thought yoga was for the hippy, granola crunchers, but it is intense and beneficial.

You can do it simply by removing the temptation. Finish the bottle of booze or case of beer and dont go buy more. Why does it need to start on the first of the month?

You got this

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79